Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
Tribe

2011 34' Classic
Fort Leavenworth , Kansas
We're new here!

We bought our first Airstream 2 years ago. A 34' 2011 Anniversary Classic. Our family is hook, line, and sinker on mobile/tiny house living.
Unfortunately, we are now set to transfer overseas with the military, and can't take our trailer with us. For others who are/have been in this situation, what did you do? Consign? Private sale? Rent? It breaks my heart that we have to part so soon!!!
Tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I wish I had room in my back yard... I'd offer to store it for free! Nothing is too good for our service members!
Any chance of someone you know storing it for you???
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Reese , Michigan
Welcome--goodby

Sorry about life as it goes. How long will you be gone, maybe store till you get back. Did you really LOVE everything about the trailer, or have you picked up on some things that you may like better in the next one you buy when you return? If selling now is your decision-- it is the time to sell, rather than fall when very few people are looking to purchase. There is the for sale section here on airforums, as a member of tin can tourists there is the same available there that reach many viewers as well. Don't forget all the other media available-- newspapers, auto swappers that reach a large area--craigs list ect. on this media. Any local airstream dealers may buy it from you, or sell it on consignment, worth checking with them, they may have a buyer looking for your rig, and you would benefit from being in the right place at the right time. The more eyes that see it the better for you, best of luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57port c.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	236235   Click image for larger version

Name:	oct.2014 123.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	236236  

Old 04-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Tribe, if you want to keep her and can get her here, we will gladly store her for you while you're overseas. We stored our Navy son's trailer here for 3 years while they were in Hawaii. PM us if you want.

Chris & Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' Flying Cloud
Corvallis , Oregon
Yep. Ya grow up, and before you know it, they've sped up the clocks, and you're old! Don't leave the Starship! You're not missing anything out here!
Brooklyn Boy & Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Limestone Cave

Please read this thread - there are several places around the USA where you can store your Airstream UNDERGROUND. At least one is quite close to you.

I know the military has gotten "less generous" than they once were ... but will they pay for storage for your Airstream? If so, check this out. Even if not, if you aren't going for a long assignment this would be a great alternative.

Thank you for your service, and be safe.

Paula
Old 04-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
You have what you want... why lose it? Stow and go!.. and thanks for your service!

What is your price?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Something that Chris had forgotten about storing your trailer at our house when he offered, is that in order for us to store our son's trailer, they had to give us ownership of it so we could keep insurance on it. No insurance company seemed willing to insure it in a different state other than where they were or the tow vehicle was. That might not be true of a storage facility storing it, but something to keep in mind if you want to store her at a private home.
Not to say we wouldn't let you sign her over to us! But you probably wouldn't want to.... Oh well. The offer holds if you can work out insurance coverage. I wouldn't want to store a trailer not mine without insurance.

Kay
Old 04-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #9
Tribe

2011 34' Classic
Thank you ALL so much for your support!!!
We will be away for 3 years. I'm sure we *could* find storage - I am not sure the Navy would pay - but who knows what condition it would be in when we return??
We have 5 kids - we have maxed out the sleeping capacity Queen bed in the back with DH and baby, 2 kids on futon and 2 on the dinette. They are young, so it has worked...but coming back with a teenager, I think it is a better fit for someone else...
This will *not* be our last Airstream...it has been an incredible first experience, and whet our appetite for more...
100K OBO, Channing.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have an Airstream friend in Leavenworth. In fact I bought his trailer a few years back. He used to store it in Kansas at an underground limestone cave, storage facility. Don't have any idea what the cost is OR if they might throw a good deal to a Military family but might be worth the check. Protected from all elements, no hail damage, no need to winterize. Best of all worlds, if the price is right. If you are interested I can get the location information for you. It was near Liberty, Missouri

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
GO NAVY!!! Best of luck on your overseas deployment! It'll be a great adventure, especially for the kids.

Chris
Old 04-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Tribe
I would not be afraid to store it. Back in the early eighties i store our boat out side for more then two years when we were reassigned to Korea. Just be sure to do a good job in preping it for storage. Also most military bases have long term storage, albeit outside but it would be in a secure area.

Just something to think about.

May you and your family be safe when overseas.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Keep that long, long beautiful trailer!
If you can't, let's see if I can come up with the money to buy it!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #14
Tribe

2011 34' Classic
Thank you all. We are truly blessed to have this vehicle, and it looks like we may have the chance to keep it after all! We are excited for our new overseas adventure and the prospect of being able to return to our home-sweet-(mobile)home!