Old 04-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Doncaster , New Brunswick
Buy an airstream in the UK or export?

Hi, can anyone help? I am looking to buy an Airstream in the UK or perhaps import one over here can anyone help or make any suggestions.

kind Regards Glen

glen monks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Haven't done it myself, but have looked into it since I live part of the year in the UK. (Cambs)

Look through the past threads, talk to some of the UK members, make sure you understand all of the issues and ramifications of why some chose to import and why others chose to buy Euro models. There's also lots of talk about the process of what it took to import; I get the distinct impression that There Will Be Damage.

Among other things, remember that European market Airstreams are narrower and lighter and have different interior finishes. If you import a vintage unit, be sure you understand how you're going to have to get parts. Good luck!

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
There were some similar posts a few years ago. I found this one, but I think there are others that may provide more information. You may wish to do a more thorough search, when you have time:
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Having caught the aluminium bug over here in North America, I think that if were I to return to the UK then I'd look at buying a European model unit from within the UK. That way I'd have a trailer that would comply to the arcane Euro laws and be safe at the same time. Of course, many people see importing and converting a US model as the only way to go but it's not something I'd want to do when there is already a series of compatible Euro models available already.
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Hi Glen,

Check out - you'll find some interesting posts regarding importing vintage/newish from the US or purchasing a Euro model.

WK57ABF is offline   Reply With Quote