Old 02-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
The one problem I see with a tent vs. renting a caravan or sleeper van or some such is that Ireland is famous for rainy weather, all four seasons out of the year. If you don't mind being in a wet tent to sleep and all that, no troubles.

I totally agree with the folks who say to base an AS in the UK, for a lot of reasons, especially if your camping spot is nearish one of the regional airports like Stansted, with quick, easy, and inexpensive flights to elsewhere.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1990 34' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Wow...everyones' responses have certainly been helpful and have given me plenty to think about. This is certainly a long-term project. There's obviously a tremendous amount of planning involved in order to pull this off. And yes trips over there would certainly be in order before any real planning can occur. I've had so many thoughts and ideas about this over the years that, right now, I'm trying to determine the most do-able approach. Using the AS as a base is really more of what I was thinking. From what I can tell given the info that I've been able to find...I think towing (anything) in Ireland may be a challenge--the roads AND the regulations. Given this, another idea I had is to purchase a small plot of land and site the AS there permanently--as they do with mobile homes. Or, purchase a small plot and put up a pole barn or something to house (and secure) the AS when not in use--when there, use it stationary on the land--and travel by car from there. I am aware that one must get "planning permission" in Ireland to "develop" land in any way. I've had some challenges trying to find out more specific info.

I know this may seem like a lot. But, if you don't dream, you'll never achieve it. My family loves the idea of having something permanent (a second home) in Ireland. There are also some possible adjunct/consultative professional opportunities for me there that can be pursued. This certainly is not the main reason but something that can be explored once we get set up.

Kathleen

Old 02-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdenault View Post
I know this may seem like a lot. But, if you don't dream, you'll never achieve it. My family loves the idea of having something permanent (a second home) in Ireland. Kathleen
Absolutely. For most of us, traveling at all started as a dream.

If you move forward planfully and carefully, the right path will show itself.

Good luck.

Maggie
Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
My family loves the idea of having something permanent (a second home) in Ireland.
Urm, then why not just buy a house? There's lots of them available at the moment for very good prices and prices have been dropping. We've been keeping an eye on property values for no little time just for that reason.

But I'd definitely go on at least four or five recon trips before doing that and get to know the Irish culture and social morés as much as you can before deciding on living there for any amount of time.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
P.S. I think one thing you need to think about very very VERY carefully is the propensity for Airstreams, especially vintage ones, to leak, paired with the Irish likelihood for rain.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Calgary , Alberta
Overall, the roads in Europe are not suited to an American trailer. Yes, there are plenty of good highways, but the nice country roads, the campground accesses... Oops!
Very few campgrounds would have full hook-ups either.
Camping with a trailer is very popular in Europe, you see lots of trailers on the roads in the summertime, but they are European trailers... Do you know for instance that some countries have a maximum width for road vehicles that could be an issue (Switzerland)?
It would be very difficult to rent a vehicle able to pull an Airstream, except a commercial van...
Ireland is not really a good base to tour Europe, too far west: it is a 2-day crossing to reach France, for instance; it would be much better to be based more centrally.
Yes, an Airstream in Europe would be way cool, but there is major hassle, so...
The trailer would also need to be registered somewhere there, is it possible?
A better way (OK, less cool!) would be to buy a trailer/car combo in Europe, something adapted to the countries, the roads...
Hope this helps, I have lived and camped on both sides of the ocean, and it is really is not the same hobby on each side!