Old 01-23-2006, 08:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hey alot happens in 7 years.

Check out the web site for all the detailed info.
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Oh by the way - see even things change in 2 years - now the fees are up to 209 from 180 for Ontario.......
Our trailer was well over 15 years old, so it would have been exempt (if they even had RIV in 1998).
From http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/rc4140-05e.pdf

RIV program exemptions
You can import a vehicle from the United States
without registering it into the RIV program if the
vehicle is:
- fifteen years or older

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
DavidsonOverlander -I was not refering to your posts - I was discussing importing in general and the program is still in affect - you just have to get exempt from the program. For all you know the customs officer could have just filled out the Form 1 for you and you may not have been aware of it...

As I stated in my first post - below as well in my first post I was refering to fees - that was two years ago and was noting that the fees have also changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
It is really easy to import Airstream Trailers from the states.........

Note if you are buying a trailer over 15 years old - then it is exempt from the VIP. However, YOU MUST still request a vehicle import program "Form One" at the border and ensure that it is stamped as coming into Canada then stamped AGAIN in the exempt box........

Old 01-29-2006, 07:08 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lachenaie , Quebec
Importing to Canada

I live in Montreal, Canada, and have imported a few times used vehicules from the US to Canada. Check the Canadian Registrar of IMported Vehicules (http://www.riv.ca/) to find all you need to know before importing. To the best of my knowledge, any Airstream can go through customs without any modifications. You will need to pay around $250 CND for Importation fee, $100 for A/C tax, and then some other tax based on the value of the unit to bring it to Canadian Price. Total cost should be equal if not higher than buying in Canada but then again, if you get what you want, who cares!!!

Regards!

Daniel
Old 01-29-2006, 07:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_lemire
........ You will need to pay around $250 CND for Importation fee, $100 for A/C tax,
Regards!

Daniel

The $100 for A/C only applies to vehicle that are propelled by motors and not Travel trailers A/C's/

Not sure what you are talking about re $250 - is that for Quebec???

The Fee is $209.

As well not sure what you mean about bring the price up to Canadian.

You pay GST at the border on the Value of the Rig - what you paid (bill of sale) - the US funds is converted to Canadian if that is what you mean and you pay the GST on the Converted amount. You then pay the PST when you register for plates at the Licensing Office - (MTO - Ontario).

What do you call your Quebec offices? TQM (Ministry of Quebec Transport)?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lachenaie , Quebec
Thanks for the update on fees. I didn't know there was no fee for the A/C on a trailer. This is going to be usefull when I'll get mine in Canada. Indeed, fees are higher in Quebec, as always and top $259 exactly. And for the record, the Quebec counterpart of the Ontario Licensing Office is the SAAQ - Société de l'Assurance Automobile du Québec!

Regards,

Daniel Lemire
Old 01-30-2006, 07:40 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Have you not already got your 64 Soveriegn in Quebec?

Or are you getting another one, uuuuueeeee exciting what are you getting.

You know if you go for a second one you are done for life - you will start collecting them as if they are dinky toys - only problem they take up a lot more room
Old 03-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Just wondering if anybody else has imported an Airstream into Canada lately (2007). What can we expect?

Rod
Old 03-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
We ordered a 2007 75th here in Ontario in late summer and took delivery in October, and I don't think there was much issue. Even to import, which we considered, our research suggested that all Airstreams would be exceptable for importation, so our backup plan was to buy the same unit in CT or NJ. The only difference I noticed was that they installed the thermostat in the bathroom instead of above/besides the stove. Another member (Macfrodge) on the forum bought a 25fter from a dealer in the eastern US and imported no problem. My try sending her a PM as well.

Silly mind you... thermostat in a small enclosed room... somebody isn't too swift... Needless to say, the heat/cooling cycle is nuts in our unit...

Good luck!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Imported an Argosy last April without any problems... and will be importing a car this spring.. just make sure you do yoiur homework.. check the web site for importing trailers.. ours is a 1979 Argosy and claimed my 750 dollar exemption toward the purchase price for gst.. had title, receipt and necessary paperwork.. customs want to know where you saw it advertised and if you have any proof.... and they will search your vehicle for reciept if they think yours is not real ...we would do it again.. If you are honest and have nothing to hide.. nothing to lose and everything to gain..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
I imported the SPRINTER Cab and Chassis tow vehicle shown in my avatar (to the left) from the USA last July.

Go to the website for the REGISTRAR OF IMPORTED VEHICLES, www.riv.ca.

All the information is there.

The vehicle must meet several criteria such as being built or assembled in the USA, have a compliance label attached, daytime running lights, metric symbols and French labels on the seat belts and air bag systems etc.

You must make an appointment to present the vehicle to US CUSTOMS and BORDER PROTECTION 72 hours in advance and present them with the original bill of sale, title or, in lieu of that, the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin.

Once your papers are stamped on the US side you will proceed to Canada Customs. There you need all the papers mentioned PLUS a letter, on the dealer’s letterhead, stating that the vehicle has no recall notices against it.

You will pay the GST on the converted value and the RIV fee of $206.70 to Canada Customs at the border.

RIV will send you an inspection form. You have up to 40 days to have the vehicle inspected at an authorized station, such as all the Canadian Tire stores in Canada.

Once you have that approval you will be able to buy your provincial license plate. This is where you will be charged the PST on the converted value for customs purposes.

None of this was difficult. It went very smoothly.

Sergei
Old 05-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
You must make an appointment to present the vehicle to US CUSTOMS and BORDER PROTECTION 72 hours in advance and present them with the original bill of sale, title or, in lieu of that, the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin.
Based on my experience, if you are importing a trailer as opposed to a motorhome, you don't need to make the 72 hour advance appointment with Export Control at US Customs. I had called them prior to our export, and they told me I didn't have to make the advance appointment, but they advised me to stop at Export Control on the way through to Canada Customs. We did that, and the US Border Guard politely told me to buzz off, I didn't need to stop as it was a trailer, and not motorized.

I'd of course call first and verify as these laws are constantly changing - I called the actual Border location that I was planning on crossing through and spoke with someone there rather than someone on the end of the toll-free number.

On another note, when I went to the MTO (Ontario) office to pay my PST and get the license plate, they wanted to take the original title and replace it with the yukky, boring green ownership paper. No way they were taking my amazing-looking title - I was armed with a printout from their website stating that I could keep the original title provided I could give them a legible photocopy. I had difficulties - supervisors were called, the works. I made it clear I was keeping it - it's a part of the history of my aluminum beauty (I won). Be sure to bring along a good photocopy if you wish to keep it.

Good luck
Old 05-23-2007, 09:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Congratulations on your new purchase... We have imported an Argosy last year and imported a small car this spring... just finished with all the paper work for the car and the inspection... easy... just do your homework. We would do it again... the car I mean.. The Argosy is starting reno and it will be the last restoration... time to enjoy ..
WBCCI 10103
Old 05-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
.. ours is a 1979 Argosy and claimed my 750 dollar exemption toward the purchase price for gst..
I have not seen any information about claiming $750 towards the the price for GST. Could you explain this a little more?

Thanks,

Rod
Old 05-24-2007, 10:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Hello.. We had been south for the winter and had 750 dollars each of us could bring back from the US... One of us used it towards our purchase of the trailer.. and only had to pay the gst on the remaining balance...

WBCCI 10103