Old 08-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
1967 24' Tradewind
manerba del garda , Italy
from Italy to hamburg like AS' hunter

Hi friends, this is Luca and Clo from Lake of Garda, Italy. Do you remember us? Recently we've posted our new entry on Member Introductions, now we are here to tell you our first car trip around Germany for a date in Hamburg with Daniel Goldt. He is a guy getting an imported AS' store, ready for restoring. Amazing! Daniel gave us many good informations about his great job. We just understand the real problem about empty shells from US e could be able to set up and restore the roof, the floor... changing wheeles, brakes and electric system, but the great problem is the American pipe that is not good for European towing. I guess this is the real problem because is not simple to replace the pipe. It's the end of the chassis! But if Daniel is able to do it why I and Clo couldn't do it in the same way? What do you think about? For now we only get a little ASí toy but in the future...why not? Hi all.

Lu and clo

Old 08-29-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy from the left side of the POND!

Was in Rome a few years back. We took 24 of our Altar Servers from Sacred Heart, Elgin, Texas there! No Airstream however....

Replacing plumbing? Why? Are you doing a full restore? If you have an "empty shell" then most plumbing will be accessible. All new AS have "PEX" water lines. Is this not a Euro standard?

So some more specifics would help. What do u want to replace???

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
1967 24' Tradewind
I'm thinking about a full restoration on a 22'- 25' vintage AS, disassembling it for a new project good for italian driving laws. In any case the original US hook is not good for European driving and must be changed and i think this is a hard job. Do you think I'll be able to do it? Thanks for your words

Luca
Old 08-30-2014, 03:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by luca16 View Post
In any case the original US hook is not good for European driving and must be changed and i think this is a hard job. Do you think I'll be able to do it? Thanks for your words
Luca, are you asking about putting on a new coupling on the trailer? One like this?

Or one like this?

If so, yes, any good welding shop should be able to do that job.

Most Airstreams and travel trailers use the "A Frame" style so look for something like this to weld on.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Luca, are you talking about the tow hitch "coupler" at the front of the frame (in front of the battery box, propane tanks and tongue jack) that goes over (and locks onto) the trailer ball on your tow vehicle? (See photo, below.)

The "coupler" is replaceable, but it is welded to the frame. To remove and replace this part, you need special welding equipment. In the USA, you can rent or buy welders; but this may be expensive for a one-time job. Also, for this part to be structurally sound (strong), the person welding these parts together should have lots of welding experience; as it is easy to do a bad job and difficult to do a good one.

Personally, unless you are an experienced welder, I would pay to have a good RV repair or welding shop do this for you, instead of doing this yourself. If a poor welding job is done to install the new coupler, the welds could break apart and your Airstream would come off from your tow vehicle while driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzAirstream Hitch Coupler.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	220243  
Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
1967 24' Tradewind
Dear friends, unfortunately I guess my problem is more complex. In Italy a simple weldering coupler you showed me are solely good for stationary use. European driving laws require a particular inertial breaking system automatically working like a ram against the TV when speed decreased. This is the reason why I think the american frame is not good and must be changed. I'm ready to do it, with your good informations and suggestions! Your "mangia spaghetti" Lu & Clo
Old 08-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
To keep American trailers out of Europe and allow Europe to continue sell way over priced for what you get units, they banned electric brakes and weight distribution hitches. Most European caravans have sub 500 pound tongue weights and surge brakes. They also do not carry much water and the black and gray tanks system need to be dumped almost every other day as you remove and carry the tank to a dump location (no hoses).

So in addition to the metric ball hitch, the brakes have to be converted to hydraulic from electric.

Good luck with your conversion. Anything is possible if the wallet is full of currency.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Luca, is this similar to what you are planning to install?

http://media.channelblade.com/EProWe...kes5_large.jpg

These are commonly used on boat and utility trailers here in the USA. You should be able to buy this part and have it installed as easily the other type of coupler, although I have no idea what it might cost.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Munich , Bavarian
Hi guys If you like a airstream on Europe road s you have to change the axles including the brakes. There is a very important point to now. Its possible that you have to move the axel roundabout 30 cm in the direction to the front. Because of the wight limit from the TV. Best regards

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 08-31-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Munich , Bavarian
Oh mistake I ment a very important point know :-)
Old 08-31-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I see that this is more complicated and expensive than I originally thought. I forgot electric brakes shoes won't work with hydraulic brake lines; so besides the surge brake coupler, you also need new hydraulic brake lines, backing plates, and entire brake assemblies.

Maybe you could have brakes converted before Airstream leaves the USA. It might be worth the extra expense to have this done here. Utility trailer rental centers (like U-Haul) or RV repair shops that work on marine/boat trailers (both of which usually have surge/hydraulic brakes) could do this.

Also, if axles are worn out, these could be replaced at the same time. Axle replacement would probably be cheaper to have done here, because shipping axles from USA to you, separate from the Airstream, would be an extra expense. This could be costly, too; because of heavy weight of axles and brake parts. However, if these repairs were done first, these parts would already be on your Airstream; and there would be no additional expense, above the actual shipping cost of the trailer.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
1967 24' Tradewind
Great informations from the Community! I was sure your friendship! Phoenix, your solution is good, however I'm seriously considering to buy an original US trailer "so how is" restoring it complitly in Italy, helping by a mechanical engineer for frame's planning and a good welder for build up! Hei! ...Just now my daughter Giulia is leaving for Chicago, one mounth Holiday and, why not, do you guess she could find out there somebody willing to sell what I need? Maybe a private owner or even a store.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
There is a huge range in the conditions of used trailers. Some have already been completely refurbished and look (and cost) almost like a new one. And, at the other end of the spectrum, others may look like they are ready for the scrap yard or metal recycler.

When we started seriously looking for our Airstream, we found a lot of trailers that needed more repairs than I was capable doing myself. It seemed like the ones in good shape were either handed down to other family members; or a friend or neighbor immediately bought it, and the Airstream never was offered for sale to the public. Consequently, in several years of searching, we never found a used model that we liked; and we finally decided to buy a new Bambi.

I suspect that that if your daughter looks for an Airstream while she is in Chicago, she could possibly spend her entire holiday searching and shopping, without finding a suitable Airstream.

I think to get a good idea of what is available for sale, take a look at the classified ads on this forum. Also, you might search the Websites of a few Airstream dealers. Below are a couple of links for you to get started. However, please note that I personally have no experience with these Websites or dealers.

For your protection, due to your remote overseas location, I suggest you use extreme caution in any dealings with sellers with whom you are unfamiliar. For example, postings on "Craig's List" seem to occasionally be troublesome, with some buyers being cheated out of their money.

Other AirForums members may be able to offer better advice on how to best approach buying a used Airstream from your remote location.

Good luck in your search.

==========

Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstream Trailers For Sale

New Airstreams for Sale, Used Airstream Trailers for Sale, Airstream Mercedes Sprinter Interstate for Sale, Flying Cloud, Bambi, Classic, Sport
Old 09-02-2014, 03:34 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
1967 24' Tradewind
Thanks Phoenix! I just post our Forum friend Airshensley, she get a 26' overlanded for sale, I like it!