Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Scarborough , Western Australia
Australian Airstreamers Import and Renovation Questions

Hey shiny silver aficionados!
I'm on the hunt for a 1970's Safari to ship to Australia to renovate and live in. There are a few older Aussie posts, but nothing recent so I'm looking for anyone with recent shipping experience that can recommend any companies to me (and provide any tips)?

I also have about a million questions re renovation, but the biggest/ broadest question from those with experience (which will depend on the state of the trailer I eventually find), is what renovation would you recommend having done in the US before exporting to Aus, and what would you have done in Aus?
I'm assuming a full frame up reno (or if I'm lucky I'd be very happy to find one that has been partially done, but not interiors). I realise options for people to help with reno will be more limited in Aus, but I'm assuming at least the labour component will be a lot cheaper? (factoring in terrible exchange rate). I'm also assuming I need electrics done locally in Aus?

Lots of questions and many assumptions based on much trawling through this fab site, so any tips or guidance very welcome.
If you have any Aussie friends who have imported I'd be very grateful for their contact deets if they are willing! Cheers!
Ausventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
As an Australaian living in the US, when I was looking for an airstream to restore I called up the airstream guy (http://www.airstreamguy.com/). Apparently he has sent. a few over to Australia.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Cheers! I'll check him out
Old 01-31-2019, 01:16 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Anyone else hanging around with information to share? Particularly interested in how much reno I can do in the US and what I need to do in Aus. From what I'm reading I'll have to do all wires / electrical and brakes/ axle in Aus so I can only do frame, subfloor, floor in US? And I'll have to move the door?
Cheers
Old 02-05-2019, 02:50 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1951 18' Clipper
1965 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Ballarat, Victoria , Australia
In Victoria, 1970s ( pre-ADR, so exempt from rules ) there is no need to swap the door to our curbside. Are you sure that you need to flip it in W.A?
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote