Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Anaheim , California
Buying a UK/ European Model Airstream in the US

This may sound like a stupid question, but here it goes anyway..
I was looking at the Airstream website and happened to look at the Airstream models that are sold in the UK and Europe and REALLY liked the one particular model The AirStream International 532. It just seems that the layout and fittings in the European models are a lot more stylish than those available in the US. Are these manufactured in the US or overseas and if manufactured here in the US, is it possible to purchase them here with the same layouts, fittings etc ?
Any info would help.
AirStrmFltRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirStrmFltRN View Post
... is it possible to purchase them here with the same layouts, fittings etc ?Any info would help.
no

although one could buy a unit off shore and bring it back to the usa....

the wiring wouldn't be correct, and some of the features may not work.

there may be 'import' issues or restrictiions...

finding adequate insurance coverage could be a challenge...

and it would be WICKED EXPENSIVE....

but u can READ LOTS about 'em here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f341...ead-35473.html

including reviews from the folks who use 'em over there...

YOU could start with one of the new safari models with the same size shell and redo the inside...

with many of the euro bits, THAT would be less expensive and easier to do...

another fun approach is buy one in the u.k. or germany then tour euro 4 a year or 2 in it....

bringing a USED trailer to the usa after a bit, might work with less issues.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
It has been said that you can go though Canada! The wiring works off of 12 volt for most of the unit! The euro converter would have to be replaced with a 110 one. They are build on a different frame (way better than us made ones). The trailer is more expensive than us made. The cost of shipping would be around $1000. The nice thing is this euro trailer fits in to a short sea container! The euro style is smaller than us made.

would be a very cool rally draw... could sell tickets and off set the price...lol
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
It has been said that you can go though Canada!...
who says this?

the canadian certified units have different specs and standards than the usa or euro bound units.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirStrmFltRN View Post
This may sound like a stupid question, but here it goes anyway..
I was looking at the Airstream website and happened to look at the Airstream models that are sold in the UK and Europe and REALLY liked the one particular model The AirStream International 532. It just seems that the layout and fittings in the European models are a lot more stylish than those available in the US. Are these manufactured in the US or overseas and if manufactured here in the US, is it possible to purchase them here with the same layouts, fittings etc ?
Any info would help.
The Euro models have surge brakes, and no tongue weight to speak of. They're designed for hauling with tiny SUV's. Or cars. The axles are in different positions. The trailering speed limit in Europe is 80 or 100km/h as far as I know. Their tires are smaller etc.etc. Their toilets are cassette types, sort of like a toilet with a blue boy under it. Not necessarily desirable for use in US.
If the design is what intrigues you, buying a shell from Airstream and having an interior custom built will get you there for probably less cost, and with the US standard already considered. The appliances you see in the Euro units can be bought here.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
who says this?

the canadian certified units have different specs and standards than the usa or euro bound units.

cheers
2air'

You can only import then in to the US through Canada... Just like all the grey market cars... YOU NO NOTHING ABOUT IT... I guess!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
... YOU NO NOTHING ABOUT IT... I guess!
which is WHY i asked who says this is possible?

grey market car imports are a very different issue, and most don't come into the usa via canada.

1. are u suggesting euro units can go FROM jackson center, directly to canada for purchase?

2. or that a euro unit after being SHIPPED to the u.k. or germany or japan or downunder,
can be returned to n.a. via canada?

IF you've got info on this process just share it, and explain HOW the unit is taxed and eventually TITLED in the usa?

my understanding is getting a euro unit BACK 2 north america is largely the same process...

regardless of canada or usa port.

expensive and time consuming and problematic...

cheers
2air'

Old 09-18-2008, 02:21 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Leyland , Lancashire
European Specification Airstreams

Hi Guys

Thanks for picking up the info on European Airstreams.

I work for Airstream Inc as the Director for Airstream Europe Sales & Marketing.

You are all kind of right. The European trailers are all made in Jackson Center, but have been specifically designed to meet the needs of European tow cars and EU compliance. The tongue weights are significantly lower than US models.

The lightweight galvanised steel chassis is German and does indeed have an overun hitch or 'surge breaks' with a built in anti-sway hitch device. The coupling is 50mm not 2 inch. The axle is more centrally located. A very different set up to the US models.

