Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Just wondering if anybody else has imported an Airstream into Canada lately (2007). What can we expect?

Rod
72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
We ordered a 2007 75th here in Ontario in late summer and took delivery in October, and I don't think there was much issue. Even to import, which we considered, our research suggested that all Airstreams would be exceptable for importation, so our backup plan was to buy the same unit in CT or NJ. The only difference I noticed was that they installed the thermostat in the bathroom instead of above/besides the stove. Another member (Macfrodge) on the forum bought a 25fter from a dealer in the eastern US and imported no problem. My try sending her a PM as well.

Silly mind you... thermostat in a small enclosed room... somebody isn't too swift... Needless to say, the heat/cooling cycle is nuts in our unit...

Good luck!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Imported an Argosy last April without any problems... and will be importing a car this spring.. just make sure you do yoiur homework.. check the web site for importing trailers.. ours is a 1979 Argosy and claimed my 750 dollar exemption toward the purchase price for gst.. had title, receipt and necessary paperwork.. customs want to know where you saw it advertised and if you have any proof.... and they will search your vehicle for reciept if they think yours is not real ...we would do it again.. If you are honest and have nothing to hide.. nothing to lose and everything to gain..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
I imported the SPRINTER Cab and Chassis tow vehicle shown in my avatar (to the left) from the USA last July.

Go to the website for the REGISTRAR OF IMPORTED VEHICLES, www.riv.ca.

All the information is there.

The vehicle must meet several criteria such as being built or assembled in the USA, have a compliance label attached, daytime running lights, metric symbols and French labels on the seat belts and air bag systems etc.

You must make an appointment to present the vehicle to US CUSTOMS and BORDER PROTECTION 72 hours in advance and present them with the original bill of sale, title or, in lieu of that, the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin.

Once your papers are stamped on the US side you will proceed to Canada Customs. There you need all the papers mentioned PLUS a letter, on the dealer’s letterhead, stating that the vehicle has no recall notices against it.

You will pay the GST on the converted value and the RIV fee of $206.70 to Canada Customs at the border.

RIV will send you an inspection form. You have up to 40 days to have the vehicle inspected at an authorized station, such as all the Canadian Tire stores in Canada.

Once you have that approval you will be able to buy your provincial license plate. This is where you will be charged the PST on the converted value for customs purposes.

None of this was difficult. It went very smoothly.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
You must make an appointment to present the vehicle to US CUSTOMS and BORDER PROTECTION 72 hours in advance and present them with the original bill of sale, title or, in lieu of that, the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin.
Based on my experience, if you are importing a trailer as opposed to a motorhome, you don't need to make the 72 hour advance appointment with Export Control at US Customs. I had called them prior to our export, and they told me I didn't have to make the advance appointment, but they advised me to stop at Export Control on the way through to Canada Customs. We did that, and the US Border Guard politely told me to buzz off, I didn't need to stop as it was a trailer, and not motorized.

I'd of course call first and verify as these laws are constantly changing - I called the actual Border location that I was planning on crossing through and spoke with someone there rather than someone on the end of the toll-free number.

On another note, when I went to the MTO (Ontario) office to pay my PST and get the license plate, they wanted to take the original title and replace it with the yukky, boring green ownership paper. No way they were taking my amazing-looking title - I was armed with a printout from their website stating that I could keep the original title provided I could give them a legible photocopy. I had difficulties - supervisors were called, the works. I made it clear I was keeping it - it's a part of the history of my aluminum beauty (I won). Be sure to bring along a good photocopy if you wish to keep it.

Good luck
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Congratulations on your new purchase... We have imported an Argosy last year and imported a small car this spring... just finished with all the paper work for the car and the inspection... easy... just do your homework. We would do it again... the car I mean.. The Argosy is starting reno and it will be the last restoration... time to enjoy ..
WBCCI 10103
Old 05-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
.. ours is a 1979 Argosy and claimed my 750 dollar exemption toward the purchase price for gst..
I have not seen any information about claiming $750 towards the the price for GST. Could you explain this a little more?

Thanks,

Rod
Old 05-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Hello.. We had been south for the winter and had 750 dollars each of us could bring back from the US... One of us used it towards our purchase of the trailer.. and only had to pay the gst on the remaining balance...
WBCCI 10103
Old 05-24-2007, 09:51 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Oh now I see what you mean! Great idea!

Rod
Old 05-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Rod, if you and your wife go you each get to declare the deduction I think, what ever the amount is for the time you are away. And if you take the kids ........it could get even better. Check the website, but I do believe it can all be combined.

We are heading down late this week to look at a rig for Lee (with the '35 Ford and 17' Boler you met at Deming two years ago with us), and he's busy researching all the ins and outs as well.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Turns out it's no big hassle.

Canadian side bringing the trailer in

1. as long as you have a title,
2. a bill of sale from the seller with the same name as noted on the title
3. it has to be 15 years or older to not require the Ministry of Transport requirements. If it is 15 years or newer you can bring it in but it then has to go for certification.
4. you pay GST and you are off

US side when exiting the US with trailer in tow:

1. export rules do exist even though this is a trailer and not motorized
2. you are still required to stop at the US Customs and they will confirm the title s/n matches the trailer s/n, and that it was sold by the title holder.
3. unlike motorized vehicles where you are required to provide them with all the appropriate documents 72 hours in advance of your arrival, with a trailer no advance notice is required and we understand that this can be done during their office business hours (not sure about weekends but I got the impression that you could)

I hope that helps. We will be physically doing this next week so if we hit any variances I will let you know.

Barry
Old 06-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Rod, if you and your wife go you each get to declare the deduction I think, what ever the amount is for the time you are away. And if you take the kids ........it could get even better. Check the website, but I do believe it can all be combined.
Barry
It can't be combined.

From: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...44-e.html#P026
What conditions apply to your personal exemptions?
You cannot combine your personal exemptions with another person's or transfer them to someone else.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Thanks for looking that up DavidsonOverlander. Well that's too bad we can't leverage that angle. Oh well, the spouse can declare all the goodies you pick up at Camping World on the return trip maybe.

With the Canadian dollar getting close to par this is also a great time to make those purchases over the line.

Barry