Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Local Regs & Licensing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Boulder County , Colorado
Temp tags

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at purchasing a used Airstream out of state and then towing it around the East Coast for a little bit. My grand plan is to pick it up later this month, tow it to Long Island where my in-laws live, leave it 'camping' there for June (I'm travelling for work most of June ) but when things calm down in July, I'd like to run it down the East Coast for 2-3 weeks and then back to Colorado.

Does anyone have experience purchasing an Airstream (not from a dealer) out of state and then cruising it around for a while +45 days before getting it registered back in your home state? In Colorado, they have to do a VIN inspection before they'll let you register your A/S and get tags.

Thanks! Matt
GoDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Sorry, I can't help you with the registration issue, but welcome to the forums anyways.

I'm certain someone will chime in soon with helpful info.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
GoDucks,
The State of Virginia allowed us to download a temporary registration from the Dept. of Motor Veh. website when we picked our baby up in South Carolina. It was good for 3 days from date of sale, I think, and I seem to remember I could purchase another 3 days for an additional $5 or so.

Bottom line: Ask your Colorado DMV what they allow. Once that is known a plan could be made.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
We live in Fla and bought from a private owner in Pa- We thought it would NEVER stop snowing up there!! Finally, we got a small window between storms and made a run for it the end of March. We contacted our DMV here and then the DMV in Pa. We had the option of driving 50 miles to a larger town in Pa toget a temp tag and pay the tax in Pa, or get the temp tag in the small town where we picked it up and defer to pay the tax when we got back to Fla. We opted for the latter. The state of Pa only issues temp tags for 30d. The PO traveled out of state when they bought it new and they only got 2 weeks to bring it back (from Illinois, I think) in 2007. Bottom line, the DMV in the state that you buy is the one that determines how long the temp tag is good for- how you pay the tax may vary as there are some states that do not have reciprocity. Hope this helps and good luck!
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, registration, temp tags