The manufacturer of the chassis, BPW, does not have any distribution in the US and therefore we are not allowed to sell units to customers who intend to use the trailers in North America (including Canada).

The wiring harness, wet central heating system, and a lot of the interior components and appliances are also sourced in Europe to assist with compliance.

Most of these Q&A's are covered in the FAQ section of FAQ < Airstreamer | Airstream Europe : FAQ, frequently asked questions, how, where, and what

For now these unique Airstreams are only available for use by Europeans experiencing the Airstream way of life officially for the first time.

Hope that all helps!
Stu
Stuart Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
"For now"

Does this mean Airstream will be introduicing them for the North American market soon? Given fuel costs and the desire by some of us to tow with vehicles other than huge trucks and SUV's, I sure hope that Jackson Centre is seriously considering this.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
The Sport series uses the narrower 7'6" Euro-sized body, the SMEV European-built appliances, and some of the same weight loss techniques. But the Sport line doesn't appear to be a strong seller so far.

Maybe we need a combination of International Edition decor, and high-tech European subsystems, rather than the current lighter & cheaper approach?

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
The European trailer are, in my opinion, quite attractive. I'd like to see them brought to the North American market (with the necessary electrical upgrades,etc). They could become a new Argosy line, appealing to a different segment of the market, without discontinuing the current models for those who want them.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #12
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
it's really the world with back...
you are lucky to buy the genuine Airstream and to use it your fabulous country and you want the European version.... and , here, in Europe , we want to tow the american airstream and not another one... it's really surprising.
Without wanting to frustate Stuart Hicks, I think and it's only my opinion, european people who wants to get an Airstream, wants to live the american airstream life in this american icon and not in an hybrid airstream with parts from germany and other european countries; i know it's necessary to import them in Europe but it's a sort of Coca-light in comparison with the real coke...
Certainly , it's a good solution in our old continent but you, you have better in your country... the grass is not greener in Europe.

Bruno
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Bruno, I respect what you're saying, but I think that Airstream needs to start looking at bringing these lighter, nicely designed trailers to the North American market. Just take a look at all the discussions about fuel prices and large tow vehicles. I contend that there is a market for a lighter trailer, towable by smaller vehicles. The European trailers address this need, as do the new Sport models to a certain degree. As I said, keep the other models for those who want them, but provide the European models for those who desire better fuel economy and the ability to use smaller tow vehicles.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
lighter but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Bruno, I respect what you're saying, but I think that Airstream needs to start looking at bringing these lighter, nicely designed trailers to the North American market. Just take a look at all the discussions about fuel prices and large tow vehicles. I contend that there is a market for a lighter trailer, towable by smaller vehicles. The European trailers address this need, as do the new Sport models to a certain degree. As I said, keep the other models for those who want them, but provide the European models for those who desire better fuel economy and the ability to use smaller tow vehicles.
Hi cameront120,
I agree with you on the way to get lighter trailers to do economy in consumption so where my opinion is a bit different from yours, is I prefer Airstream engineers, find a manner to build lighter caravans as the sport model, instead of beginning to change easily, all the characteristics that made Airstream, an icon, to be lighter.
The european Airstreams have smaller lenghts and widthes, very smaller tanks, small chassis, chimical toilet with cassette, etc ... why not replace the glass windows with plastic ( as other european caravan ), the aluminum riveted body with again plastic painted in argent color... and you'll get an european classic light caravan that you can see everywhere and have no taste... Hopefully the European Airtreams are not like that and the feeling is always present but , to reply to AirStrmFltRN, preferring and importing the overseas choice , when you have the genuine one at home; that is an error...

bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Not an error, just a difference in taste and/or need.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
the european unit is designed into the right direction, if you look at our enviromental changes concerning fuel economy and lighter towing cars/SUV/trucks. Fuel consumption is all we have to think about in the next years... seems like this in no point in france... Yes, the euro Airstreams are narrower (more like the old 60's trailers and I think the Argosys (not sure on that one!)), they have euro appliances, like cassete toilets (which can be converted to a blackwater tank toilet by an adapter, as long as they are from thetford), they have a hotwater heating system installed (which is way better then the old-fashioned hot-air system), they are light weight and have a low hitchweight and (yes!) a surge brake system, which works great over here... As on the argument of american icon... unless you take the frame from germany (which is way better than the old steelframe (for these units!)) everything else is american made/assembled... so where is the point???
I think the Euro Stream shows which way the future goes, not because it is european, but made for future markets... I would already have bought one, but they are way way way to expensive for me... So I'll stick with my 1971 Ambassador, I love him, but for travelling I would prefer a larger Euro Airstream... BTW, I heard of plans for a wider version, hope that one will come, as my win in the lottery :-)

