Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2003, 02:44 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
Airstream arived

I feel like a 9 year old boy again
I picked my first airstream up from the harbour today
only minmal transport damage some new scratches and on hubcab is now on someone's wall
beter pics later
Remco The Netherlands
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	afbeelding(10).jpg
Views:	726
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	4090  
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Smile

Wonderful! Good for you! Holland is such a beautiful country and to be able to explore it in an Airstream is just icing on the cake.
myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 05:11 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: airstream arived

Quote:
Originally posted by remcolent
I feel like a 9 year old boy again
I picked my first airstream up from the harbour today
only minmal transport damage some new scratches and on hubcab is now on someone's wall
beter pics later
Remco The Netherlands
The scratches add character, you will be able to look at them years from now and be able to tell the ones that it got on the way to you. Hubcaps are fairly easy to come by here in the states, and if that is the only thing missing, you did well. It may be rolling around in the bilges of the ship it was on, not that you could ever find it, or would even want it, after it wound up there.
Anyway, nice coach, please post more pictures!
Terry
Old 12-12-2003, 05:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Fort Collins , Colorado
Looks like the trailer came thru just great!

BTW, was shipping a big expense?Have thought of shipping a smaller Airstream to Europe, touring in it and selling at the end of the trip.
kenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:06 AM   #5
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Remco,

Congratulations, it looks great!
Did you see it first or did you buy over the phone?
More pics please...
Let us know how NL registration goes.

Enjoy!

Hart

ps: I couldn't find the wheel bearing references...I'm sure someone here can help out
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 01:03 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
I bought the trailor from an ad on airstream net
seller send a lot of pics and we spend a few hours on the phone
about all the details
seller gave me a verry good and real discription of the trailor
about shipping to europe and later selling I don't know if that will
work
shipping is about 1600 usd including handeling cost
but a trailor must be licenced overhere maby when you come from the us and just use it for vacation there is no need for that but no cars over here with the US hitch setup
a moterhome will be more easy
importing a trailor will cost 22,5 % import tax over the value of the trailor and the transport cost

If you want to do this I think you must have sold the trailor before you ship it
so use it for your vacation first and than sell

Remco
Old 12-13-2003, 04:39 AM   #7
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Congratulations !!!!!

Hi, Remco;

Congratulations for your import in Europe;
there was exactly one year ago, it was me on the harbor, not in netherlands but in Belgium, at Zeebrugge.

As you, I was very happy of this new toy, arriving after a lot of small problems to resolve in America ( towing, insurrance, hitch ball..... ). For the anecdot, old members know it, the ship who has taken the A/S from US to Belgium, sunk few days later, in front of my city, Dunkerque, FRANCE... it was the " TRICOLOR ".

May be we 'll meet you on the road...

Here is nearly the same picture as yours, going away the harbor.

bye;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bye bye belgium.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	4096  
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:56 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Hi Remco,

that looks like a fine Airstream!

I am impressed with the shipping costs you quoted. I am looking to bring a 31ft Airstream to Germany to keep (not to sell) and the quotes are running to $4000 from the US East Coast. Maybe I should bring it in through Holland? Can you pass on any tips on this?

Best regards,

tony
anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Remco -

Really is nice to hear about your Airstream and to see the picture as well.
My son is right now shipping a truck load of gym lockers from Pennsylvania to Indiana, a distance of only 700 miles, and it is costing him $1600, so you must have received a good shipping price.

To Bruno of France - I know the port Zeebrugge very well also. This is where my former company's plant (located in Zedelgem - not far from you) has shipped many combines from to places around the world. - However, your Airstream looks much better there I think!!

John
Old 02-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Hi Remco,

thanks for all the advice, and huge thanks to airstreamforums.com for the chat room! I will keep you posted,

tony
Old 02-11-2004, 07:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Hey guys
If the Cubans can drive a Chevy and a buick across the ocean maybe it's time for someone to figure out how to drive an Airstream across the ocean. Ya know it would most likely be much more comfy in as Airstream. Congrats on your beauty. Have fun!
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:14 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Arrow Live near the Departing point!

