Old 08-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Chris, there's a joke in Scotland that ends something like 'he dis but Walt disney'. I think it may be in reference to something rude about Mickey Mouse.

Anyway, I read your thread with much interest. I'm not sure how well I'd cope with the kind of work you're tackling because the weather here is unforgiving and I'll have nowhere undercover to do the work.

I wondered how typical of 70s Airstreams it is to see a frame rusted through like yours?

Anyway, I'm wondering what sort of questions I should be asking sellers about their Aiirstreams, for example the one you pointed out to me on Ebay? In terms of the big dent on the upper right front, would that be easy enough to knock out? If I were to replace axles what kind of money would we be talking? And is there a special axle I'd need to import from the US or could something be fabricated?

Old 08-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #16
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Frank I don't remember exactly where the big dent up front is. If the outer skin is not creased the dent can be rolled out. Search the threads some people have made their own tool to do this. Sort of like a skateboard wheel on a handle. The problem is all the stuff you have to remove to pull the inner skins to get at the outer skin from the inside. Some people have used a painless dent removal that uses suction from outside to pull out the dent. The best location to find an A/S without frame rot is the desert like Arizona, New Mexico etc. The northern climate and the coastal climate units have been subjected to salt which just rots steel.
Inland RV in California has bolt on replacement axles and shocks for about $1650 USD for two axles and bolts and four shocks and bolts. They also have axle set ups with disc brakes for more money but they require mods to install hydraulic lines and actuators. For my frame the parts will be about $1000 USD for the entire frame including the main rails. Alocal welder will weld them all together for about $750 CAD. The POR-15 paint for the frame and the special floor bolts and screws about $300 USD and the marine grade plywood for the floor is almost $1000 CAD. In total the new frame, floor and axles will cost me almost $5000 CAD. It adds up fast but I will have an entire new trailer from the tires up. The way I am building after following tips and threads here the trailer will outlast me.
Try to find one in good shape, newer units aren`t any better. I`m not sure what year Airstream changed the fllor set up but they now use particle board which doesn`t stand up to water leaks at all. There are people here with 3 or 4 yr old trailers with the floor rotted out. Good luck on your search. If you find something you`re interested post it here and see what everyone thinks about it.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #17
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
frank,

the other thing is - if you can wait - occasionally people start a project AS and end up overwhelmed and then sell it after gutting it and rebuilding the frame and floor, sometimes doing more, and end up selling it at their cost or less - so you could save the time & cost of that labor and have a blank slate to start with. but you might need to wait 6 months to find something like that.

edit: ohh! look! could it be?

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...ct=10939&cat=6
Old 08-23-2010, 04:20 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
in Europe they use surge brakes not the electric brakes we have in the USA and Canada. The tongue has to be lengthened to accommodate the surge actuator. I do not think Andy carries that system.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:26 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Chris, in the photo the dent is on top left corner of the picture of the trailer. hard to see if it's creased. That's hardly surprising knowing that the newer trailers are built using inferior materials - it's the same with everything these days. Profit before quality.

NJ, that looks like a great project - and the frame on that trailer looks perfect after the work done on it. Unfortunately, I really need a much bigger trailer (31ft) which may be worth the wait if I could get one with the frame and floor refurbished (even though I'm now itching to get going with this!).

Is there a preferred place online to look for Airstreams? I had a look through the classified on the forum yesterday, then there's Ebay of course - anywhere else?

Thanks again folks, this is really helping me get clearer on what to look for.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #21
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Frank here is what I see:
1) Needs fridge,batteries,and water hose reel. Has new LPG tanks,converter, disc brakes, and axles look good. Has water leaks(burst pipes, body damage and clearcoat peeling. Rear bath model suffers from rear end seperation.
2)Needs axles,oven and fridge. Dents in body. Rear bath model.
3)Needs air con,LPG tanks,fridge and toilet.
4)Needs axles,furnace,oven,beds,LPG tanks. has new water heater.
5)Needs fridge but has been renovated and polished.
6)Desirable center bath and Zip Dee awning
7)Living room gutted and rear bath model
8)Needs axles,fridge,oven. Rear bath model.
If I had to choose 5) would be first choice and 1) would be close second and 6) third choice.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Wow. Thanks buddy. I really appreciate you going to all that trouble. Without any real knowledge, 6 would have been my first choice. I'll have another look at these and report back.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #23
x

XXXX , XXXX
It`s just my personal choice though. I`m partial to Excella`s. 6) may actually be a better choice than 1). 5) has already be done and polished and axles look good plus it comes from a dry climate with out salt. Contact the owner and see if it has always been in the desert.
6) current bid is $4500 but the reserve price has not been met yet. The reserve may be as high as $6000. You can`t tell with e-bay until you bid.
1) asking price is $4500 and will be negotiable. Excella has nicer interior and more options than soverign.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #24
x

XXXX , XXXX
Frank look here for values. Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values

1) $2200-$3500 as is or $4600-$9100 average
2,3,5,6,7,8) $1800-$2400 as is or $4100-$8500 average
4) $1200-$2300 as is or $4200-$7700 average
Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Hi Chris - many thanks again. I contacted the seller of No 1 and he isn't interested in dealing with an overseas buyer - sent me a curt email as if I had asked him for 50% off!

I'm in contact with the seller of No 6. I have first option on it apparently.
:
Waiting on reply from No 5. [EDIT: NOW SOLD]

When you say 'as is' in regard to the prices you've quoted, what does that mean? [PS just read the article from the link you posted - so now I know what you mean! That's a helpful table further down the page. But it seems to add another layer to the whole buying thing. Glad to have you guys helping me out here.]

EDIT: Chris, that water damaged one has a sagging belly pan apparently. Also, No 5 is sold. Which leave No 6 as the favourite so far. So in terms of the condition of No 6, what would you be comfortable paying for that particular trailer?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #26
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi frank sorry I was out of the campground for most of the day buying supplies for the tuck shop and materials for my excella. I think $3500 to $4500 would be a good range to go by. I would try to request someone to go and inspect it for you. The pics only tell so much. The seller doesn`t seem to know this unit. He is either flipping it or selling it for a friend. You can`t take his word that all the appliances work or that the floor is solid and it has no leaks. My floor fely very solid but it was the shell and it`s mounting C channel that was holding together.
The flood damaged unit is waterlogged so that is why the belly pan is sagging. For $800USD you can`t go wrong. It`s probably worth that in scrap aluminum. I would keep looking, don`t be in a hurry to buy any trailer the right one will come along.Try looking here. Vintage Airstream Classifieds | New & Used Airstream Trailers For Sale
Old 08-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #27
x

XXXX , XXXX
Frank I had a good look at the flood damaged unit. The dents are creased and would require replacing panels to repair. This trailer would be a good parts trailer only and I don`t think it is what you are looking for. Too bad the price is right.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for that Chris. Just PM'd you.