Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
A mobile holiday home in Ireland?

So... I have a dream...or maybe a calling...whatever..it doesn't matter... the result is the same: the need to figure out a family-friendly cost effective way to explore Ireland.
The secario: small young(ish) family (2 adults, 1 child), a long-time dream of exploring Ireland, own a 1965 Overlander in need of total reno...also own a 1975 20' Argosy Moho in need of reno, have already renovated one vintage trailer (Spartan--now an office work space)--so can handle process, would like a solution that would allow multiple trips and exploration for many years to come.
The idea: reno Overlander (or Argosy) here, ship it to Ireland, use when there at different campgrounds, place in secure long-term indoor storage when not in use. OR ship there, reno there to EU standards, and use then store there. OR buy vintage AS there, have reno there, and therefore no shipping costs or risks.
PHEW!!!
Many options...not sure which is the best way to go.
I'm also concerned about the issue of towing over there. Is it possible to rent an SUV or van to tow a trailer (or caravan) in Ireland? May be the moho is a better way to go...but then you've got an engine sitting for extended periods of time without use --and the associated problems with that.
Any thoughts would be appraciated. This has got to be possible--just not sure how to approach it.
Kathleen
kdenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm, we have been to Ireland 3 times. Ancestral home for both of us. Love, love, love Ireland. Were there most recently in 2009, I believe, when the Euro was so low.

We have always rented a car. I would contact the major car rental agencies who have kiosks at the Dublin airport and have them do a search for you for the type of vehicle you need. Enterprise, Hertz, etc.

There are trailers (caravans) and campgrounds over there, there must be a way to pull them. We saw a number of Sprinter vans over there, such as our Interstate is on.

If you have never been to Ireland, be aware that the roads are more narrow and curvy than you can imagine, other than the few major "highways", such as between Dublin and Galway. You would be rather limited, I think, in where you could safely tow.

We met a couple from England a couple of years ago, who had bought an RV on the east coast, spent 8 weeks or so traveling the US and were shipping it back out of Brunswick, GA, I believe. Cost was by the foot, I believe, and pricey. They owned a campground in England somewhere.

Sounds like your first issue is where to buy and renovate, which I can't speak to. I do like the idea of buying something over there. Might be a campground owner in Ireland who could give you some tips.

Might want to take an off-season trip, which wouldn't be horribly expensive, and go look around a bit. We always did B&B's, other than for Dublin. They are nice, clean, and reasonably priced.

Do envy you this trip, something we would love to do.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Maggie
Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Maggie makes a valid point; Ireland's roads are ill suited to any caravans (trailers) or motorhomes, let alone an Airstream; they're very narrow for the most part and can be twisty. It it were me I'd be looking at renting holiday cottages and using a hire car, or even one you'd bought there for the short term, because the cost of the Airstream plan would pay for quite a few years holiday lettings.

On the other hand, if you use Ireland as base to explore the UK and Europe, then the cost of getting your Airstream set up and shipped over would probably be worthwhile. Just a thought.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
MrUKToad,
Using the AS as a base to explore Ireland and the rest of Europe is exactly the plan. My son is young and exposing him to Ireland and Europe as he grows up is something that I think would be wonderful. That's why I would really like to work out a long-term arrangement--plus, I have the two AS's sitting here just waiting for something like this. I don't really plan on moving the trailer/moho much...just to the selected campground for the visit. Then tool around in a more suitable vehicle. It may be challenging, but it just seems like, with the right plan, it could be.
Kathleen
Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdenault View Post
MrUKToad,
Using the AS as a base to explore Ireland and the rest of Europe is exactly the plan. My son is young and exposing him to Ireland and Europe as he grows up is something that I think would be wonderful. That's why I would really like to work out a long-term arrangement--plus, I have the two AS's sitting here just waiting for something like this. I don't really plan on moving the trailer/moho much...just to the selected campground for the visit. Then tool around in a more suitable vehicle. It may be challenging, but it just seems like, with the right plan, it could be.
Kathleen
Well, ya' know, if you really, really want this, work diligently toward it and, if it is meant to be, it will happen.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
That would be awesome! I am planning our 30th anniversary trip to Ireland right now for next July. We will B&B it with a rental car, but it would be really cool to Caravan it in an AS! (BTW, my ancestral home is Mountmellick. As far as I know, no one has been back since Nicholas Newlin left in 1680 to join a friend of his, William Penn in a place soon to be known as Pennsylvania. They were Quakers, of course.)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
I've lived in Ireland--if you want to do it badly enough, it can be done, for sure! But people are right, most of the roads in Eire really really aren't suited for RVs, at least the majority of them as opposed to the newish highways. Especially US spec RVs, they're much too wide for most of the roads; heck, half the time, they're not wide enough for two cars to pass. (My UK partner's sister's first night living in Ireland--they grew up going there every year to help family on the family farm--someone knocked the driver's side mirror off her car while going the other way!) I think a Sprinter-like van would be a better bet, myself, but that could be a bit of a chore too. (I'm trying to imagine going up the Conor Pass road near Dingle, Co. Kerry in a Sprinter and failing utterly--a lorry driver who had never been went up that road, wedged his truck into the rock wall, and closed that way into Dingle for about a week and a half! Luckily, the road the other way is just fine for it, and after all, Bus Eireann gets through, so you should be able to as well, though the Bus Eireann drivers are well hard!)

