Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Would you say that is Normal?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Yep, find out what your city ordinances are.

We cannot park ours in the driveway November 1-April 1, can store it in the back yard as long as it is not forward of the rear wall.

Maggie

Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Check the covenants and have the realtor representing the seller put in writing as a stipulation to purchase that the property does not disallow RV parking.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
What are you going to do when the airstream you might buy in 2014 kills the grass in lawn of the home you might buy in a neighborhood that might have an HOA? Just wondering.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Would you say that is Normal?

Dave
It's normal for Normal.

You're so funny.

Maggie
Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Rumship - if the house we settle on is not suitable to store AS - then I will pay to store elsewhere ......

Yeah bluff park ha some newer developments but we do not like most of those houses in formal developments - lots mostly too small. Most the ones we like seem not to have HOA per reality website but I didn't know if the city independently had restrictions - that is what I will look into to cover my bases.

To be honest - I am not entirely sure how to vet inspectors - Angie's list? My last inspector for this house was thorough....? Tangent sorry

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Don't settle for one answer, either. I checked my city's code for the laws regarding RVs and found that they must be on a solid surface (not gravel or grass), which was fine. But a friend of mine in the same town said that all of the RV owners on her street were fined for having their RVs in front of the front wall of the house - i.e., it can't be parked in FRONT of the house but it can be along side it. I parked the B190 in front of the house for years without an issue, and an expanded driveway means our trailer is now next to the house, so if that is a law we're not violating it now.

In our town, I think it comes down to whether you have a neighbor that wants to complain.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #21

2011 22' Sport
Homewood , Alabama
PharmGeek:
I recommend Dave Wandrisco:

David Wandrisco | Reliable Inspection Service | Birmingham | Alabama | ASHI, American Society of Home Inspectors

We've used him on every home inspection we've done in the Bham area. And a few of those inspections led us to walk away from what would have otherwise been nightmare purchases. He's pretty thorough. We store our 22' Sport outside at SouthHall storage on Hwy 31 for $60/month, but only because our residential lot is too steep to park the Airstream. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
THANKS Polarman...that is just the kind of great info that could be VERY useful to me when we are looking at houses....we are not close to this part of the process yet...who knows how long it will take to sell the house? Real estate agent seems upbeat..but do those people ever seem any other way? Things are simply not just flying off the shelf that quick right now...most of the listings we have looked at just for our fun and interest in the last couple months are still listed....so yeah...could be a while before a prospect shows up...at the right price that is...

Thanks again. Ill look him up for sure.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The reason to have the trailer at home is that it is easier to fix and easier to load and unload. Some places allow a trailer for a day or two, but no permanent storage.

You can make a deal conditioned on RV parking being allowed. Similar language is in a real estate contract, for ex., that conditions the deal on getting a mortgage.

Gene
Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
One of the best things we did when purchasing our current home 16 years ago was to get a house with a flat driveway and no HOA. A Trailer wasn't even a twinkle in our eye yet so I'm glad it just worked out. The no HOa for reasons described elsewhere here, but having a flat driveway lets us park the trailer there to load and unload which makes it much easier! Don't know if your area is as hilly as Atlanta but you may want to consider this.

My husband had an electrical panel added in the garage with the correct voltage and moved the sewer clean out valve right by there so we can dump too if needed. ( im not sure these are the correct terms - you may be able to tell that I'm not the technical person in the family

We usually turn the refrig and freezer on a day or two before we leave and I can pack food at my "leisure" bringing out stuff from the house and bringing bags from the grocery store directly to the trailer.

Good luck with your purchases!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #25
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
One of the points being lost in what is generally a worthwhile discussion above is that both the ordinances themselves and the enforcement conventions are subject to change over time. So, even if everything checks out now, there's nothing that says that some new ordinance won't be passed next month that disallows whatever you're doing.

The other fact to consider is that neighbors who don't like your rig can make real nuisances of themselves in many ways especially if well-connected politically. So you may think you're in compliance with everything and then have a health dept inspector show up and write you up for ... who knows... the water connection being too close to the ground or the septic system being the wrong size or something.

The safest way to go is find a community where there are a substantial number of people who are doing what you want to do... talk to them... find out how much hassle they get and how strong the political headwinds are.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The reason to have the trailer at home is that it is easier to fix and easier to load and unload. Some places allow a trailer for a day or two, but no permanent storage.

You can make a deal conditioned on RV parking being allowed. Similar language is in a real estate contract, for ex., that conditions the deal on getting a mortgage.

Gene
what "teeth" would such a conditioned deal have ultimately though?

Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjude View Post
One of the best things we did when purchasing our current home 16 years ago was to get a house with a flat driveway and no HOA. A Trailer wasn't even a twinkle in our eye yet so I'm glad it just worked out. The no HOa for reasons described elsewhere here, but having a flat driveway lets us park the trailer there to load and unload which makes it much easier! Don't know if your area is as hilly as Atlanta but you may want to consider this.

My husband had an electrical panel added in the garage with the correct voltage and moved the sewer clean out valve right by there so we can dump too if needed. ( im not sure these are the correct terms - you may be able to tell that I'm not the technical person in the family

We usually turn the refrig and freezer on a day or two before we leave and I can pack food at my "leisure" bringing out stuff from the house and bringing bags from the grocery store directly to the trailer.

Good luck with your purchases!
I understood your terminology....I have in my current house a spot that can be unscrewed too for access to sewer pipe outflow...I thought of the same thing you are talking about...

Having the AS would be ideal right near the house for reasons specified! But that is "city living" for ya...I will simply be as prepared as I can be to ensure that I am within the current rules...and worse comes to worse, Ill find some storage and just deal with that annoyance....life would still go on though, just not ideal obviously...

Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
One of the points being lost in what is generally a worthwhile discussion above is that both the ordinances themselves and the enforcement conventions are subject to change over time. So, even if everything checks out now, there's nothing that says that some new ordinance won't be passed next month that disallows whatever you're doing.

The other fact to consider is that neighbors who don't like your rig can make real nuisances of themselves in many ways especially if well-connected politically. So you may think you're in compliance with everything and then have a health dept inspector show up and write you up for ... who knows... the water connection being too close to the ground or the septic system being the wrong size or something.

The safest way to go is find a community where there are a substantial number of people who are doing what you want to do... talk to them... find out how much hassle they get and how strong the political headwinds are.
I think I may know what you mean! I had a pile of stuff that the trash people needed to pick up...I called and asked for pickup..waited, waited, waited...my older neighbor who "knows alot of people" made a call to someone in a government office....next day the crap was picked up....

If he were the pissed off neighbor, then it would not bode well for storing AS on my property