Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #101
1 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Beaumont , Texas
the yellow thing is a Aluminum Air Tank that may have been converted at some time. I have one like this and one that is 1/4 that size. I have been told that they were used on everything from B-52 's to old cargo trucks. I am not sure what they actually came from, but I have seen them used as portable air tanks, Gas tanks, Air brake and air bag tanks. And now a hot water heater tank. Which seems pretty strange since the aluminum would tend to wick the heat out of the water and into the trailer. But who knows.

Nice trailer.
bg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
And finally, here are a couple middle interior photo's, including one of a the stangest Water Heater I have ever seen under the front dinette seat. It appears to be a 110VAC electric only model and is shaped like a scuba tank. It and the electric air pump to pressurize the water system were also added in the 1970's, I assume.

Also attached are some photo's of the extra parts I picked up along the return trip in New York and Pennsylvania to aid me in the restoration. Among the bigger pickups was the stove, drawers, and countertop from a 1956 Safari, and the toilet from a 1962 Overlander. I also got a lot of micellaneous smaller parts, knobs and light fixtures, etc.
BrandonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:43 AM   #102
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Elevator bolts... the topic of many HOT debates over the years....

When restoring something it has always been the rule to put it back as it was. I always thought elevator bolts were the way to go. I am currently working on a 1973 Safari. The entire thing was screwed down using #14 self drillers. The perimeter was bolted to the out riggers using elevator bolts. Which would you think worked best? The self drillers hands down. Not one single screw has popped. Not one single screw pulled though. Not one single screw rusted away or even rusted for that matter. On the other hand more than half the elevator bolts were seriously compromised. Many broke off years ago. Many were pulled though. They were all rusted very badly. I have serious questions as to their claim to be the right thing to use.

Joe, the only criticism of the screws I have is you might have used too many.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #103
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
I think we've decided that another AS is in order; we're trying to choose between an Overlander or a Safari (kinda leaning towards the Safari)

Any thoughts?

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #104
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Elevator bolts... the topic of many HOT debates over the years....

When restoring something it has always been the rule to put it back as it was. I always thought elevator bolts were the way to go. I am currently working on a 1973 Safari. The entire thing was screwed down using #14 self drillers. The perimeter was bolted to the out riggers using elevator bolts. Which would you think worked best? The self drillers hands down. Not one single screw has popped. Not one single screw pulled though. Not one single screw rusted away or even rusted for that matter. On the other hand more than half the elevator bolts were seriously compromised. Many broke off years ago. Many were pulled though. They were all rusted very badly. I have serious questions as to their claim to be the right thing to use.

Joe, the only criticism of the screws I have is you might have used too many.
I am not trying to defend the elevator bolt, or say you are wrong Frank, I would never, but, the channel between the skins is where most water that tends to seep in collects or water off the runs under. To compare the outer channel to the inner floor is not apples to apples.

Also as the trailer as a whole moves and rotates I would think that the stresses are greatest on the outside which is being held down by our friends the elevator bolts.

I would, what ever you use, use more on the channels where they meet the outriggers and in between and space them close, the closer you get along the outriggers to the wall. That is where they are going to fail first.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #105
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039 View Post
I am not trying to defend the elevator bolt, or say you are wrong Frank, I would never, but, the channel between the skins is where most water that tends to seep in collects or water off the runs under. To compare the outer channel to the inner floor is not apples to apples.

Also as the trailer as a whole moves and rotates I would think that the stresses are greatest on the outside which is being held down by our friends the elevator bolts.

I would, what ever you use, use more on the channels where they meet the outriggers and in between and space them close, the closer you get along the outriggers to the wall. That is where they are going to fail first.
I am merely making an observation on what I found.... When attacking any restoration job, my approach is to put it back exactly as it was originally.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #106
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Just purchased a 55 safari,thanks for taking the time to well document your restoration.
One interesting note, mine also came with the strange yellow water heater, is it possible that was original? If not a pretty big coincidence.

Kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Long Time No Update
Things are finally moving with the Safari again. I have finally been convinced to replace the damaged exterior panels. (Yeah says the masses).

I am getting ready to pull the trailer to Shacksman's place next weekend to replace the lower panels on the entire front, entire streetside, and curbside rear corner. We will also redo the belly pan. We'll pull the front inner endcap so that we can massage the upper dents, but those panels will not be replaced. It will be a lot of work, but it's good to get going again.

To get ready for the trip, I had to get the safety chains and tail lights hooked up. That was today's tasks.

Anyway, this progress reminded me that my photo story is a little behind. I will get everything caught up in the next few posts.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
3/21/2010 Progress:
This was the second day working the last weekend before the trailer had to be out of the shop. My freind Dave came back to help me secure the front and rear of the shell to the frame and put in the last of the floor screws. We then tacked up the belly wraps and realized that they were going to need to be replaced. We' couldn't install the tires, because one of the saw horses was in the way. Bob noted that he'd get the saw horse moved, wheels installed, and trailer on the ground by the next weekend.

