Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #21
Certifiable

. , .
Thick or thin crust?

The "Hash Slinging Slasher" used a small, painted (or was it bloody?) moho. Probably from the 70s. If it were me, I'd go with a 345 Classic. Yes, they're bigger, but the combination of a GMC 454 cubic inch 7.4 Liter Gasoline Engine on a P-30 Chevrolet Chassis is still quite prevalent.

(gotta love snow days .…)
Old 02-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Andy,

You are correct, I should not have used the term "Hash Slinger" and for that, I am sorry. The correct term I should have used is "Roach Coach". But, since I'm sure his pizza is really good, I was just trying to move him up a notch.

Enjoy,

Enjoy,
Old 02-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #23
RJ Dominic, 1975 Soverign

1985 34' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Potsdam , New York
Send a message via AIM to Flat Creek
Thumbs up

Hi Filippo,

I recently shipped a vintage Spartan trailer (simular to an Airstream) over to Liverpool. (in December) I will be happy to go over shipping and costs with you... Including pointers of what to expect when dealing with the whole shipping know hows.

Please privite message me or email me.

Best,

RJ Dominic

"it's all good"

www.vintagetrailersolutions.com
flatcreek.enterprises@gmail.com
vintagetransportsolutions.com
(914) 204-6190
Flat Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:22 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Thanks to all guys who are giving me they're support, and about "hash slinger" I don't even know what does it means and honestly I don't really care. I am here just because I want to start as soon as I can my business. That's it.
I found this chap
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1392369664.495354.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	573.6 KB
ID:	205569Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1392369688.107541.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	707.2 KB
ID:	205570
in Uk for £8K what do you guys think?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1392369631.533680.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	599.0 KB
ID:	205568
filippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:19 AM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by filippo View Post
I found this chap
Attachment 205569Attachment 205570
in Uk for £8K what do you guys think?Attachment 205568
You asked what I think so I will tell you… I am some what relieved to not see another trailer put on a boat to be turned into wiener van. I know you are doing pizza, but I call them all wiener vans. I am glad the trailer is already there. Seeing it is a Caravel tears me up however. I have had many Caravels through my shop and have a fondness for them. I am actually in the process of restoring a 1968 Caravel currently and have a 1970 waiting in line. The Caravel is in my opinion the most efficient layout Airstream ever put out. Very little of this matters however. My opinion matters very little also. I can only hope my prayers matter.
I know when I come to London, I will avoid any Airstreams selling anything. I will also avoid threads like this in the future.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Spearheading British manufacturing! We're great believers in British manufacturing, and source as many of our components from within Britain and the EU as possible - up to 95%. Apart from the jobs we create for our own workforce, this policy also helps to safeguard jobs in many supplying companies. Our 2014 model lineup will be announced soon, and contains some exciting surprises! Meanwhile, take a look at our ‘Atlantic’ range, for a slice of Fifties’ nostalgia. Available in 16, 18, 20 and 23-foot overall lengths, from as little as £15,995, we supply Atlantic models built to order, as either touring caravans or catering/promotional trailers. Please call us and we’ll be happy to tell you all about how to order your very own Rocket!

This is one they did for a pizza "Hash Coach" (we will combine the two)

I wish you luck and prayers in your life, just hate to see old american trailers turned into these things.

Enjoy
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
Colin, will you be adding a line of sectional rib kits too? Maybe something that can be assembled from 4' sections with splice plates. You could stuff them in a tube and almost mail out trailer kits. The pizza and cup cake crews could make their own "ends" and complete them with the mid sections that they customize anyway.
Yeah, "C" channels, then hopefully windows.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

I see what you mean Rideair, and I would feel the same, maybe angrier if I would have the same feeling as you all guys have for this caravan.
In Europe, in Italy and even in London airstream it's not very popular as caravan or as catering unit mobile, and one week ago I never ever heard about this amazing van, I see that in USA there are lots van that's to me seems abandoned somewhere. That's what I am looking for, give a chance to this great lost van to have a new life.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #29
Rivet Master

filippo,

If you ask any of the Airstream restore guys they will tell you the 1950's era trailers in any lengh are getting harder and harder to find in any shape, the shorter 1960's trailers are about the same and even the 1960's longer ones are getting that way too. To find even a 1970's era trailer in the shorter models 23 footers or less are hard to find. What you can find all day long is the 27' and longer 1970's, 1980's models in good/bad/fair shape for a decent price. So when we hear about one more of the older more rare trailers being chopped up to sell food out of, it strikes a cord for many including myself when you can buy a brand new trailer built to your needs that has the same look and feel.

What I find funny/sad about the whole thing is when an American buys a classic (fill in the blank) from Europe, we tend to restore back to original or maybe improve the thing but still use it for what it was made for in the first place, thus the reason for my BBQ example to strike a cord. So many of us don't understand why the classic things from the USA are not treated the same when taken across the pond.

As Frank said, if you were looking for one to restore and take your family camping, you'd have 15 peope trying to help you out, but buying one to chop one up to make into a mobile kitchen selling food, cutting open the sides, etc... just upsets many of us.

