Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Airstream Germany

2010 International 684
2014 28' International
Limburg , Germany
The Long Long Honeymoon goes to Europe

It was our great pleasure to have Sean and Kristy Michael of Long Long Honeymoon as our guests here in Germany. In their new video they talk about their impressions of Airstream Camping in Europe and how they experience the differences between U.S. and European Airstreams models.
Enjoy :-)

http://youtu.be/PmqMPo406RQ
Old 08-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Great video! That is so unique. Think I like some of those features better.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
That was so cool!!! I definitely like our system of big tanks better, tho. I do not want to have to get fresh water and dump waste water every day.

I have been to Germany, and their smaller roads are really little, so I see the need for narrower trailers.

All in all, I like the good old USA. As they say, there's no place like home.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . enjoyed the look at European market ASs. I wonder if it's possible to buy one Stateside ? Just curious., Sean & Kristy were their usual entertaining selves. thanks for sharing, Aheun, & regards, Craig
Old 08-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

asheville , North Carolina
Thanks for posting this. Some very nice features on your German Airstreams that I wish were offered on those sold in the US.

Two quick questions please. How much weight do you save over a same sized US Airstream and how long does it take to heat up the trailer with the hot water heating system?
lloydnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I saw this on their fb page today - really neat - cool to hear Europeans enjoying AS!

The cassette system would be nice for those of us who cannot dump at home but otherwise it would be a bit of a hassle I guess but totally doable.

Interesting on the no belly pan difference

Wonder if they use the same subfloor material as in US?

Also wonder if the German models are seeing any filiform corrosion

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
I saw this yesterday on FB. Very well put together video. It would be interesting to see someone like (Airstream Europe) to rent rigs out including some type of TV. I know it would be something we would be very interested in!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Very interesting video.

I was particularly interested in the "No bellypan" idea. We live in Canada and travel south each winter and the belly pan to me is a very undesirable feature.

Salty water off the roads will always find its way up inside the belly pan and the salt residue just lays in there to be re activated every time you drive in the rain. No way to wash it away.

As a result the area around the rivets quickly erodes and belly pan sheets start to drop down, the side wraps (banana wraps) start to corrode through where they are riveted to the steel cross members due to the salt, and my suspicion is that the whole frame becomes move vulnerable to corrosion in a damp salty environment.

Our previous trailer (A UK Designed "Award") had no belly pan but had a galvanized frame - we had it for many years and although it was not without other problems, the under frame looked just as good when we sold it as when we bought it. It was basically just the plywood floor (no insulation) on the galvanized steel frame with some sort of undercoating applied to the plywood.

As well, absence of a belly pan made maintenance of plumbing, wiring, and waste tank drains much easier than with the AS.

IMHO - at least from a Canadian perspective - my vote would be to eliminate the belly pans! Maybe a slight argument can be made for a more streamlined profile for fuel economy, but I think other disadvantages outweigh that.

Just my thoughts, I have thought that since we first got the AS !

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
Airstream Germany

2010 International 684
2014 28' International
Limburg , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydnc View Post
Thanks for posting this. Some very nice features on your German Airstreams that I wish were offered on those sold in the US.

Two quick questions please. How much weight do you save over a same sized US Airstream and how long does it take to heat up the trailer with the hot water heating system?

Hello,

there is no detailed comparison between a same size US Modell and a European my estimate is about 800 LBS.

As this is water carrying heating system it is working a it more indirectly as an air blowing furnace... To heat up the trailer from cold outside temparture takes about 30 minutes to an hour.
To heat up the warm water for using in the shower and taps only takes about 10 minutes...

Best regards
Armin
Old 02-21-2021, 11:26 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Miller Lake , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Very interesting video.

I was particularly interested in the "No bellypan" idea. We live in Canada and travel south each winter and the belly pan to me is a very undesirable feature.

Salty water off the roads will always find its way up inside the belly pan and the salt residue just lays in there to be re activated every time you drive in the rain. No way to wash it away.

As a result the area around the rivets quickly erodes and belly pan sheets start to drop down, the side wraps (banana wraps) start to corrode through where they are riveted to the steel cross members due to the salt, and my suspicion is that the whole frame becomes move vulnerable to corrosion in a damp salty environment.

Our previous trailer (A UK Designed "Award") had no belly pan but had a galvanized frame - we had it for many years and although it was not without other problems, the under frame looked just as good when we sold it as when we bought it. It was basically just the plywood floor (no insulation) on the galvanized steel frame with some sort of undercoating applied to the plywood.

As well, absence of a belly pan made maintenance of plumbing, wiring, and waste tank drains much easier than with the AS.

IMHO - at least from a Canadian perspective - my vote would be to eliminate the belly pans! Maybe a slight argument can be made for a more streamlined profile for fuel economy, but I think other disadvantages outweigh that.

Just my thoughts, I have thought that since we first got the AS !

Brian.

Yes I agree , and don’t forget the European models have a insulated foam core sandwich floor !
Just like in the Atlas Coaches AIRSTREAM sells in the US

So: if the US models would finally have this in combination with the new non rotting subfloors available since 2020 we would all be in a better and warmer space, no more squeaks and rotting subfloors and over all a better insulated floor system!

And if only the ALDE radiant heat system would be available
( even as a option) in all US models , that would be just grand!

I am in my 4 Th Airstream and just dislike that forced air noise of the heating system....it’s like sleeping in a airplane

Well there is always hope for a better future [emoji6]
Airstreambay is offline   Reply With Quote