Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
UK Help

There's a guy over on the Airstreamer Forum asking asking about using a US-spec Airstream on 240 volts. Since perhaps not everyone here reads that forum, I thought I'd ask if anyone here who can help would pop over there and give him a hand?
Old 03-02-2004, 03:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

...stepping it down would be lossy, if you use a big ol' transformer...plus it gets hot and you probably should ground it good and such... need to put it into a box.

I got contacts at WSU -- I'll see if I can find out anything.
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Maurice,

Check this beast out...

http://www.theelectroniccompany.com/detail.aspx?ID=35

It would probably work, but is brute-force...

Can you imagine this beast attached to Mr. Buzzy, an old univolt?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Tranformers do not provide any isolation or noise immunity, but then again these are campgrounds -- they are probably as bad electrically as they are here...and univolts seem to be tough...

Tell me what you think before I go over and try to help...

Rob
Old 03-03-2004, 03:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Sure, go ahead and suggest it! It's a beast, for sure, but it's a cheap route if he'll use all 120VAC appliances. Might have to step it back up for his PAL/Secam TV though
Old 03-03-2004, 05:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
What would 50 cycles do to the ac compressor?

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 06:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
It's going to run slower and hotter... may not last as long, but should work.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:41 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

...I am still looking for the elegant solution that gives out 30 amps at 120 volts, 60 cycles...but it might be pretty expensive...

Give me a bit more time....the WSU guys move a bit slow.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Here in the UK, tools used by professionals on outside construction work usually run on 110v for safety. The mains electricity is 240v, 50 Hertz, and we all have dinky little transformers, usually bright yellow, that are designed to sit out in the rain. They are about an 8 inch cube. I use one with my concrete breaker, my SDS drill and my angle grinder. The guys standing in pools of water, and using a 240v tool are all very young.....I bought my transformer used for about $40. Any tool supply store for construction work will have them on the shelf. I would use one of these to sit on the ground under the rear fender of the trailer, and make up a conversion dog-bone to deal with the exterior connector system we use. Nick.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:52 AM   #9
pezz

1982 34' Limited
mire poix , midi pyrenees
UK 240v

HI all Well i converted my airstream from 110V to 240v ,just put a110V transforner for the fridge and the A/C,and it works fine but i very rarely use the A/C.I got some adaptors for the wall sockets from my local caravan shop o yes and i disconnected the battery charger from the unvolt,and put a 240 charger to it ,this way you keep all your fuse's.so far so good!!
perry
Old 03-04-2004, 12:45 PM   #10
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Hi
I've adviced the UK A/S owner on the Airstream site, to use transformers, like me, in front of the Air conditioned , the fridge and the univolt, with fans.

And that work well in this way with the 240 v;

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:48 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

stevenage , UK
Hi I am a UK Airstream newbie - just importing my 66 Overlander mid june 08, I am researching the 240v to 110v conversions - ie using a transformer, my elcrtical freind tells me 240v is 50htz and 110v is 60htz which meams that step down 110v 50htz will make stuff run hotter or not at all - maybe the light bulbs will burn out and so on
So with modern technology is an invertor better - is there some kit available in UK
I do not forsee a full rewire to 240v ads an option at the moment and o course I have USA a/c unit and fridge
I purchased USA 110v toaster, microwave, kettle, iron etc so that I had all appliances that are essential, plus my PC and LCD screen will run via the power pack on 110v.

Any help or tech advice welcome
Keith
keef@eurovettes.com
eurovettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:14 AM   #12
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Hi Eurovettes; my neighbor ( I'm in France, Dunkirk near calais ),
Welcome in this forum; it's the good place to know all about Airstream.
As you've seen above, I 've converted 240 / 50hz to 110/50 hz without problem for my genuine US AC, fridge and converter ( replaced now ). using lower frequency don't disturb these electrical equipment.
I think it's easier to let a 240v in all the trailer and using transformers 240/110v on only 3 equipments because to convert all power you need in 110v, you'l need a really great capacity and heavy transformer you 'll not find.
just for my A/C, I use a 2500 w transformer, a 800W for the converter, and a 300w for the fridge...
I've red you've purchase toaster, microwave... in USA to be used in your trailer in 110v but how you'll do with your haidresser, your TV, your electric shaver, your UK radio, your BBQ... all you plug currently in your UK life as you are at home...

it's my opinion.

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

stevenage , UK
many thanks Bruno - all advice welcome, yes I am not sure whether to convert to 240v right away, I will decide once spending time with the Stream.
I went to Dunkerque one month ago on my annual drive to Italy, maybe next time I will drop by for Beer.....
I will be over in France next week (UK Corvette pilgramage to Le Mans 12-16th June). My Overlander does not arrive from USA until 17th so I will make a list of things I need to do to make it useable straight away. For example - the water heater is no good so needs a replacement. I will spend the summer making improvements to make it livable and I intend to live in it this year.

thanks Keith
keef@eurovettes.com
Old 06-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Keith,

Just get a transformer - much cheaper in the states but you can get good units here here for about 150 quid - depends on your budget and what you want to achieve. Add a 240v ringmain as well. I would not advise a rewire - lots of cash and hassle.

Boom Sounds
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #15
karl clipper

1950 18' Clipper
southampton , hampshire england
hi, i know a building type transformer works fine,you need a 3.2 kva one or above if you run an aircon unit, but make sure it's a continual use one , most uk importers use them.

karl,hampshire
karlclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Peterborough , Cambs
A Uk 'Building site' transformer will work..........for a while! but it will eventually kill some equipment.

We manufacture a unit that is designed specifically for this job.
There is a choice of sizes but the smallest is sufficient for most trailer RV's.
It gives 3k @ 110v ; a rectified 12v rail plus a 240v rail for adding UK circuits.
If we do a conversion we fit floor type 240v sockets that are covered with an ally flap so they are not an eyesore.

These units are CE approved, will not destroy existing equipment and are quiet.

The basic model provides a 12v rail that is designed to run all your low voltage stuff when on hook-up so you can choose to use that or use your univolt (if it still works) or install a standard battery charger.
We also do a model with an intelligent 3 stage charger so everything becomes automatic
StreamerUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Hi StreamerUK,

Do you have a link to your website or do can you email me details on your transformer.

thanks

Boom Sounds
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:29 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Peterborough , Cambs
Don't think URL posting is allowed but have PM'd you

Anyone else wanting deets just PM and we will get back to you
StreamerUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

stevenage , UK
UK thanks

well great advice and many thanks for your opinions and help
I am now hooked up wit helectric - short term 110v and will paln to convert to 240 later in the year

Now next problem is Propane and what to use in UK - see my question posted here
Cheers
Keith
Old 07-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
The only item in your AS that needs 110 volt are the AC and the convertor.
The AC is most likely on a separate fuse so it is easy to use a transformer for just the AC.
The heating element in the fridge can easy be replaced by a 240 heating element ( around 50 GBP )

On a older trailor the converter has most likely seen better day's, so jou can replace it with a 240 volt unit.

I got some US plugs and put them on everything I use in the airstream.

Remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote