Old 02-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Airstream wanted London

Hi,my name is Filippo i am Italian based in London. I d like to buy a airstream trailer, small size from 16 to 20 feet to restoring as a pizzeria catering van, so doesn't matter if it's not in great condition because I have to rebuild totally,

My question is where can I find a good trialled to buy and how much will be to delivery to London?

Thanks everybody

Best regard

Filippo

Old 02-12-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
We sometimes hear of trailers up for sale, but mostly Motorhomes. At this point in time there is one 310 and one argosy Motor Home, and possibly one smaller Airstream MH. There is an unused Tradewind trailer but as the client paid top dollar for it, may want too much money.
Keep in touch

Kindest regards,
H. K. "Chuck" Berry
CLASSIC RV PREPARATIONS
HKB Associates, Airstream RV
Iwerne Minster,
Dorset. DT11 8QN
Tel: (+44) (0)1747 811625

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Have you seen these guys?
Airstreams For Sale - Vintage Airstreams - Airstream Caravans to Rent and For Sale

They claim to own one of Wally's original caravans.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Another classic trailer to become a "Hash Slinger", how nice.

May I suggest instead buying one from a company based in the UK that makes new trailers that look like Airstreams to your specs.

Enjoy,
Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Another classic trailer to become a "Hash Slinger", how nice.

May I suggest instead buying one from a company based in the UK that makes new trailers that look like Airstreams to your specs.

Enjoy,
Hey Paul, tell us how you really feel
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Yes Andreas I saw it.
Is it a fake?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
On adventure with H&G

2012 30' Flying Cloud
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1966 28' Ambassador
Lansing , Kansas
Filippo, To take a slightly different tact on it, I would suggest buying from one of the companies in the UK the builds the retro style aluminium caravans custom , and get them to build one for your needs. The disadvantage with buying an Airstream specifically, especially in the UK is that they are more of a rarity, and thus will fetch premium prices. Then you must consider that the Airstream, while a premium caravan design, is very poorly designed to be a food trailer, and the will require extensive and expensive modification of the frame and shell before you even get to you kitchen equipment.

On the other hand you could order one purpose built as a food trailer that is likely to be easier, cheaper, better suited, and longer lasting in the configuration you desire, and likely, look more professional in the end.

As a metaphor, if one wanted a fast Lamborghini car and was fixed on the name, this person could conceivably buy an old Lamborghini tractor from the 1960s and significantly modify it to look like one of their modern super cars. Yes, it would be a Lambo, but probably not the Aventador they wanted.

You might expect a reaction on this forum a little hostile to using an Airstream for anything but camping. Most folks hear are very excited about the prospect of camping in their Airstream or fixing it to do so, and not strictly pleased to see them taken for what they see as a lesser purpose.

Regards.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

My next BBQ Grill

Colin,

I think my next project will be a mobile BBQ Grill "Hash Slinger". The thought is to take a Classic 1950's, 1960's Ferrari or Jaguar cut it up, add some burners, smokers, etc... and a hitch then drag it around to Airstream Rallys.

Here's a picture of the prototype, it seams to work well, but I think I can sell more by using a more classic car from Europe.

So I guess you know how I feel aboutb the subject

Enjoy,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jaguar-bbq-grill.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	205439  
Old 02-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
On adventure with H&G

2012 30' Flying Cloud
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1966 28' Ambassador
Lansing , Kansas
You might consider this manufacturer:Retro Rocket Caravans
Old 02-13-2014, 02:32 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Hi Matt appreciate, thanks!
I don't know why all this stupid reply.
It wasn't my intention to be rude against the community of the airstream lovers.
They took my question too seriously I think. C'mon guys take it easy!
I will find a f*****g airstream in some other ways. Lol
Old 02-13-2014, 05:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Just google "Airstream for sale UK" . There are a bunch of people who do the legwork for you, buying and importing them.

An Airstream is a tool, not a holy relic, so don't listen to people telling you that you can't adapt it to your needs.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Filippo, There are number of people who want an Airstream to camp in. The smaller trailers are very desired. When we see someone wanting to chop it up to sell pizza out of, it is a real kick to the gut. Why not use something else? Why not an Italian trailer? Your selling Italian food, chop up an Italian trailer. Oh, I just thought that one over, there are no Italian trailers with the eye appeal…
I bet if you said you were looking for an Airstream to take your kids to the mountains in, the response would have been totally different. I bet people around here would be bending over backwards to help you.
You were given a good link to a guy who has no shame about chopping up rare trailers to be used for vending. Maybe you can get a Bubble or a Wee Wind from him. Some of us do look at them as holy relics. Most who do, do not own 1980's trailers. Why not use one of those? A nice 1984 would be perfect!
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Filippo,

Not trying to be rude, right from the start I suggested the company in the UK that makes "new" trailers that would better fit your needs and still give you the classic look you are trying to get (thanks Mattb for the link) and in an effort to give you some insight as to how some may feel about someone from the other side of the pond coming over here buying a classic trailer only to chop it up to "Sling Hash" out of, I gave you an example of the samething just reversed.

It appears it must have struck a nerve which it was intended to do. I would expect to get the same response if I had gone onto a Ferrari website looking for a car to chop up and convert to a mobile BBQ Grill.

If in the end you end up buying from the folks at "Retro Rocket Caravans" you and I will both be happy campers.

Enjoy,
Old 02-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Filippo, There are number of people who want an Airstream to camp in. The smaller trailers are very desired. When we see someone wanting to chop it up to sell pizza out of, it is a real kick to the gut. Why not use something else? Why not an Italian trailer? Your selling Italian food, chop up an Italian trailer. Oh, I just thought that one over, there are no Italian trailers with the eye appeal…
I bet if you said you were looking for an Airstream to take your kids to the mountains in, the response would have been totally different. I bet people around here would be bending over backwards to help you.
You were given a good link to a guy who has no shame about chopping up rare trailers to be used for vending. Maybe you can get a Bubble or a Wee Wind from him. Some of us do look at them as holy relics. Most who do, do not own 1980's trailers. Why not use one of those? A nice 1984 would be perfect!
Nah, I think Paul has the right idea, chop up a desirable Italian Sports car & do the same thing, & see the reaction he gets from car buffs over there.

Colin

I just checked out that link. This is scary how many of these jewels have tuned into vending carts. So sad!

Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote