Old 07-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
1978 28' Ambassador
Boerne , Texas
Unhappy Lost Texas Title

I purchased a 63 Ambassador from a guy who had it on his ranch. It's probably been there 20 years. He gave me a bill of sales with the serial numbers on it of both the door plate and the tongue. I took the number to the tax office here and they can not find anything on it. I can not get a title so therefore I can not register it. Can someone tell what the VIN number on their title is. The tax office wants a 17 digit number and there just is not one on a 63. Has any one in Texas had to go through this? I really want to restore this baby but I'm afraid to spend any more money until I get a title.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #2

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
The person you're talking to in the tax office is probably young and inexperienced. A modern VIN is always a long number, but for LOTS of older vehicles it was much shorter. It's even possible that you have the correct VIN and a problem exists between the keyboard and the chair at the tax office... they may need a particular format to search an older/shorter VIN, or they may need leading 0's, etc.

It's also possible that if it's been stationary on a ranch for more than 20 years, its record had been inactive long enough that it was never loaded into the database under the assumption that it had been scrapped or something. I'm sure there's a method for creating a new record if there was never a computerized record and you want to register it.

Here's a link for the TX DMV lost titles page. There's a form to download and instructions about what you need from the previous owner as well, and it says to mail to (or go in person to) the TX DMV regional office, which for you is probably the one at Fredericksburg and 410. Take photos of the VIN plate and if you find a VIN stamped on the frame. See what they can do. My VIN on the Texas title for my '75 is only 8 digits long.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
look here.
63Ambassador