Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Olympia , Washington
Poor A/S Rv Consumer Group Rating

We have been thinking that we would buy an Airstream trailer. We checked the RV ConsumerGroup ratings for 2006 - 2008 trailers. Only one or two out of ANY size/model was rated safe enough to tow. We were specifically thinking of a 25' Safari. I have not seen any posts that support this. Any input? This is really a disappontment.
burson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by burson View Post
Only one or two out of ANY size/model was rated safe enough to tow. We were specifically thinking of a 25' Safari.
Was this information on the web? If so how about a link.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
_

. , .
hi burson...

welcome to the forums and streams...

FIRST post and i am going to ASSUME the question is sincere...

and you are not TROLLLLLING...

you don't specify the exactly the 'group' doing the rating, but my guess is that it is the one man show covered in THIS thread...

see post #2...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...ngs-32358.html

or this thead, also post #2 (the links are useful TOO)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...sob-40883.html

here is a 5 year old string on this group too...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f293...ing-14210.html

NOW if your interest is 'safety' in general IN the 'streamer community,

THIS thread will give you LOTs of info and ideas (also post #2)...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/safety-41310.html

safety and safe are vague terms with SPECIFIC means that vary by person or perspective...

imo an 'streams TOW very nicely, are LESS subject to many of the forces that negatively affect towing boxes...

and the 'rating guy' is OFF TRACK, swaying and confusing the issues.

there may be MANY things that disappoint us (enthusiastic owners) about the streams and the mothership...

but towing stability/control generally isn't one of them.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
burson, welcome to the forums!

Took a look at that site. I question whether they had much of a sample size. Even large, longstanding forums like RV.Net RV and Camping Forum – RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information or http://www.irv2.com/ are pretty spare when it comes to any normal cross-section of Airstream owners.

Towing safety down the road? I strongly disagree -- especially considering SOBs on leaf spring axles have centers of gravity a foot or more higher than an Airstream. The systems for all RVs are pretty much identical. Safety systems like hitch, breakaway system, LP gas -- are fairly uniform across the industry. Workmanship is an issue separate from safety -- and I wouldn't put many manufacturers above low-to-middling.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
RV Consumer Group has spouted this for years. Basically they condemn all towables (not just Airstreams) as death traps with their central premise being that sway is inevitable and its only a matter of time before something terrible happens.

They also do not like the carrying capacity of Airstreams (empty weight vs max weight) and Airstreams only suffer in this category because mosts SOBS are built out of old orange crates and weigh a lot less empty. It is a silly argument because most folks do not need huge capacity...

They reserve their highest ratings for 5th wheels and high end mohos

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
They reserve their highest ratings for 5th wheels and high end mohos
Kind of make you wonder who sponsors that group?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I don't know what you are reading, but it sounds a little fishy to me. If an Airstream is not safe to tow, then none of the other brands are, with the possible exception of 10 foot teardrop camper.

I have towed a 2005 Airstream Safari 25FB over 50,000 miles in the last three years. I feel totally safe with this towing combination, even after having experienced three catastrophic tire failures.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Was this information on the web? If so how about a link.
This is purchased data from JD Gallant's RV Consumer Group www.rv.org
Old 10-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
hi burson...

welcome to the forums and streams...

FIRST post and i am going to ASSUME the question is sincere...

and you are not TROLLLLLING...

you don't specify the exactly the 'group' doing the rating, but my guess is that it is the one man show covered in THIS thread...

see post #2...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...ngs-32358.html

or this thead, also post #2 (the links are useful TOO)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...sob-40883.html

here is a 5 year old string on this group too...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f293...ing-14210.html

NOW if your interest is 'safety' in general IN the 'streamer community,

THIS thread will give you LOTs of info and ideas (also post #2)...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/safety-41310.html

safety and safe are vague terms with SPECIFIC means that vary by person or perspective...

imo an 'streams TOW very nicely, are LESS subject to many of the forces that negatively affect towing boxes...

and the 'rating guy' is OFF TRACK, swaying and confusing the issues.

there may be MANY things that disappoint us (enthusiastic owners) about the streams and the mothership...

but towing stability/control generally isn't one of them.

cheers
2air'
You are correct about my source and I do think the info is suspect. That's why I'm asking for help from the real world. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I've been behind a million trailers and Airstreams track steady-on. I am not a rep.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I don't know what you are reading, but it sounds a little fishy to me. If an Airstream is not safe to tow, then none of the other brands are, with the possible exception of 10 foot teardrop camper.

