Old 02-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Fontana , Wisconsin
Hi, We are new to trailers and in need of some info anyone can share. Just starting to look at Argosy trailers. I have a Chevy Silvarado 1/2 ton 1500 V-8 2wd now. My garage is door size 9'11,1/2'' high, 9'11'' wide, length in garage is 23' 11''. What can I pull ,and fit in the garage.? Anyone with info on years and diferent models will help us on our search.Thanks much!! P.S . I'll get a bigger truck when I can.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
If I use the $1.25/mile for towing that someone mentions here, I come up with about $2k to go from Phoenix to Seattle (about 1500 miles.)

Does that sound like it's in range? I'm looking for a trailer. There seem to be some good ones in Phoenix but I need to understand what it will cost me (roughly) to get it up to me. Not really sure I want to take 4 days to drive down and back to pick up a trailer. Would cost me $850 in gas + at least a night in a hotel.

Is $2k a decent estimate to have someone bring a trailer to me? Figure length is less than 30 ft.

thanks
John

Old 12-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Just my thought on this would be to save your $2k and put it towards a trailer that is local enough to you so it can be seen. I bought one that was not quite local but than again not that far either. We did take a drive out to see it after I bought it off E-bay. I paid a deposit through paypal but when it came to paying the remainder I asked the seller if they could hold it for several weeks for me. This worked out for me and for them too. I needed time to arrange a parking spot and it allowed me to send them a check ( to avoid the paypal fees) and the check time to clear before picking it up. They were able and happy to work with me since they were not aware of the 4% paypal charges. During this time ( after the check cleared) they sent me the title and I was able to register it in my state so when we picked it up all was done. All in all we were happy with the purchase. The trailer, while 20+ years old, was as stated and fully functional and we towed it home and have enjoyed it a lot. This is a big purchase to make sight unseen and I would hesistate to recommend doing it.

Good luck, whichever route you choose.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_brooks View Post
If I use the $1.25/mile for towing that someone mentions here, I come up with about $2k to go from Phoenix to Seattle (about 1500 miles.)

Does that sound like it's in range? I'm looking for a trailer. There seem to be some good ones in Phoenix but I need to understand what it will cost me (roughly) to get it up to me. Not really sure I want to take 4 days to drive down and back to pick up a trailer. Would cost me $850 in gas + at least a night in a hotel.

Is $2k a decent estimate to have someone bring a trailer to me? Figure length is less than 30 ft.

thanks
John
Sounds about right. Earlier this year, I priced having a trailer moved from Minnesota to Maryland (~1100 miles) and the estimates came in from $1700-$2300. Compare that with taking a week off work, and a whirlwind drive out there and back. I calculated expenses for me driving out and back to be at least $1200 (fuel, hotels on the way out, camping on the way back, meals).

We ended up not doing it because we decided not to buy the camper in question, and we found one more local.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
You may have been told, but make sure to see the trailer (or have someone you trust inspect it). There are a lot of scams out there. You don't want to buy a trailer that doesn't exist!!

I agree that putting the money into a local trailer makes a lot of sense, especially if you plan on getting an old one. That could be well over half of the cost of a vintage one. If I was going to buy a trailer that far away I would go get it and have a vacation on the way back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_brooks View Post

thanks
John