Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Enumclaw , Washington
Buying in Canada (BC) and bringing it back to the US?

Hi...our son is buying an Airstream in Canada (BC) and apparently they don't use titles there. Wondering if anyone knows what would be needed to bring the trailer into the US...and how do we get a title for it? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #2

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
What is called "the title" in the USA is called the "ownership" in Canada, and of course, we do have it. The format changes somewhat from one province to another, but there is an ownership document for every motor vehicle and travel trailer.

But, of course, anything can go wrong. People lose things, for various reasons.

To me, (and I don't know the law) it is the seller's responsibility to have the ownership, and I would not buy from a party that could not produce one. In your son's case, with him needing to cross the border and get a US title, it would seem to be even more important.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.
-- Egyptian
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
1962 16' Bambi
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
You have to clear customs with the trailer, take the owership paper and the bill of sale into your DMV and they will issue you a title or registration in your state. It's not very hard as the trailer was made in the U.S.A.
60 Ambassador Int.
56 Whale tail
98 Safari
68 Tradewind
Shacksman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Did Canada to Houston

Bought mine new in 2001 from CanAm RV, London, Ontario. The dealer drove it across the boarder into the US, hooked me up and after a round-about trip to Texas registered it in Houston. Search on "withidl" as I have posted about it.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Hi, we were going to purchase our AS from CanAm in Canada but, they didn't have the model we wanted. A friend from the Forums did in fact purchase hers from CanAm and drove it to Colorado. She sent me this below in case I went ahead with a Canadian purchase. Hope it helps.
Licensed to tow

If you are going to import an Airstream from Canada into the State of Colorado, be aware that this is a short list of the things you will need to get the thing licensed in your county (I am not guaranteeing this is it; different localities/counties have different requirements, mine was for Boulder county):
  • The Bill of Sale;
  • A statement of the original MSRP on the dealership letterhead;
  • ownership document (which could be called quite a few different things, but essentially is the title papers whatever form it takes);
  • Any customs forms from the importer (will usually include things like the affidavit of US manufacture, a declaration of importation, statement regarding the importation of Radio Frequency devices, declaration for imported electronic products subject to radiation control standards, etc.);
  • BEFORE YOU OR YOUR DEALERSHIP LEAVE THE BORDER, GET A US CUSTOMS/BORDER PATROL ENTRY FORM. Any one of forms 7523, 3299, 3311, 7501, or 3461 will suffice. If you don’t get this, you will need to go to the Customs Port at DIA near Pena and Jackson Gap to get an inspection and a form;
  • A certified weight slip (Boulder can give you a slip with four locations to get the trailer weighed);
  • Verification of VIN–which they’ll likely do for you at the DMV, but call and check, because sometimes you have to have someone come out to do it.
In Boulder County, they will take the weight of the trailer (so make sure it’s empty when you take it to be weighed or pay for it), the MSRP, and the price you paid for the trailer and toss it all into the financial hopper and squeeze money out of…I mean, tax you and license you.
I called ahead of leaving Colorado to go pick up the Bambino and got a list of the things they’d need, but the form numbers weren’t on the list, I didn’t realize I’d need a certified weight slip (most counties do not need the weight, though, apparently, lucky us Boulder county residents), nor the MSRP, which CanAm kindly faxed directly to the DMV. They also didn’t give Kirk a copy of any of the above listed forms at the border, because not all states require them. I’d still recommend that you call your county DMV for a list anyway.
Personally, if I hadn’t had Daniel at the DMV at Boulder County, I’d probably have come well unglued over this two week process. His sarcasm and sense of humor and willingness to yell back and forth about politics made it all bearable! Well, for us, anyway. Apparently some people thought we were altogether too cheerful for a DMV.
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Enumclaw , Washington
Thank you Anna...very helpful!!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
MUCH Easier in Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Hi, we were going to purchase our AS from CanAm in Canada but, they didn't have the model we wanted. A friend from the Forums did in fact purchase hers from CanAm and drove it to Colorado. She sent me this below in case I went ahead with a Canadian purchase. Hope it helps.
Licensed to tow

If you are going to import an Airstream from Canada into the State of Colorado, be aware that this is a short list of the things you will need to get the thing licensed in your county (I am not guaranteeing this is it; different localities/counties have different requirements, mine was for Boulder county):
  • The Bill of Sale;
  • A statement of the original MSRP on the dealership letterhead;
  • ownership document (which could be called quite a few different things, but essentially is the title papers whatever form it takes);
  • Any customs forms from the importer (will usually include things like the affidavit of US manufacture, a declaration of importation, statement regarding the importation of Radio Frequency devices, declaration for imported electronic products subject to radiation control standards, etc.);
  • BEFORE YOU OR YOUR DEALERSHIP LEAVE THE BORDER, GET A US CUSTOMS/BORDER PATROL ENTRY FORM. Any one of forms 7523, 3299, 3311, 7501, or 3461 will suffice. If you don’t get this, you will need to go to the Customs Port at DIA near Pena and Jackson Gap to get an inspection and a form;
  • A certified weight slip (Boulder can give you a slip with four locations to get the trailer weighed);
  • Verification of VIN–which they’ll likely do for you at the DMV, but call and check, because sometimes you have to have someone come out to do it.
In Boulder County, they will take the weight of the trailer (so make sure it’s empty when you take it to be weighed or pay for it), the MSRP, and the price you paid for the trailer and toss it all into the financial hopper and squeeze money out of…I mean, tax you and license you.
I called ahead of leaving Colorado to go pick up the Bambino and got a list of the things they’d need, but the form numbers weren’t on the list, I didn’t realize I’d need a certified weight slip (most counties do not need the weight, though, apparently, lucky us Boulder county residents), nor the MSRP, which CanAm kindly faxed directly to the DMV. They also didn’t give Kirk a copy of any of the above listed forms at the border, because not all states require them. I’d still recommend that you call your county DMV for a list anyway.
Personally, if I hadn’t had Daniel at the DMV at Boulder County, I’d probably have come well unglued over this two week process. His sarcasm and sense of humor and willingness to yell back and forth about politics made it all bearable! Well, for us, anyway. Apparently some people thought we were altogether too cheerful for a DMV.
If memory serves me correctly, all I had to do was provide the sales documents (~20% off of the MSRP of $61,000+) and verbally provide the GVWR of 8,300#; didn't even have to inspect it; cost a little over $3000 in tax and licensing for a 31' 2002 ASCL with genset. Might want to consider moving to Texas!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Since he's buying here in BC, I'll chime in. The owner will need to get a vehicle transfer form from his local licensing office. This form transfers ownership to the buyer. The owner will also need his vehicle registration/insurance forms for the transfer so that the new owner can purchase insurance for transport. It's pretty simple really. If there are any questions, the simplest thing for your son to do would be stop into any insurance office or an ICBC branch.
Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Something else to keep in mind is that the age of the trailer can change the process. I'm not sure about going from Canada to the US, but if you're bringing a trailer into Canada that's less than 15 years old you need to go through the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. Vehicles older than 15 years are exempt.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Enumclaw , Washington