I have towed a 2005 Airstream Safari 25FB over 50,000 miles in the last three years. I feel totally safe with this towing combination, even after having experienced three catastrophic tire failures.

Brian
I hoped you would post - I saw that your trailer is like what we're considering. We have owned a small Terry TT(SOB? don't know what that stands for), a Class b Airstream and a 30' 5thwheel. We've never felt unsafe towing(just cumbersome) and have always been careful about weight and how we load. We have a 2004 F-350 Power Stroke Diesel, 1 ton, 4wd, CC for towing. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
..................... We have owned a small Terry TT(SOB? don't know what that stands for.
That Stumped me for quite a while. I finally figured out the most common definition is Some Other Brand. These forums need a acronym glossary.
Regards and Welcome,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
I hoped you would post - I saw that your trailer is like what we're considering. We have owned a small Terry TT(SOB? don't know what that stands for), a Class b Airstream and a 30' 5thwheel. We've never felt unsafe towing(just cumbersome) and have always been careful about weight and how we load. We have a 2004 F-350 Power Stroke Diesel, 1 ton, 4wd, CC for towing. Thanks for your input.
In addition to the 50,000 miles logged on Lucy, we have spent a little over 500 nights in her during the same three year period. Lucy's cross country adventures usually last eight weeks at a clip. The 25 footer is a real good size to tow and maneuver, and the front bedroom (FB) floor plan is very comfortable for the long trips. We tow Lucy with 3/4 ton Suburbans.

Your 1 ton Ford PSD tow vehicle is ample for any size travel trailer (TT).

SOB stands for some other brand, not an Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have towed Airstreams for almost 40 years and also have spent 11 years delivering SOB's to dealers.. In all that time I have never had a bad towing trailer, and everything we deliver is towed with out sway control since that is an aftermarket product.
A little common sense and a decent tow vehicle and there should be no problem.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Being a damn good driver is the way I see it.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I have towed Airstreams for almost 40 years and also have spent 11 years delivering SOB's to dealers.. In all that time I have never had a bad towing trailer, and everything we deliver is towed with out sway control since that is an aftermarket product.
A little common sense and a decent tow vehicle and there should be no problem.
Good comment Rick. burson, you will find us still recommending antisway & weight distribution gear regardless of tow vehicle. And my tow vehicle has rear axle GAWR that would easily bear my tongue weight. On a dirt road with loose edges I once had to take minor evasive action that resulted in our 25' Safari wanting to swing into the close-by Superior National Forest. I could feel our Reese HP Dual Cam hold it straight as if the tow vehicle & trailer were a single long vehicle. Time really slowed down during this observation as is common in such hairy moments. I respected good equipment all that much more! And the Dual Cam isn't even up to the exceptional stability provided by Pro-Pride or Hensley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Kind of make you wonder who sponsors that group?
It is hosted on the Portuguese island of Madeira, north of the Canary Islands off of Africa. Site ownership appears to be closely guarded.

Note post 13 here - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...ngs-32358.html -- well said Sergei!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
With a 1 ton vehicle, and proper hitch setup, you should be able to tow anything you want to. Of course if you are uneasy when towing, a driving course could help you hone your skills and improve your confidence.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
No amount of CDs or printed material should take the place of common sense.

I've exchanged emails with the R/V Consumer Group guy, and he admits Airstreams are very stable to tow, when using an adequate tow vehicle, and properly loaded, within design limits. His biggest beef seems to be that he feels the tongue weight and CCC of most Airstream trailers is not optimal, making it too easy to overload the tow vehicle or trailer.

My own experience is, unless you are going to haul anvils in your rear bedroom, the Airstream should be fine.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Sounds like a bunch of BS.

The simple fact is: you can’t ‘idiot proof’ a travel-trailer. There may be less catastrophic consequences for careless operation with smaller rigs- but even a Casita can be treacherous, and will take a negligent driver to task.

However, at the risk of sounding like an egocentric prick, I’d wager the percentage of properly equipped, and adequately maintained rigs on the road is much higher with Airstream owners than with SOB’s.

It simply the amount of effort it takes to own- or especially restore- an Airstream.

It’s like an average-joe, without any photographic interest, buying a Lomo. If they stumble into a camera shop that actually sells them, chances are the salesperson is going to give them at least a cursory education on the Lomo camera history, it’s qualities, proper use, etc...