Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming

Old 12-31-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1987 29' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Smile Airstream camping & traveling in Canada's Atlantic Provinces

What are some things to consider in planning a trip from the US into Canada, particularly visiting the Atlantic Provences of Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland Labrador, New Brunswick islands?

Camping set ups, road conditions, elevations, speed limits, fuel, etc advice appreciated. Would it be wise to base camp the AS in the US and take day or overnight trips by truck to explore those islands?

☘ 369goose

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page. St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Plan ahead. Depends on the time of year you are going as most Provincial campsites in the Maritimes don't open until June.
By all means take your unit to the Islands. You won't do them justice with only a day.
We spent 2 weeks on PEI and 3 on Newfoundland and could easily have doubled our stays without seeing it all.
Fabulous country and great people.

gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Planning a trip to and camping around Atlantic Canada is the same as , say, planing a trip to and camping around Apalachicola. I do both, sometimes twice a year, and really can't tell the difference, except fuel in Canada is a lot more expensive, but with the exchange rate these days, the total cost will be a bargain for you. Check out SilverEagle6's posts from last summer for a really excellent trip description. I think the distances may be more than you are currently imagining but Atlantic Canada is a lot of fun if you have plenty of time. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Jim Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Canada is crazy different than the US, tread carefully (especially in those Atlantic provinces)

Just go, expect gas to be more expensive, however the CAD$ is down so it wont be too crazy.
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
The other is use of cell phone on US carriers. Might want to check that out.
2006 Bambi CCD ("EireStream!!")
2010 Funfinder
2005 T@B
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1987 29' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Airstream camping & traveling in Canada's Atlantic Provinces

I should've mentioned we are hoping to do this trip late May - September but not sure yet how many weeks to plan for in Canada as we will be on extended trip from FL.

☘ 369goose

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page. St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:21 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
On cell usage, both tmobile and verizon have good roaming rates in Canada now that grant you the same as you have in the US (tmobile free, verizon $2US/day). You may need to update your account to get it, but be careful, if you have certain grandfathered accounts you probably don't want to change them. You can get sim cards with Canadian carriers, and Rogers actually has good pricing compared to current plans in the US. Rogers will have the best coverage in general, but I'm not sure about the atlantic provinces.

I actually just compared pricing on their largest data packages earlier today and tweeted: Data in Canada is cheap these days. Monthly+Roaming in USD: Rogers 60GB $265+$36, Verizon 60GB $450+$60, ATT 50GB $375+$0(very limited roaming, only mexico).

TMobile's "unlimited" is actually limited to 23GB LTE speeds, so it doesn't necessarily compare well, but IIRC it doesn't cost anything to roam in Canada/Mexico.
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Just don't have ANY fruits or vegetables when you return to the US.
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2012 Dodge Durango Hemi/AWD
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Maybe it goes without saying - or maybe it is the "Elephant in the thread" and I certainly don't want to be the one to yet again raise a contentious subject and debate that goes nowhere(!), but if you normally carry a hand gun on your RV trips, it would be wise to leave it at home this time, as laws are quite a bit different in that respect here!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have really liked our trips to Canada. The ferry to Newfoundland is a big thing to plan around. You need reservations for day and time going both ways. At about $500 to $600 depending upon length it is also an expense. Golden Horn campground near N. Sydney is a very good campground to await the ferry and a good place to do the Cape Britton trail and the fort at Louisberg from. There is a great campground at St Johns, N&L. Pippy point, I think, that is good for exploring that end of Newfoundland. If you want to go into Labrador you need to plan carefully for that ferry and how to get to it. Our caravan people took day trips across or got a room.
We spent a week at the national park on the beach in the north part of PEI. Nice place to tour from also. I have to remind myself not to have a firearm of any kind in the trailer or truck when we leave with the possibility of going into Canada.
Fore me, border crossings are generally a pain and I would plan on crossing the border as few times as possible. I would also look at the medical insurance situation. I have bought insurance for any long trips into Canada. Have been luck and not used it. But medical is a different culture there than in the States.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:35 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
Traveling to any place in Canada not just the maritimes should not be different than traveling in the US. A few things to consider:

- make sure to visit both US and Canadian border agency web site to know what you can take into Canada and what you can bring back in the US.

-look into your cellphone plan as roaming charges can add up quickly

- distances and speed limits are in kilometer and not miles, so a maximum speed limit of 100 km/h translate to roughly 62 m/h. If you have a gps you can possibly have it display in either units. I know that when I travel in the US I leave mine in kilometer because I find it easier.

- language should not be an issue even if you would decide to visit the province of Quebec. We have a good percentage of people who have french as their first language but most of them can also speak English. Not coming to Quebec because you do not speak french would be like me not visiting Texas or Florida because I do not speak Spanish and I have visited both

- the price of gas ( and booze )will be the biggest shock . Gas in sold in liter and not gallons so if you want to compare price you need to convert those liters in US gallons and the CDN $ in US $. Right now in Montreal the current price would translate to roughly $2.90 US per gallon

-if you want to go to Newfoundland check into the price of the ferry, it is not cheap. Also you need to pay to get on the bridge to P.E.I. Neither would stop me from taking that trip but you just need to budget for it.
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #12
2005 28' International CCD
Biscayne Park , Florida
Also make sure noone in your crew have had a DUI within the past twenty years! We were turned back at Niagara on our way to Alaska three years ago for a DUI in 2001! This is relatively new; our trips to Canadian Atlantic previously were great with excellent campgrounds.
mrawson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Oak Ridge , North Carolina
check out the Viking Caravan iteniary (sp?) online.. Lot of good information.
damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mattituck , New York
We did five weeks up there this past summer. It can still be frosty in June. Roads sometimes are not the best (pot holes) watch out for moose. Camping is good with many full hookups, or dump stations. Money exchange is good check for a charge card with no foreign transaction fees. There is a COSTCO in Halifax and Newfoundland (gas). Things are pretty well marked. Take the A S to Labrador for a couple of days the ferry is relatively inexpensive. Camp site on the beach, dry. Insect repellent is important. The Cabot trail is a gem, don't miss any of it. Get a National Park Pass it's worth it. New Brunswick can be less than a day from LL Bean. You have to pay a toll or ferry only on leaving PEI no charge going. Exchange fee at bank is fixed per transaction not amount.
You will love all of it and hate to leave.

darsea is offline   Reply With Quote