It sounds like you've never been to Eire before? If it were me or someone in my family, I would seriously consider a short trip there before making plans that would be expensive to cancel; drive the roads, take a look at the campgrounds before having to stay in them, that sort of thing.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Also, remember you'd have to probably freight all reno items INTO Ireland. That could get...pricey. To say the least.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
And all that said, here's the Camping Ireland website if you haven't found it already!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
It sounds like you've never been to Eire before? If it were me or someone in my family, I would seriously consider a short trip there before making plans that would be expensive to cancel; drive the roads, take a look at the campgrounds before having to stay in them, that sort of thing.

Yes. Really do consider this.

Rent a tiny car and poke around. You could take a look in a week, a pretty good look in two.

Find campgrounds and figure out how you could get there. Once you are off the major highways, it is very slow going, and not unusual to find sheep in the roadway. It's not like the U.S., which is part of the country's charm.

We never saw RV's of any kind on the road, as I recall. I suspect folks tow to their vacation spot/caravan campground and leave it there.

Maggie
Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
If you intend to tour UK and Mainland Europe you might be better thinking of using the UK as a base. There would more back up for your projects as most items can be sourced here.
For touring in Eire we use the B&B network. Much easier exploring by car and you do meet more locals that way.
Yes the main routes are good but they are far and few between. The remaining roads would shake out the best teeth fillings! And really not suitable for the full size and width RV.
Our family come from Ireland and we go over several times a year, and yes, you do see trailers and small campers but not that many, although there are more now than 45 years ago....
Finding somewhere secure and with reasonable access would be better in the UK. Ferries are expensive for the distances involved, and if you do decide to go mainland then there are two ferry trips or one very long (and generally very rough) ferry. It is always said..."If you can sail the Irish sea you can sail anywhere!"
Need any help here, contact me.

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie
Rent a tiny car and poke around. You could take a look in a week, a pretty good look in two.

Find campgrounds and figure out how you could get there. Once you are off the major highways, it is very slow going, and not unusual to find sheep in the roadway. It's not like the U.S., which is part of the country's charm.
if you flew into Shannon or Kerry, you'd likely get a look at the kind of roads we mean very very quickly, in three or four days--from Shannon drive to Kilfenora, drive through the Burren, then if you have more time, down past the Cliffs of Moher, through Lahinch, and take the ferry to Kerry, drive to Dingle, than circle back by the land road. Then be aware that those ARE the major national roads.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
if you flew into Shannon or Kerry, you'd likely get a look at the kind of roads we mean very very quickly, in three or four days--from Shannon drive to Kilfenora, drive through the Burren, then if you have more time, down past the Cliffs of Moher, through Lahinch, and take the ferry to Kerry, drive to Dingle, than circle back by the land road. Then be aware that those ARE the major national roads.

And all of these areas are splendiferous, beautious, grandilicious Irish lands. The seas are greens and blues in colors you cannot imagine.

Take a pause and a ferry to the Aran Islands for the day if you get a chance. Rent a van there with a Gaelic-speaking driver who will trot you around for a good and very fun look-see.

Makes me want to go back---again.

