Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Oro Valley, Arizona
Arrow Buying Airstream from Canada bringing to Arizona.

I’m considering buying Airstream owned and kept in Canada 🇨🇦 and bringing to and registering unit in my home state of Arizona. 🇺🇸

The individual owner is using the unit as a trade value for a new RV; so the purchase will appear to be from the dealer in Canada to whom he’s trading the unit and thus avoiding Canadian tax on the full price of the new motor home.

Now then on my side of the border, here in Arizona, sales tax is levied on dealer to individual sales but not individual to individual sales.

Personally Inspecting the unit prior to purchase will not be possiable as owner is under time constraint for departing Canada for winter digs in Florida, so, though the unit appears pristine, how can I in short order have a trustworthy, reasonably expert, individual inspect the unit at my expense, prosecuting my interest in this proposed transaction?

What are the procedures and ramifications of such a transaction?

Also, can you help me determin what is the most economical way to ship a rig from near Detroit MI to Tucson AZ?

Thanks in advance for help and direction in my quest.
ride2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2k View Post
I’m considering buying Airstream owned and kept in Canada 🇨🇦 and bringing to and registering unit in my home state of Arizona. 🇺🇸

The individual owner is using the unit as a trade value for a new RV; so the purchase will appear to be from the dealer in Canada to whom he’s trading the unit and thus avoiding Canadian tax on the full price of the new motor home.

Now then on my side of the border, here in Arizona, sales tax is levied on dealer to individual sales but not individual to individual sales.

Personally Inspecting the unit prior to purchase will not be possiable as owner is under time constraint for departing Canada for winter digs in Florida, so, though the unit appears pristine, how can I in short order have a trustworthy, reasonably expert, individual inspect the unit at my expense, prosecuting my interest in this proposed transaction?

What are the procedures and ramifications of such a transaction?

Also, can you help me determin what is the most economical way to ship a rig from near Detroit MI to Tucson AZ?

Thanks in advance for help and direction in my quest.
I would be very careful, what about customs? On both sides of the border?, just drive on over to Detroit and check it out very carefully, if you like it, pull it home, not that big of a deal....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
The dealer brings it over to the US. You register and pay tax in your state. I've done it twice, no problems.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote