Old 01-28-2008, 11:40 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Lumatic-- Perhaps you can be instrumental in getting your state laws modified as well. Like here in Florida, the confusion arises over the wording. The law is ambigious between vehicle and motorized. I argued that even though it's a trailer, it has a vehicle title and registration. Even though vehicle usually implies having a motor, the wording just isn't right. Like you said, all they would have to do is strike off the word motor and leave the rest the same. Maybe they can get it fixed, it would be cool to have an old plate on a vintage trailer as well as let people on the road know what year it really is. I tell people my trailer is a '68 and they can't believe it until they see the inside.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
... The glich is the statute describes YOM plates on MOTOR vehicles . Since my Airstream is motorless I'm out of luck for now.
Hey Lumatic:

Don't you have a margarita blender in your Airstream? And doesn't the blender have a motor? See where this is going... ? Or push a crate motor thru the door and drive down to the DMV to show them your Airstream now has a motor ...

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Tradewind
I wasn't albe to pull this off after all . I got the plate back in the mail from the Tallahsaee office with a letter stating that mobile homes, campers and trailers did not qualify for the Y.O.M. program . That's not what I was told at the local DMV office.
More than once when a particular DMV office told me I can't or I need some document I didn't have I would just go to a different DMV branch, or even return later to a different window and get er done.

There is a local DMV office in Estancia which consists of a single person at a single desk, Estancia being Estancia we know each other of course and Cindy is usually very accomodating. The larger problem than the statute however is the state computer system will not recognize a YOM tag for any trailer. Cindy tried.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
be glad your state only meets for a month to spend your money.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
So after going to the director of MVD for NM and being told "sorry, you can't put a YOM plate on a TT because the statute says motor vehicle and your TT doesn't have a motor, wait until next year and maybe we can change the wording of the law". I went to a vintage rally last weekend (the justly well recommended 1st annual Four Corner Unit Vintage Restoration Rally) and found not one but 2 ASs with NM YOM plates, 1958 and 1962. With a modicum of righteous indignation I marched back into my MVD and got the same blank stares. but,. They told me to call the head honcho at the "special plates" office in Santa Fe who told me to call the Bureau chief who said "of course you can put a YOM plate on a 71 Airstream, who ever told you you couldn't. I proceeded to tell him my YOM saga. He sent me an email as such cc to the local MVD office. I smugly went back to MVD and got me my green 1971 NM House Trailer plates registered and it only took my 4 trips to MVD, 1 phone call to my state legislator, 3 calls to Santa Fe and 1 email.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	licplate.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	59786  
Old 05-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Yukon License Plate

Doesn't have anything to do with YOM plates but I saw this one on a trip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	polarplate2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	59788  
Old 05-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
I renew next week but they tell me I can register mine. Robert
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plate 001.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	59798  
Old 05-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
It's amazing how many people you have to go through before getting the right answer. I'm told that when you deal with the I.R.S., you'll be given as many answers as the number of people you talk to, so yo go with the answer you like the most.

I'm currently trying to make an appointment with our state rep, but the Holy Elections are coming up, so that's where the main attention is going now.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Lumatic, that is a cool plate, I glad you posted a picture of that. I'll have to look for one of those on eBay!

I like your saying, "The Lumatic is in my head"
Old 05-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
So after going to the director of MVD for NM and being told "sorry, you can't put a YOM plate on a TT because the statute says motor vehicle and your TT doesn't have a motor, wait until next year and maybe we can change the wording of the law". I went to a vintage rally last weekend (the justly well recommended 1st annual Four Corner Unit Vintage Restoration Rally) and found not one but 2 ASs with NM YOM plates, 1958 and 1962. With a modicum of righteous indignation I marched back into my MVD and got the same blank stares. but,. They told me to call the head honcho at the "special plates" office in Santa Fe who told me to call the Bureau chief who said "of course you can put a YOM plate on a 71 Airstream, who ever told you you couldn't. I proceeded to tell him my YOM saga. He sent me an email as such cc to the local MVD office. I smugly went back to MVD and got me my green 1971 NM House Trailer plates registered and it only took my 4 trips to MVD, 1 phone call to my state legislator, 3 calls to Santa Fe and 1 email.
Lumatic

Glad this got sorted out for you.

I learned a lesson though about going through all the trials and tribulations I'd been through already to finally get someone who agreed yes. First I was told yes, then asked why I seemed perplexed so I told my saga - similar to yours but motorcycle - and then the person thought maybe they had just better check and confirm again before going ahead. It added a year to the process. If I'd of just said thank you so much, please send me something to take to my local branch, I'd of had my plates. I was really angry with myself when I realized I'd just talked myself out of my plates. It was almost another 17 months before I got what I wanted.

Barry