Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2005, 12:34 AM   #1
Addicted to Road Trips!

1953 21' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
1949 18' Trailwind
Broomfield , Colorado
Australia A/S's???

Does anyone know if there is an A/S group in Australia? Contacts??
Pearl54FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Australia Follow up!

Hi all-

Also have a follow up on Aussie AS's. Are there any? Are they widely available like here? Or are they the really rare birds there. Might get transfered there and SilverToy will not fit into those rediculously small boxes they have, so trying to think of alternate ways to feed the addiction should we go there.

Hoping for HUGE hits of the above questions..... Did I hear something?? A hit maybe?

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:42 AM   #3
Addicted to Road Trips!

1953 21' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
1949 18' Trailwind
Broomfield , Colorado
Australia A/S's

Hi Axle,

I have a friend in the Outback who has a mini-campground on his 100,000 acre property and he reports that he's never seen an Airstream in New South Wales. I'm looking into shipping me, the truck and trailer over at the same time and if that's even possible. I do not want my 54 Flying Cloud traveling without me with her!!!! He's says most RV's are high tech truck type campers with big tires to go thru the bush. I too am anxious to hear from anyone in Australia about Airstream's!

Patti
Pearl54FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
st micheals , worcestershire
australian airtreaming

hi .... you must have read my mind .. my friend and i ( he s in south australia and im in the uk ) are about to begin importing and renovating airstreams and then selling on , starting a rental and camp site in australia ....
we have so far found many reasons to give up not least quantine , tax , distance and a general australian made pride , things are moving slowly but steadly at the moment and as they are an unknown quantity at the moment we are not even sure it will work but we are determined to give it a try .
we are also looking at helping others who have found what they want to get it here for a reasonable fee , we will also under take any renovation jobs that people need .. to be done in oz as all trailers need to pass state regultions before you can use them on the roads .... you definatly cannot just pick it up at the docks and drive of into the sunset ... first thing we asked .
we will hope to be trading in 2008 , i know it sounds a long way of but if we dont get everything right there is every possibity cutoms will just inpound everything so we felt the best thing to do was get every scrape of info first then do a single import ( i will report here as to how that goes , shipping quotes made me cry cost more than a good vintage 26 ft overlander ) then we will iron out the edges and bgin in ernest in mid 2008 . if i can help anyone please conact me .
puppybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Bardon , Queensland
I know this topic is a little stale. The last post was in 2008, but I figured I'd weigh in in case anyone is watching.

In short, Airstreams are as rare as hens teeth over here in Australia.

I've just bought one and I'm importing it over the next month so I'm doing my bit to help change the situation - in a small way : )

Most of the trailers (called caravans here) are the most awful looking white painted boxes you have ever seen. No style, yellow vinyl swooshing decals down the side. Horrible, no class.

There are however some sweet little vintage ones modeled largely on European designs.

It is very rare to spot an Airstream over here but you can find them put into service as boutique food vans / coffee carts.

You can stay in a late model AS safari at the Atlantic Guest Houses in Byron Bay on the NSW north coast.

Follow my blog for details on my experience bringing one to Australia. Link in the signature below.

Matt.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
perth , west australia
Smile airstreams in australia

hi matt
just a quick reply about airstreams in australia
i have a 1984 310 air stream motorhome here in perth west australia
i imported the unit from the usa about 15 months ago & have slowly been bringing her back to a good working order.the motorhome passed rego in january of this year & we have just come back from our first big trip.
we traveled to kalgoorlie for a motorhome rally.there were about 700 m/h
at the rally but only 2 airstreams.a good friend of mine has the other m/h
it is a 1984 270 model.
both units still remain left hand drive & have no problems with licencing
in west australia
we created a bit of interest at the rally but all comments were good
cheers mick
mick32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
pinkenba , QLD
I am now importing them ... first one on the way .... am converting them to Australian Compliance (door, 240v, 12v, coupling, gas, brakes, appliances etc). Australia got tuffer in compliance, hence now impossible to legally drive a caravan in Aus with the door on the right side !! but nothing has stopped Erik !
ewaegeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Here's a company selling used Airstreams in Australia:
Used Airstream caravans for sale, buy sell second hand Airstream caravans Australia - caravancampingsales.com.au
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmorphett View Post
I know this topic is a little stale. The last post was in 2008, but I figured I'd weigh in in case anyone is watching.

In short, Airstreams are as rare as hens teeth over here in Australia.

I've just bought one and I'm importing it over the next month so I'm doing my bit to help change the situation - in a small way : )

Most of the trailers (called caravans here) are the most awful looking white painted boxes you have ever seen. No style, yellow vinyl swooshing decals down the side. Horrible, no class.

There are however some sweet little vintage ones modeled largely on European designs.

It is very rare to spot an Airstream over here but you can find them put into service as boutique food vans / coffee carts.

You can stay in a late model AS safari at the Atlantic Guest Houses in Byron Bay on the NSW north coast.

Follow my blog for details on my experience bringing one to Australia. Link in the signature below.