The photos are:
1. Dave bolting down the front of the shell.
2. Floor and shell attachment complete (yeah)
3. Dave and I securing belly wraps
4. Bob pondering moving the saw horse so we could install the wheels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave Bolting Down Front of Shell.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	113849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor and Shell Attachment Complete.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	113850  

Name:	Dave and I Secruing Belly Wraps.JPG
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	113851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob Ponders Wheel Installation.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	113852  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 10-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
3/27/2010 Progress:
This was the day the trailer finally came out of the shop and went to it's new home in the storage yard. I considered trying to hook up the trailer tail lights, but decided to just rig up some temporary lights instead due to limited time and tools.

Photos are:
1. The shop is empty after the Safari was pulled out
2. Safari out of shop with temporary lights
3. Owner (me) and the Safari in the daylight
4. Safari in the storage yard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Empty Shop.JPG
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	113853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Out of the Shop!.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	113854  

Name:	Owner and Safari!.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	113855   Click image for larger version

Name:	In the Storage Yard.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	113856  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 10-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Today's Progress (10/23/2010):
I pulled the Safari down to a local place and got hoops welded on so that I could attach some new safety chains. I then pulled the trailer home to undo the temporary lights and hook up the actual trailer lights. I then one by one removed the screws I had used to attach the shell to the floor in the corners and replaced them with shorter screws. I needed to do this, because the screws I originally bought we too long and the poked through the corner belly wraps which fit pretty tightly to the floor. This was not a big deal because the wraps had to be replaced anyway, but shorter screws were needed to keep them from poking through the new corner belly wraps. I did not need to replace the screws along the side, however, because there is enough depth in that area.

All of this in preparation for a 2 or 3 hour long tow next weekend to replace some exterior skin panels. I may do a few more things tomorrow. It feels good to have this project moving again!

The photos are:
1. Chain hoops and chains installed
2. Umbilical cord temporarily secured to the tongue (will redo more permanently later)
3. Umbilical cord wire nutted to trailer wiring (will redo more permanently later)
4. Trailer lights working (temporary lights then came off)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Chains Attached.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	113857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Umbilical Cord.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	113858  

Name:	Wire Nut Connection.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	113859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights Working.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	113860  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
More Progress Today
It may not seem like much, but the couple of hours I planned today to remove the front and rear beltline modings dragged out to over four hours and Lorrie and I only got the front and rear street side moldings off.

Getting that much done took lots of Kroil penetrating oil, as well as lots of persuasion from vice grips, screwdrivers, and a hammer. A few screws were able to be turned from the outside, but most required turning by gripping the threads with vice grips from the inside. A few broke the head off the first time they were touched by a screw driver. A few broke the shank off the screw when grabbed by the vice grips. The two moldings removed were held on by original stainless screws.

The one molding I didn't get off was on the corner that previously had a panel replaced. The screw heads are rusty suggesting they are not stainless. Most of these broke immediately when I tried to grab them with vise grips from the inside. Arrgghhh.

Everything takes longer than expected when working on an Airstream. Well, almost everything. We also took the outside faucet off the front street side corner (no photo). That only took a few minutes and was one of the few things so far that has been as easy as it was expected to be.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front Molding Off.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	113954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Streetside Rear Molding Off.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	113955  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 10-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Nice progress Joe, glad your back on it!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
10/30/2010 Progress:
Last Saturday, I pulled the Safari to Shacksman's place to begin the skin and belly pan replacement.

Once the trailer was in the garage, we began by removing the rear curb side beltline molding. All it took was more Kroil and a bigger hammer banging harder on screwdriver to loosen the screws. Then we drilled out the rivets and removed the rear curbside corner panel and belly wrap corner. Interestingly, that damaged corner skin panel that we removed (and which had been replaced once before) was .050 thick, not the typical .032.

We then traced the old skin panel onto a new .032 2024-T3 panel and cut it out, but didn't drill the rivet holes, because they could be drilled on the trailer using the existing panels that overlay this panel as templates. We also used the old belly corner as a pattern to cut a new one out of the .032 6061-T6 I purchased a few months ago.

We installed the belly plan corner, only needing to make minor adjustments and then used a few pop rivets to hold it in place. We then taped the side of the new corner panel so that it wouldn't get scratched up during installation and slid it into place so that we could drill the rivets holes, clecoeing it into place as we went. We then removed the panel to clean up the aluminum shavings and coat the seams liberally with Vulkem. Finally, we reinstalled the panel, clecoed it into place than then carefully buck riveted it. Around the rear window and the rear storage compartment we had a tough time getting the bucking bar to the back or the rivets, so a few olympic rivets were used in those locations.