Maggie
Old 02-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
And all of these areas are splendiferous, beautious, grandilicious Irish lands. The seas are greens and blues in colors you cannot imagine.

Take a pause and a ferry to the Aran Islands for the day if you get a chance. Rent a van there with a Gaelic-speaking driver who will trot you around for a good and very fun look-see.

Makes me want to go back---again.

Maggie
When we were younger we did the van camping, with the new gear, I would almost consider it now. Air mattresses, van, small tent would get most of what you are think of doing without the grand expense of shipping, after a couple of trips you would know if the original idea was sound, also you would know exactly where to ship and where it will be stored, and how the vat tax they have, would change prices.
Definitely would chose trailer over MH, from experience of trying to keep a motorhome for occasional trips, I sometimes feel I spend more time maintaining than camping. Ireland is green for a reason, rainy season and if close to a coast watch out for salt air. Might be good to inspect a few in campgrounds and see how they are holding up.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
The one problem I see with a tent vs. renting a caravan or sleeper van or some such is that Ireland is famous for rainy weather, all four seasons out of the year. If you don't mind being in a wet tent to sleep and all that, no troubles.

I totally agree with the folks who say to base an AS in the UK, for a lot of reasons, especially if your camping spot is nearish one of the regional airports like Stansted, with quick, easy, and inexpensive flights to elsewhere.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Wow...everyones' responses have certainly been helpful and have given me plenty to think about. This is certainly a long-term project. There's obviously a tremendous amount of planning involved in order to pull this off. And yes trips over there would certainly be in order before any real planning can occur. I've had so many thoughts and ideas about this over the years that, right now, I'm trying to determine the most do-able approach. Using the AS as a base is really more of what I was thinking. From what I can tell given the info that I've been able to find...I think towing (anything) in Ireland may be a challenge--the roads AND the regulations. Given this, another idea I had is to purchase a small plot of land and site the AS there permanently--as they do with mobile homes. Or, purchase a small plot and put up a pole barn or something to house (and secure) the AS when not in use--when there, use it stationary on the land--and travel by car from there. I am aware that one must get "planning permission" in Ireland to "develop" land in any way. I've had some challenges trying to find out more specific info.

I know this may seem like a lot. But, if you don't dream, you'll never achieve it. My family loves the idea of having something permanent (a second home) in Ireland. There are also some possible adjunct/consultative professional opportunities for me there that can be pursued. This certainly is not the main reason but something that can be explored once we get set up.

Kathleen
Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdenault View Post
I know this may seem like a lot. But, if you don't dream, you'll never achieve it. My family loves the idea of having something permanent (a second home) in Ireland. Kathleen
Absolutely. For most of us, traveling at all started as a dream.

If you move forward planfully and carefully, the right path will show itself.

Good luck.

Maggie
Old 02-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
My family loves the idea of having something permanent (a second home) in Ireland.
Urm, then why not just buy a house? There's lots of them available at the moment for very good prices and prices have been dropping. We've been keeping an eye on property values for no little time just for that reason.

But I'd definitely go on at least four or five recon trips before doing that and get to know the Irish culture and social morés as much as you can before deciding on living there for any amount of time.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
P.S. I think one thing you need to think about very very VERY carefully is the propensity for Airstreams, especially vintage ones, to leak, paired with the Irish likelihood for rain.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Calgary , Alberta
Overall, the roads in Europe are not suited to an American trailer. Yes, there are plenty of good highways, but the nice country roads, the campground accesses... Oops!
Very few campgrounds would have full hook-ups either.
Camping with a trailer is very popular in Europe, you see lots of trailers on the roads in the summertime, but they are European trailers... Do you know for instance that some countries have a maximum width for road vehicles that could be an issue (Switzerland)?
It would be very difficult to rent a vehicle able to pull an Airstream, except a commercial van...
Ireland is not really a good base to tour Europe, too far west: it is a 2-day crossing to reach France, for instance; it would be much better to be based more centrally.
Yes, an Airstream in Europe would be way cool, but there is major hassle, so...
The trailer would also need to be registered somewhere there, is it possible?
A better way (OK, less cool!) would be to buy a trailer/car combo in Europe, something adapted to the countries, the roads...
Hope this helps, I have lived and camped on both sides of the ocean, and it is really is not the same hobby on each side!
wave1957 is offline   Reply With Quote