Matt.
Following your blog, Matt. Looking forward to hearing all about your AS adventures!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewaegeman View Post
I am now importing them ... first one on the way .... am converting them to Australian Compliance (door, 240v, 12v, coupling, gas, brakes, appliances etc). Australia got tuffer in compliance, hence now impossible to legally drive a caravan in Aus with the door on the right side !! but nothing has stopped Erik ! Anyone interested ? Taking orders now .... :-)
Do you have a website? Would love to do a post about your new business!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
pinkenba , QLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Do you have a website? Would love to do a post about your new business!
Thanks Anna,
No website yet, but will be soon .... Will let you know. Thanks.
Erik
Old 04-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
I am now importing them ... first one on the way .... am converting them to Australian Compliance (door, 240v, 12v, coupling, gas, brakes, appliances etc). Australia got tuffer in compliance, hence now impossible to legally drive a caravan in Aus with the door on the right side !! but nothing has stopped Erik ! Anyone interested ? Taking orders now .... :-)
Hi, are you importing trailers or motorhomes? Can you give some more detail about what is needed as far as conversions? Thanks!
ccbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
pinkenba , QLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbrand View Post
Hi, are you importing trailers or motorhomes? Can you give some more detail about what is needed as far as conversions? Thanks!
Hoi,

Yes there is a fair bit of work involved .... I am importing them now ... the first one on its way. We do half the work in the US, half of it here.
There are 2 sorts of conversions ...
if it is to put on a block of land, looking at possibly : 240 volt conversion (wiring/appliances/power points/lights, airco, water heater,fridge) and gas pipes, regulator and connections
If its for registration , the above + possibly : axles, door, brake system , coupling, 12 volt connections
Are you the one that has the airstream for sale in WA ?
Good luck.
Erik
Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Hi, thanks so much for the info - very helpful! I am looking at buying one. I saw the one advertised in WA, too bad for me it's not what I'm looking for.
Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #15
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick32 View Post
hi matt
just a quick reply about airstreams in australia
i have a 1984 310 air stream motorhome here in perth west australia
i imported the unit from the usa about 15 months ago & have slowly been bringing her back to a good working order.the motorhome passed rego in january of this year & we have just come back from our first big trip.
we traveled to kalgoorlie for a motorhome rally.there were about 700 m/h
at the rally but only 2 airstreams.a good friend of mine has the other m/h
it is a 1984 270 model.
both units still remain left hand drive & have no problems with licencing
in west australia
we created a bit of interest at the rally but all comments were good
cheers mick
This is so helpful, thank you! I was trying to get an answer from DOT about whether or not having the door on the right hand side would keep me from being able to register my caravan when it gets here. From what you say, it's all good...what a relief!
Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
perth , west australia
Smile airstreams in austrailia

hi
in reply to your post about doors on caravans the dot have a cut off on
the year that the caravan was built.
in western austrailia the cut of was in 1998 i think.
if you require the exact date then i can dig out the paperwork & advize on
a later post
cheers
mick32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:10 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
pinkenba , QLD
Well good to hear there are some more airstreams in ozzie ... We can start a club soon ....
When i inquired for australian compliance ... And if you do your research on the government websites (vsb10) it clearly states that caravans need to have a door on the left hand side .... I know for sure it doesnt pass in nsw or qld ... As someone got caught with a fifthwheeler. I dont know about wa , but they told me its australia wide ..... So i am not sure, only goes on what they tell me .... They also told me that if someone gives you a blueslip to pass ... It might be right for registration, but its still illegal and if cops stop you, they might take the vehicle of the road, and whoever signed the compliance, could be in breach ....
Now besides that .... I still think it is more practical to have the door moved, esp in caravan parks, the door on the wrong side restrict you sometimes ... And i found this a problem (been travelling around australia for 10 years now!!) a lot of times.

I am still promoting the door being moved, because of legal issues, practicality and also, its not hat hard and not soo much work !!!
Well thats my opinion anyway ..... For what its worth ... Everyone has heir own, and thats good !
But i love the airstream ..... They are nice arent they?
Erik
Old 04-19-2012, 02:26 AM   #18
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick32 View Post
hi
in reply to your post about doors on caravans the dot have a cut off on
the year that the caravan was built.
in western austrailia the cut of was in 1998 i think.
if you require the exact date then i can dig out the paperwork & advize on
a later post
cheers
That would be brilliant! Thank you!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
pinkenba , QLD
Sorry VSB01 ... not VSB10
It states :
22 GENERAL CARAVANS REQUIRMENTS
22.1 Doors
A caravan or trailer equipped with cooking facilities or living or sleeping accommodation must have only outward opening or sliding doors. At least one such door must be located on the left-hand side or at the rear.
22.2 LPG Installation
The local state or territory registering authority should be consulted for acceptability of LPG installations requirements. In cases where the local state and territory does not mandate a minimum requirement. Then Manufacturers are required to comply with Australian Standard AS 5601-2004 ‘Gas installations’.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #20
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
Well good to hear there are some more airstreams in ozzie ... We can start a club soon ....
When i inquired for australian compliance ... And if you do your research on the government websites (vsb10) it clearly states that caravans need to have a door on the left hand side .... I know for sure it doesnt pass in nsw or qld ... As someone got caught with a fifthwheeler. I dont know about wa , but they told me its australia wide ..... So i am not sure, only goes on what they tell me .... They also told me that if someone gives you a blueslip to pass ... It might be right for registration, but its still illegal and if cops stop you, they might take the vehicle of the road, and whoever signed the compliance, could be in breach ....
Now besides that .... I still think it is more practical to have the door moved, esp in caravan parks, the door on the wrong side restrict you sometimes ... And i found this a problem (been travelling around australia for 10 years now!!) a lot of times.

I am still promoting the door being moved, because of legal issues, practicality and also, its not hat hard and not soo much work !!!
Well thats my opinion anyway ..... For what its worth ... Everyone has heir own, and thats good !
But i love the airstream ..... They are nice arent they?
Erik
I have to say I agree with you on moving the door. For practical reasons if nothing else. Also, I don't want to give the insurance company any reason not to pay out on a claim - and I just know they will seize on the non-standard door as a reason

Now, who's going to start the Australian Airstream Club?