CU

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #17
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
...Airstream needs to start looking at bringing these lighter, nicely designed trailers to the North American market...
at a 100,000$ for a 22 ft unit? no thanks.

they are doing this, and it is called the safari sport (now just safari) and so far has sold POORLY...

it's not just a matter of redoing the electrical, as stuart has pointed out and as the euro thread shows...

the FRAME company doesn't do business in the states.

the BRAKES are wire/cable and surge design, and there are NO vendors for the axles, hubs or brakes.

there is NO crapper plumbing. building a n.a. trailer WITHOUT holding tanks would be silly.

the ball is the WRONG size, the axle isn't ideally positioned for n.a. travel...

the hvac systems are different enough to not be ideal and imagine trying to get service on parts NO ONE stocks or repairs.

there are 20 or so of these issues that would need to be addressed.

and they HAVE DONE THAT ALREADY in the sport line..

having seen BOTH euro and safari sport in the flesh, the physical dimensions are virtually identical.

the interior of a sport could be tweaked to be MORE LIKE the euro...

but given how FEW they've sold in 2 years, retooling for such a small segment is silly.

IF they did, the next cry would be for LESS EXPENSIVE versions of those small, trendy, ultra urban, hightech units....

this really is JUST as bruno describes, wanting the greener grass, just OVER the fence (or rainbow)...

there are LOTS of light weight, less expensive, tow-with-a-car trailers...

a/s has not proven capable (OR interested) of competing in this segment,

the margins are VERY LOW and the customer base is different

their production facility is NOT geared for the volume needed to be profitable, and so on....

andyR has got another forum for many of these little guys, and the folks there seem friendly...

Molded Lightweight Fiberglass Travel Trailers

cheers
2air'

Old 09-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
As popular as the '63 Bambi is I don't know why Airstream just doesn't make it again, with updated appliances and a small grey water tank. That Bambi can be towed by small cars, has the advantages of the smaller fiberglass trailers, but has better head room.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
As popular as the '63 Bambi is I don't know why Airstream just doesn't make it again, with updated appliances and a small grey water tank. That Bambi can be towed by small cars, has the advantages of the smaller fiberglass trailers, but has better head room.

...and is way better looking than a fiberglas trailer...

good point!!

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
at a 100,000$ for a 22 ft unit? no thanks.

they are doing this, and it is called the safari sport (now just safari) and so far has sold POORLY...

it's not just a matter of redoing the electrical, as stuart has pointed out and as the euro thread shows...

the FRAME company doesn't do business in the states.

the BRAKES are wire/cable and surge design, and there are NO vendors for the axles, hubs or brakes.

there is NO crapper plumbing. building a n.a. trailer WITHOUT holding tanks would be silly.

the ball is the WRONG size, the axle isn't ideally positioned for n.a. travel...

the hvac systems are different enough to not be ideal and imagine trying to get service on parts NO ONE stocks or repairs.

there are 20 or so of these issues that would need to be addressed.

and they HAVE DONE THAT ALREADY in the sport line..

having seen BOTH euro and safari sport in the flesh, the physical dimensions are virtually identical.

the interior of a sport could be tweaked to be MORE LIKE the euro...

but given how FEW they've sold in 2 years, retooling for such a small segment is silly.

IF they did, the next cry would be for LESS EXPENSIVE versions of those small, trendy, ultra urban, hightech units....

this really is JUST as bruno describes, wanting the greener grass, just OVER the fence (or rainbow)...

there are LOTS of light weight, less expensive, tow-with-a-car trailers...

a/s has not proven capable (OR interested) of competing in this segment,

the margins are VERY LOW and the customer base is different

their production facility is NOT geared for the volume needed to be profitable, and so on....

andyR has got another forum for many of these little guys, and the folks there seem friendly...

Molded Lightweight Fiberglass Travel Trailers

cheers
2air'
Meh. Those aren't aluminum.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote