Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
Airstream newbies

2006 25' Safari
Grand Haven , Michigan
Has anyone installed a Reese hitch bike rack?

Well this is my first post. Last yr. hubby & I decided to "upgrade" from our pop up to a trailer (after staying in national parks w/ bear rules) and I fell in love w/ Airstreams. Hubby asked if I could please like something less expensive. I tried but I was smitten. We ended up driving from MI to North Carolina for ours; slept in it on the way home in a cracker barrel parking lot. Anyway, question: we want to install our bike rack on the back of the airstream. Hubby would need to bolt/weld something to the frame underneath so that the hitch could then come out and up for the bike rack to slide into. The first time we camped last fall w/ it in a state park here there were Airstream people there. They asked if they could see inside ours. I thought that was so funny; no one ever asked to see inside my pop up . Anyway, this guy did give hubby some ideas for the bike rack as he had done it before but hubby is still hesitant. so I told him I'd ask around here for more input. When I have time one of these days I'll share a really funny story about our first camping experience. thanks for any input you can give.
RachelLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Airstream has a bike rack:
https://store.airstream.com/product_...roducts_id=623
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hello and welcome to Air Forums. You'll find lots of useful information here including information on bicycle racks of all types.

Use the search feature - I like advanced search because it allows you to place restrictions such as "title only" - you'll find several threads regarding bicycle racks. There are pros and cons about putting a rack on the rear of your trailer, the front of your trailer or on your tow vehicle.

I'm personally leaning toward putting the rack on the front of the trailer, above the propane tanks. To each his own...

See you down the road.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Hi RachelLynn, in a nutshell, mounting a bike rack in the way that Hubby suggested could contribute to a problem known as "rear end separation"...the Airstream approved bike rack mitigates that issue by attaching to the outer shell, as well as the frame.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Airstream newbies

2006 25' Safari
Grand Haven , Michigan
I neglected to mention that we already own the Yakima bike rack (that we absolutely love). My hubby & son had reinforced & welded a hitch receiver for it on our previous pop up camper (which went w/ it when sold). So he was looking to do the same on the Airstream. Hopefully I'm explaining it alittle better. . . but then maybe there would be a weight issue on the back like that?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
It is generally considered a no-no as it can cause frame separation on the Airstream. If you search for bike rack a lot of threads on the subject will come up. Here's one:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...per-67233.html

The Airstream-approved bike rack, however, is a yes-yes...
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
I tow with a 2009 Chevy crew cab 2wd. This unit provides a lot of cargo area in the rear seat compartment (seats folded-up) which frees-up space in the truck bed. I solved the bike carrier issue by building a very simple wooden bar that mounts in the corner holes on the bed rails. To this bar I added bike spindles to mount the bikes (without front tires) and use straps or bungie cords to secure the rear of the bike. With the bikes in the bed of the truck I still have room for wheel chocks, leveling blocks, small grills charcoal briquets and even a large sewage tote. We recently returned from a months trip (2,000 towing miles) and it worked without any problems at all. If you think this might work for you let me know and I will provide photos. I have less than $50.00 in the unit including the cost of paint.
Good luck with your research and
Happy Streamin'!

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
Airstream newbies

2006 25' Safari
Grand Haven , Michigan
Thanks everyone for the links. They are so helpful. Looks like we'll be just keeping the bikes inside the A/S. In the past we've laid the table down, put an old blanket on it and the two bikes on there. After reading all the input about dirty bikes on the outside, frame separation . . . . inside seems like alot less work.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
RachelLynn,

When I first got my AS, I was really perplexed on how I was going to travel with two bikes. My TV is an SUV, so I couldn't put them in the car and I had read that adding a hitch to the back of the AS was a major no-no.

After a bit of thinking, I came up with the following:
I added two locking fork mounts under my cushions at the kitchen table. I break the table down into sleep mode and put the cushions on the bed when I needs to have the bikes mounted for travel. I've used wingnuts on the bottom so that I can remove the mounts if needed but we've actually found that they don't get in our way.

Here's a link to the mounts:
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Bike-Hit...9501877&sr=8-1

Here are some photos of the bikes after returning from a 5 hour drive:

Carrying Bikes in Airstream by LToTheYnn, on Flickr

Carrying Bikes in Airstream by LToTheYnn, on Flickr!

Lynn
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
There are lots of different ways to carry bikes, and some very creative. On the other hand, we just bought folding bikes and carry them in the back of the truck.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Aptos , California
Bike Rack for Airstream

Thank you all for the information you've provided us on selecting the best bike rack system for our 16" bambi. Since we don't have a rear bumper on our AS the Arvika system appears to be our best bet. We would never have found it if it wasn't the AS discussions between members! You are all the BEST.

For anyone who wants more information on this rack go to:
Arvika Airstream Travel Trailer Bracket - RACKS FOR CARS INC.

Happy Glamping....
Nannette is offline   Reply With Quote