Old 12-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

salzburg , salzburg
Buying & Shipping an Airstream To Europe Advice

Hello, anyone considering buying an Airstream in the U.S and shipping it to Europe P.M me and i'll let you know the pitfalls i had with mine!!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
Evergreen , Colorado
We're headed your way in about 4 weeks. Anything you can share would be appreciated!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

salzburg , salzburg
you don't say if you are moving here permanantly or not but if you are you will incurr sales tax (yes even on something 30 yrs old!!) of 20% and import duties of 3% which can be quite hefty, maybe there are rules for foreigners who will return i don't know. be very careful about who loads and unloads your airstream as mine was loaded with a forklift! so that is something definately worth checking let me know where and what you are doing and i maybe of more assistance!.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Brighton , sussex
Hi, I just imported a Motorhome to the UK. You should take out marine insurance and have an independent pre-loading survey done before loading.
My motorhome was damaged in transit. If its a trailer I would probably try and arrange it with someone who does it regularly. It depends on its condition. I saw 3 at the port but they were all projects so the condition during transit was not that important.
There is no safe way to move such a big thing. In the UK there is now no VAT and reduced duty for vehichles over 30 years old. If this applies in your country a qualifying vehicle should be sort after to save alot of money. It should cost you $3500-4000 to ship.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Good information, guys. Thanks.

We're planning to ship out of Galveston, TX to Southampton using RoRo. We haven't selected our freight forwarder yet, but are leaning towards a firm in the UK since they will be more familiar with the import side of things. We're bringing our car and 19' International. We plan to stay for 6 - 18 months just touring the UK and the continent. Do VAT and duty apply for a visitor?