To all and perspective European brethen, if you need any help shipping oversees, let me know. I can be of help out on this end, as I am 30min away from both the Long Beach and Los Angeles ports. I have helped a couple of fellows ship vehicles including airstreams to Japan, and the quote the shipping company gave me as of $100 per foot. I am not familiar what other taxes need to be paid on the other end, as I only helped towing to the ports and nothing more. I also remember that whatever was being shipped had to have a clear title. Let me know if you need me at all.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:27 AM   #13
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Again about the price ;;;

Again , about the price, $1600 is really a good price for the shipping cost " pier to pier" as they say.
About me, from Jacksonville, Fla, to Zeebrugge , I've paid about $3700 with the famous insurrance, in case of the ship 'ld sink...
Tell us with which shipping agent or company, you've made the business, for all the future European A/S owners.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:54 AM   #14

Hello Remco I am thinking about bringing a airstream back to the uk once again it does seem that you got a very good price for shipping please can you let us know what company you dealt with and any other help you think I may need. thanks frazer.
Quote:
Originally posted by remcolent
I bought the trailor from an ad on airstream net
seller send a lot of pics and we spend a few hours on the phone
about all the details
seller gave me a verry good and real discription of the trailor
about shipping to europe and later selling I don't know if that will
work
shipping is about 1600 usd including handeling cost
but a trailor must be licenced overhere maby when you come from the us and just use it for vacation there is no need for that but no cars over here with the US hitch setup
a moterhome will be more easy
importing a trailor will cost 22,5 % import tax over the value of the trailor and the transport cost

If you want to do this I think you must have sold the trailor before you ship it
so use it for your vacation first and than sell

Remco
frazercun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:23 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Hi Remco,

I wanted to get you the address of the trailer workshop in Horst near Venlo who do the axle conversions etc. for TUEV approval.
I have to give you the German contact who showed me around. He is running a party service buisness "Cocktails on Tour" with Airstreams converted to cocktail bars:
Dirk Stratmanns:
info@music-truck.de
[URL=http://www.music-truck.de]
The conversion work is top rate and they are willing to take on work for others. They are not cheap but the quality of the work I saw was excellent.

Best regards, Tony
Old 02-20-2004, 02:42 PM   #16
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Hi Anton,

What do they charge for a dual axle change to TUV specs?

Thanks

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:53 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Hi Hart,

they were talking around EUR 5K including the lights and TUEV, the whole thing, if I remember correctly. I have been quoted less.

What I still don't understand is if they only accept surge brakes in Europe why do you have to change the whole axle? Can't you just change the hub plate and brake assemblies?

Another issue is that I have read that sway controls cannot be used with surge brakes (from the Draw-Tite Dual Cam Sway Control web site). Do you have any experience on that?

Best, Tony
Old 02-21-2004, 01:20 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
as far as I know alectric brakes are alowed overhere
there is a compagny www.boopark.nl that is importing those
axles to the netherlands
anyway I have to go to the dutch RDW this is like the German TUV
on tuesday
will see wat they say about the brakes

Remco
Old 02-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Hi Remco,

I messaged you a few days ago about shipping a tow vehicle and small Airstream to Europe, maybe to the Netherlands if rules are better there. I'm really anxious about what we would have to do to both TV and trailer to be "street legal" in Europe. Would we have to change the hitch?? Brakes?? I heard even the lights/electrical system must be changed; is this true? If we have to rebuild both units to be legal there, it's just too exensive. Our units would be a 1982 Toyota Land Cruiser diesel Troop Carrier (i.e., long body) and either a '55 or '62 Flying Cloud (22 feet).

And we would ship both back to USA, so would we still need to pay taxes in Europe?

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote