Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1976 Argosy 28
1978 28' Argosy 28
Lodi , California
Colorado title purchasing from 3rd party in California

I am looking at purchasing a trailer in California that has a Colorado title(party A) (tag is from 04) purchased by party (B) in California, non-op form filled out but not registered, sold to party (C) in California but not registered, parked in field. So we are Party (D). Party A and B have signed the title, party C has not signed yet and neither have we.

Anyone have suggestions for getting this trailer registered in California?
triterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Pacific Grove , California
I've recently registered my newly acquired out of state 2006 AS in California. If you have any title papers and with a bill of sale, you'd need to go to the DMV, and get a VIN # verification to complete the process. Whatever paperwork you have would be helpful.
GFA.arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Make sure you go to DMV within 10 days of the sale date or they'll double the sales tax.

Zep
Old 11-07-2014, 12:24 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Pacific Grove , California
I didn't experience any penalties for delaying the registration process. We picked up the trailer and spent 2 weeks on the road. Needless to say it was about 30 days before I started the registration process. I didn't take the trailer to DMV the first time around so that's when I found out about the VIN verification issue. I contacted DMV before the purchase and they said to get it registered within 30 days of entering the state. On top of that the trailer had no plates due to the PO keeping the personalized plates. We never got stopped!

The 2 weeks we were on the road was a great way to find out what did and didn't work and where the leaks were. Summer time in the Oregon High cascade lakes will test just about everything!
GFA.arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Centennial (Denver) , Colorado
always best

go to your california motor vehicle licensing office and ask for the manager, then show he or she copies of all the title work, get her to write down exactly what you will need to do before making the purchase. often they will require getting a fresh duplicate before transfer begin to happen, that can delay things 4-6 weeks!!! john skalet
jskalet is offline   Reply With Quote