The trailer you're looking at has a 4 inch frame which "is not" going to take the weight of a bunch of cookers, refrigerators, etc... the frame less windows will break if strong winds come along and will not hold up for the long run. It will look good at first, but over time the frame will fall due to the weight and you're going to have to spend big bucks on a rebuild. My suggestion again, buy a trailer from that company that designs them for the weight and usage from the ground up. In the long run you will be far more happy and your biz will last long after this fad has gone away.

Enjoy,
Old 02-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Fillipo,
have a look on e-bay in UK there is a couple of Airstreams already set up for catering use,
I, like many of our Airstream loving cousins in the US dislike seeing good trailers being butchered for commercial use, However there are many trailers in the US that have already been converted to "roach coaches" and dodgy looking toy haulers,
If a trailer has lots of hail damage or has had tree wounds, surely it is better to see it being put to good use rather than be crushed !
So give him a break guys..... and Filippo, you will not find a better bunch of people than these on Airforum, dont go pissing them off though, as you wont get any help or advice that way, Airstream are a national treasure and a design icon, think of them like classic Ferrari's.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #31
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by filippo View Post
In Europe, in Italy and even in London airstream it's not very popular as caravan or as catering unit mobile, and one week ago I never ever heard about this amazing van, I see that in USA there are lots van that's to me seems abandoned somewhere. That's what I am looking for, give a chance to this great lost van to have a new life.
You must be out of the loop. The European demand has been sever for a number of years now. UK is the hungriest…
I intentionally drove by the Port of Baltimore yesterday. There were 13 of them waiting for their boat ride. There was a very nice 345 Motorhome. There was a Bubble, Three mid 50's Safari, 2 Caravels(I think a 66 and a 69), and a bunch of 70's units. None of the trailers were over 24 foot long. There were numerous classic cars also. The area where these are staged is served by Ceres. I cannot see the area serviced Mid Atlantic or the three other companies shipping roll on roll off. The new Airstreams manufactured for Europe go through that area. The last time through the Port there were a number over there. Along with many classic cars. Did you know Cadillacs are very popular in Sweden? Any big, gas burner is popular there.
Germany loves them too. Look over that website. Some nice inventory if you ask me. Not one photo of one used as a travel trailer however. This German company is also into converting old busses. Five years ago I rescued a 1966 Overlander. It was 100% complete and I wanted to see it get back on the road. I offered it for sale on this forum. The very first day I was contacted by a guy who wanted it and was willing to pay extra for me to take down to the Port for him. He told me how he was going to restore it to take his kids camping. That 66 shows very prominently on that site. It has the entire side cut out of it. I only wonder what happened to the complete interior. I know you found this site. He has some awesome inventory also. Even in the Netherlands, wiener vans are popular. That guy uses mostly 70's trailers. I wonder if it is due to the 60's and 50's trailers being so hard to find these day.
There are vintage Airstream parks in Europe too. Have you visited? It is an easy run through the Chunnel.
They sell brand new ones in the UK. They sell brand new ones in Germany too. "
We are looking for new dealers in France, Scandinavia, Benelux and Switzerland ! Interested ?"

I could go on and on. Airstreams are hot globally.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Frank,

I'm I understanding correctly, you said the guy who wanted the 1966 Overlander for camping took the trailer and cut it up into a "Chuck Wagon"??

Enjoy,
Old 02-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #33
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Buon giorno Filippo,

Frank is right - you were just personally not aware of how popular Airstreams are in Europe already, so you personally did not see many. Now that you are educated, however, you will be surprised at how often you do see them! Airstream is building a whole part of their plant JUST for exports! It has also added dealers in China, Korea and Australia...

Some of us would just make an appeal to you to preserve what is an old (to us) and beautiful (to many) caravan in its original form, and consider a different, more common (and cheaper!) trailer to modify. It really would be a shame to see a beautiful girl like that turned into a food 'hostess'.

Ciao -

Kathy
Old 02-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Thanks guys for your help! I already had some contact with a company in Europe, I don't want to say what's the name is,I just want to let you know that for an airstream restored as pizza van (I know some of you guys are crying while reading this ) they asked me100K euro. 100 k euro??? Crazy!!! Trust me!!!Why should a buy a caravan in Europe and pay it for a double price if I can have chance to buy one in Usa and save some money?
If you are looking for a Ferrari to buy, would you consider to buy in Italy or not??
Make sense??
Old 02-16-2014, 03:07 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Filipino,
What part of "we don't appreciate good Airstreams being cut up" do you not understand ?
When you show me pictures of a vintage Ferrari being used as a tow truck, you might change my mind.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:10 AM   #36
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Frank,

I'm I understanding correctly, you said the guy who wanted the 1966 Overlander for camping took the trailer and cut it up into a "Chuck Wagon"??

Enjoy,
It is rare you find one with an untouched interior. There is always something missing or altered. Not this one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream-catering-us-wohnwagen-aluwohnwagen-blechwohnwagen-foto-event-messe-eventmobil-koeln12.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	205690