Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Currently Looking...
bridgwater , somerset
Import to the UK from the State of New York

hi, my questions regard the import of a Tradewind from the US to the UK, i know there are similar threads but some are old and others have different circumstances so i will start a new one, here goes:

1. I have found a suitable Tradewind in the state of New york and would like to import it to the UK (southampton), could anyone advise the most suitable roll on roll off port in that area, i have read you can ship out of brunswick, portsmouth and new york but any advice or further details would be great.

2. has anyone dealt with anyone that can collect and deliver airstreams in this area?

3. does anyone understand import duty/tax/vat of airstreams into the UK?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks ian

ciderpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Hastings , UK
Hi Ian.

I'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing. My trailers an 73 31ft Sovereign.

I'm shipping out of Balimore to Southampton or Thamesport using

Michael Gastil
Schumacher Cargo Logistics, Inc. - LOS ANGELES - HOUSTON - MIAMI - CHARLESTON - NEW YORK
Corporate Address: 550 W 135th St, Gardena, CA 90248 - USA
Tel: 562 408-6677 - Fax: 562 408-6636
E-Mail: Web Site:

Their quote was cheapest at about $3800, they replied quickly to our email and were very helpful.

You can expect to pay $1 a mile having it towed to a port.

The duties are as follows –

You pay 2.5% on the total cost of bringing the Airstream over.

If it’s under 7 meters long and 2.4meters wide then you pay VAT at the current rate.

I hope this is helpful – please keep us posted on your progress.

lgastall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
We have been involved in many imports, mostly MH's but recently trailers are becoming popular.
Your main worries will be using these trailers on the roads. I may be able to help here. Electric Brakes are the main stumbling block. Recently there has been a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, between new owners and VOSA/DVLA etc., so they are becoming aware of the limitations of the classic trailer, and as such road-side checks are now common. There is nothing wrong with the electric brake, but remember that only the vehicle fitted with the actuator can tow the trailer. It is such a grey area that it is now better to conform than "buck" the trend. - Thatís where it gets costly.

You either modify the brakes to take a cable, change the axle or go the whole hog and re-chassis, which is the best way because then there is a chance to re-balance the trailer so to come within the majority of tow vehicles hitch weights. You also gain the convenience of corner steadies and a proper park brake.
I have a contact in the States who can do this - probably cheaper than here,

On importation, you may already know that you pay duty on the value (sale price) plus shipping costs. The duty rate depends very much on the size. Then you add VAT to the total. When shipping consider if you REALLY want to keep the roof AC this side of the Ďpondí as this bumps up the price somewhat, so do awnings. The shipper often re-measures the trailers and will take the extreme measurements, which includes all the outside bits. Some owners even remove the awning and put it inside - but remember the shippers are no fools, check first and donít forget the brackets on the side.

It sounds petty, but it can make the difference of a $1000 or so.
I am not far from Southampton and can offer services - including all electrics, road and domestic, and a small camp site.
Dorset UK

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1965 20' Globetrotter
Bromsgrove , Worcestershire
I chose Carship/transglobal, Will Pocock was extremely helpful and gave a full door to door service at a reasonable price. They have offices in both the UK and the US. they also know their way around UK customs.

I didn't have to pay VAT!

Contact details:

Trans Global Logistics UK Limited
Richmond House
Avonmouth Way
BS11 8DE

Telephone: +44 (0) 117 938 1919
Freephone: 0800 783 9351 (UK only)
Fax: +44 (0) 560 310 6060
Chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote