Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #1

San Diego , California
Safari 19' vs Safari 22'

Hi All,

I would like to get some feedback from this forum on whether I should buy the Safari 19 or the Safari 22. All things being equal (price, condition, etc.), what are the pros and cons of these models. We're a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 young children) in Southern California. We're planning to do short trips "locally" in our region.

Does the extra 3 feet on the Safari 22 make a huge difference?

Also, on Airstream.com, it list that the Safari 22 sleeps 3 whereas the 19 sleeps 3-4. Is that correct?

Does the 2 axle make a significant difference?

The wet bath on the 22 vs the dry bath on the 19. What's your experience?

And finally, what do you think about the resale value in the future between these two in case I want to upgrade to a larger Airstream.

Thanks in advance.
Michael
michael165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Michael,

Here’s my opinion. I’m sure you’ll get lots more too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael165
Does the extra 3 feet on the Safari 22 make a huge difference?
We thought so and we are a family of two. We started looking at a 19’ and ended with a 23 just to get the extra space, but then we are planning on doing some long distance, extended travel.

Quote:
Also, on Airstream.com, it list that the Safari 22 sleeps 3 whereas the 19 sleeps 3-4. Is that correct?
Wouldn’t know about that because I own a 23. Maybe the dinette could sleep two small children, but only one adult.

Quote:
Does the 2 axle make a significant difference?
We thought so, because if you’re miles from nowhere, you could limp home on three wheels, but with only a single axle, your stuck if you don’t have a good spare.

Quote:
The wet bath on the 22 vs the dry bath on the 19. What's your experience?
We thought a long time about wet versus dry bath. The 23 has a dry bath. We had some recommendations for the wet bath based on how easy it is to clean, but the fact remains that everything gets wet when you shower. If someone has to use the toilet it has to be dried off, and if your shoes are dirty or dusty, mud starts forming on the floor if that’s not dried as well. We used a wet bath on a long distance rail trip several years ago, and it was messy.

Quote:
And finally, what do you think about the resale value in the future between these two in case I want to upgrade to a larger Airstream.
All well cared for Airstreams have a good resale value. Given that, it’s all based on the size and installed options.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your decision,

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You will not regret the extra 3 feet in length, and the two axles will help minimize any sway. The two axle trailer will also ride more smoothly, the single axle trailers tend to bounce a bit more.
The wet bath is both good and bad, depending on how you use it. Plusses are you can hose the whole thing out to clean it, and it takes up less living space for a place you will, with any luck, spend less than 2% of your camping life in.
Minusses are you have to make sure nothing that can't get wet is anywhere in the wet bath when bathing, and if you aren't careful you can wind up tracking a bunch of dirt in the bath area, and mud out, unless you put in say, an astroturf bath mat on the floor of the wet bath.
Only sleeping 3, if that is the case, would only be a problem if you have 4 persons needing a bed. In most trailers, the area for the 4th person is very tight anyway, so I don't know if you are losing that much.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #4

San Diego , California
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
San Diego (Carmel Valley/DelMar) , California
Hello Michael:

You live in my favorite city! We are a family of three (my husband and I, plus our twelve year old son. Last year, we purchased the 19' Bambi SE LS. We bought this size because I had never camped before and we were told that the resale value on these were a lot better than the larger trailers. Anyway, here we are this great little trailer that follows easily behind us like a well behaved puppy dog, especially through the traffic in LA on our way to SD! However, a new CCD 23' Signature came out recently which has a sofa, in addition to a dinette. (Have you seen it?) Although we love our 19', it is a bit of a pain to put down the dinette table for the bed each night. However, we liked the floorplan much better than the "Safari " 23' because we didn't really like the table that pulled out. As for the 22', I do not know too much about that model. ( It didn't do too much for me when I walked in it.) Don't quote me, but isn't the 22' being discontinued? As for wet bath versus dry bath, I would pick dry bath any day, hands down!< that's a biggie right there, in my opinion.
Anyway, if the 23' Signature International had been out last year, we would have chosen that over the 19' for the three of us. However, now that we have the 19', the 23' isn't that much larger, so we are looking at the 25' FB Signature (if we can pull ourselves away from the cute and compact Bambi). Anyway, that's my story. By the way, if you already know that you like camping and you are planning on upgrading in the " very near future" (and have a tow vehicle to accomodate the weight), I would consider looking at the 25', unless you don't mind turning around and paying sales tax again. We thought we were going to keep this trailer for at least three or more years, but my son grew a lot from last year and took up more space! However, your children are much younger...) Whatever you decide, have a great time camping with your family. Heck, if we would have ordered our 25' the other day instead of waiting for later this Fall or Winter, I would have shown you ours... Have fun camping with your family. and if you have the chance, look at the 23' Signature International. I think the extra room on this CCD floorplan really makes an added difference between the 19' and 23'.
sunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Hi, Michael,

Due to your last sentence in your original post, maybe you should start with a 25', either front bdrm or ss (six sleeper).

Might save some expensive trades in the future , or wishful thoughts.

Yes, I am speaking from experience.

Good luck!
Pat
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
There's two of us a big dog. We thought a 19 would be perfect so we got it.

We really love our new 25 FB. Comfy bed. roomy bath. Sleep four adults with room for the dog too.

The 19 was just too cramped. Go to a dealer and spend time in the trailers.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Michael165,

You'll thank yourself if you get the 22' Safari now. I assume that your tow vehicle can pull it.

I pondered this same decision 3 years ago and opted for a 22' CCD instead of a 19'. I'm glad I did. I have 2 kids. Like mine, your kids will get bigger and bigger. Consider a rainy day scenario when you're all be cooped up in the trailer. Just the extra "standing space" of the 22' will be a great advantage. We have a wet bath. It uses less space than a dry bath. It is easy to clean and the shower curtain drapes over the toilet so the shower doesn't get it wet. If the sleeping gets tight as the kids get older, the 22' will allow for a Wal-Mart scissor-style folding cot to be laid out in the floor. That's what we did with our teen-ager and there's still enough room to get to the bathroom.

Best wishes on your decision.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Doesn't matter what the model is there will have been some design compromises.

In the Bambi - one of the compromises is the 48" bed. We find it OK for weekends, can be tolerated for a week - but for a major road trip it can get mighty "tiring".

We've now taken to a rotating schedule that includes the dinette.

Our further plan (not yet achieved) is to add a bunk.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
Hi, Michael,

Due to your last sentence in your original post, maybe you should start with a 25', either front bdrm or ss (six sleeper).

Might save some expensive trades in the future , or wishful thoughts.

Yes, I am speaking from experience.

Good luck!
Pat
I agree with Pat...I see it all the time...if you have two small children now...they will not be so small in a few years...if you don't think you want a 25'...you might want to look at a 23' International..at least that way each child would have a sleeping area with the dinette and pull out sofa!

g

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
25 ft....

makes all the difference on a rainy day... you can go 4 season camping instead of just sunny (it doesn't rain in S. Ca.....) weather.

Our kids are now 7 and 11, they want to have friends come along too... which they can with this size trailer. The kids LOVE the trailer, and it's nice to have a section they can play "fort" or whatever with, with room for us to relax as well.

Cost wise, I'd look around at some used 25 ft trailers, I think you'll find them comproble in cost to the 19 and 22ft'rs new, maybe even cheaper. I love the 23 ft. Signiture model with pull out L section couch... sleeps six in a pinch, huge windows, just kind of out of my price range.

However, if you are used to tent camping, the 19 will feel familiar to you, and may just be what you are looking for.
Either way, welcome to the forums!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #12

San Diego , California
Thanks All!

All great responses and feedback. Keep it coming!
So far I really like this forum/community.

Obviously, I'm in the market for an Airstream so if someone out there has a newer one, please contact me.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:13 AM   #13
San Diegan

Vintage Kin Owner
San Diego , California
Greetings neighbor

I have a '05 19' Bambi Safari that suits me fine as long as two girls are willing to share a bed. The dry bath and overall weight are big plusses over the 22'. At 6'1" the bed is fine, but the toilet requires turning your left leg a bit. If you aren't near the dealer in Santee, you can come over to Kearny Mesa and check how you fit in a 19'.
Hope to see you in one soon either way you go. Very few Airstreams in the campgrounds around here. Only met one so far.
Tom
sandiegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
As far as the towing, I can say that when we went from a single axle to a dual axle, the pull became a lot smoother.

I have never had a flat while towing but if I was to have one, I would rather be towing a dual axle.

It is also important that the tow vehicle has an adequate tow rating capacity for what you will be towing.

You might also check the classifieds here on the forum. There are usually always some units for sale.

Welcome to the forums!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We had the same quandry over a 19' or 20' (it's just two of us). We liked the layout and bathroom of the 20' much better and so went with that. Add two kids you I think you'd want the 22'.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:02 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
After I made my original post, I remembereda nice couple that attended the Florida State Rally 2 years ago with a brand new 19' Bambi. The rally was their first camping experience with the trailer. After one night in it, they were looking at the then-new 20' Safari. I took them around to other people's coaches, and the new ones on display out front. When they left the rally, they left with a 22' SE, and were ecstatic.
I didn't ask why they wanted to trade up, one look at them limping out of the trailer in the morning was reason enough (they were both kind of tall).