The attached photos are:
1. The Safari in the garage
2. Doug drilling out rivets
3. Rear curb side corner panel and belly off
4. Tracing the old skin onto the new skin before cutting it out
5. Drilling and clecoeing the new skin on the trailer
6. Vulkem applied before final permanent install of the corner panel
7. Rear curb side corner panel bucked into place
8. Comparison of new and old bucked rivets (the gold color will easily polish off the new buck rivets)

I will provide further updates on the progress we made last Sunday and Monday in subsequent posts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Backing into Garage.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	114708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Doug Drilling Rivets.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	114709  

Name:	Rear Curb Side Skin & Belly Off.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	114710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tracing Old Skin onto New.JPG
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	114711  

Name:	Drilling and Clecoing the New Panel.JPG
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	114712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vulkem Before Final Install.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	114713  

Name:	Panel Bucked in Place.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	114714   Click image for larger version

Name:	New and Old Bucked Rivets.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	114715  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 11-07-2010, 01:34 AM   #114
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Society Hill , South Carolina
Great job Joe! Makes me think I can do good work too.
Martin1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Great work! It's coming together nicely. Feels so good to have that nice new metal in place doesn't it!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow! Great job Joe! Also looks like you got a new tow vehicle?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Thanks for the comments everyone! More progress coming next post.

Everything with panel replacement seems intimidating . . . that is until you've done it. Then it is not so bad, just time consuming to do it right.

As for the tow vehicle, no we haven't changed. I just got a chance to try out a vehicle from work for a few days. We still LOVE the Hummer H2 as our primary tow vehicle and at less than 50,000 miles, it's got a lot of life left in it.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 11-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
10/31/2010 Progress:
Sunday was another big work day last weekend. We started by removing the lower street side panel below the bank of windows. That alone took three hours for the two of us to drill out the rivets. When we removed this panel, a bunch of shims fell on the floor. It appears that the factory built up the width of one of the ribs to get a smooth side panel using several (8 - 10) pieces of overlapping aluminum. These shims were only held in place by the skin rivets. We decided we'll have to put them back when that panel goes back on to get a smooth fit. I think we'll need to tape them in place before we buck the rivets.

Next we removed the side belly wraps and the rear street side corner belly wrap. We made and installed (no photo) a new corner belly wrap. During this time I also scraped and painted the rusty edge of the wheel well liner.

At this point, we wondered what to do next and decided that we should remove and replace front skin before we install the side skin, since otherwise it would have to be tucked under the new side skin. Given that it was getting late and we didn't want to drill out hundreds of more rivets, we decided to remove the front inner end cap with our remaining time, so that we could eventually work the dents out of the outer end cap skin from the inside.

To do this, we needed to remove the front curb side corner kitchen roof locker and then drill out a few pop rivets, including several hidden ones under other panels. Since I was not planning to remove the main inner roof skins, nor the street side rook lockers, some of the hidden rivets weren't actually drilled out. Instead we just sheared the head off with a hammer and chisel.

Once the front inner end cap was removed, we removed the remaining insulation (which included many mouse nests and chewed wiring) and called it a night.

The photos are:
1. Starting the day
2. Removing the street side panel
3. Shims!
4. Side panel off
5. Side belly wraps off
6. Rear street side corner belly wrap off
7. New corner belly wrap and painted wheel well liner
8. Kitchen roof locker removed
9. Front inner end cap removed
10. Front insulation removed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Starting the Day.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	114793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Removing the Side Panel.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	114794  

Name:	Original Shims on Rib.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	114795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side Panel Off.JPG
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	114796  

Name:	Side Belly Wraps Off.JPG
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	114797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corner Belly Wrap Off.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	114798  

Name:	New Corner Belly Wrap and Wheel Well Painted.JPG
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	114799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Roof Locker Removed.JPG
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	114800  

Name:	Front Inner End Cap Removed.JPG
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	114801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Insulation Removed.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	114802  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 11-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #119
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Joe, impressive work! I note in post 109 that you have your coach raised considerably off the floor (so you can work underneath without having to lie on your back). Would you please describe (1) what you are using to support the weight of the coach and (2) how you raised the coach to the height of your supports? I need to start work under my coach this coming summer, and I would like to do something like you have done. Many thanks, Hank.
RankAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlairf View Post
Joe, impressive work! I note in post 109 that you have your coach raised considerably off the floor (so you can work underneath without having to lie on your back). Would you please describe (1) what you are using to support the weight of the coach and (2) how you raised the coach to the height of your supports? I need to start work under my coach this coming summer, and I would like to do something like you have done. Many thanks, Hank.
Thanks for the kind words!

The steel saw horses in post #109 belonged to the welder that repaired the frame. He used a fork lift to somehow get the trailer up on them and down off them. I wasn't there either time, so I don't know how he did it. And that is probably just as well, because I'd have been a wreck watching.

That extra height would help with the belly pan replacement, but we are getting it done now with the tires on the ground and the frame supported in the middle and on the ends with blocks of wood and jack stands. The extra height was more important for the welding repairs, I think.

I have one more day's worth of photos to post, but no time to do so this evening. Stay tuned the next day or so for more of the photo history.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768