Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Moved from Vintage '72 to 2006 Safari

A little over a month ago on Labor Day my 72 Tradewind got stolen. Loved that trailer and put a lot of work and money in her. Couldn't go back to another Vintage unit, so just bought a 2006 Safari SE FB LS. Wow what a cool trailer! It's simply incredible. So now I'm in training to learn all the "stuff" about it how it works etc. Got a great shake down by the dealer and PO and am going through the manuals. So I'm starting this thread to ask stupid questions that you seasoned owners have figured out a few years back. So first question is how do you change a light bulb in the halogen fixtures and what bulb do you use to replace it? It looked like the fixture just pulls down but I figured if I continued on that route I'd pull the whole thing out of its socket and wiring.

Didn't see that point in the Safari manual.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
RichHog...The innermost silver ring (the one that holds the lens) of the ceiling light fixtures pops out if you use a sharp knife or small screwdriver to pry it up...be careful not to slip and scratch the fixture or the interior aluminum skin... and do it when the light is off because those halogen lights get HOT... Be sure not to drop the lens...the lens is usually held in position inside the ring, but they can come loose... The whole fixture can be removed (they're held in with a spring mechanism) but you don't need to do that to change the bulb. You can replace the halogen bulbs (be sure not to touch them with your bare fingers because the oil from your hands will shorten their life)... You should be able to find replacements at your hardware store...I believe they are 10 watts... But we have replaces all out our interior lights with LEDs...much less draw on batteries, and they do not get as hot...

Good luck! And congrats on the Safari SE...they are great trailers! We love our 19'...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Thanks for the tip on the light bullb. What LED lights did you go to (specific brand model)? I had just put some in the Tradewind in July but they were a little blue, even though they were speced out as "bright white". Once we get past the check clearing on the initial purchase I'll want to go LED, but the Halogen lights in the metal interior is awesome.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Congratulations on the new trailer! You're going to love it. We have an '05 Safari 25FB SE LS that we have spent over 700 nights in. We have not yet tired of it.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
_

. , .
congrats on the new stream.

that is a mighty fine salve for the stolen stream gash.

u can download and quickly search the owners manual in digi format.

the PARTS BOOK is also available and very useful for things like disassembly of fixtures and structural parts.

both are here...

parts book at the top, owners manual at the bottom...

'bright white' = blue ish.

'warm white' = not blueish

long thread with lots of led pics and bulb options.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...hts-17392.html

one can purchase online from the a/s store (prices are not higher)

but we've got our very own bulb vendor here, who has posted a bunch on replacements.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...deo-66186.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Dan@LED4RV (LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles) is where we got our LEDs to replace the halogens... He has it set up so you can see which LEDs replace which other type of bulbs... it's a simple replacement process. We replaced all the interior halogens, the incandescent bulbs, the stove hood light and the step and patio lights on the outside and even the incandescent bulbs in the storage compartments......eventually we'll replace all the running lights too, but since they are only on when it's being towed, for the most part, they are not high on our list. We like the "bright white" (the bluer, whiter light) but if you prefer a warmer light, get the "warm white" versions...they are closer to the light from the halogens...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 10-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Thanks for the info guys. Spent a year and a half learning all things Tradewind. Now having to learn about all the changes/improvements that have been made in 35 years and things Safari. Currently learning about the Sony DVD and 15" flat panel and internet wiring.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Couch Makes down into Bed

So I noticed that some of the units sleep 7 meaning that the side couch slides out to be a bed. Did the 06 models not do this? What changes did Airstream make in the 07 - 08 models? When did change from Safari to Flying Cloud?

Is there a way to modify the couch to fold out?
Old 10-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
RichHog, condolences on the theft and congrats on the new-to-you Safari.

I'd be interested in hearing some of your other thoughts of your vintage Tradewind vs the new Safari. Is it a night and day difference? Do you notice the extra width when towing?

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Tom, someone else asked me the same thing, here is my answer:

Q:
The cheapskate in me feels like spending ~$20k total on vintage+restoration is nicer than spending ~$35k on a "gently used" modern trailer. You've experience both in fairly quick succession, which would you choose?

My Answer:
In the first round I never thought I'd spend over $30k on a trailer. Plus I didn't have that kind of money to consider. First round of Tradewinds I looked at were about $3500. Then they went up to $6500. I bought my 72 for $8500. First thing I had to do was replace the non-working fridge ($650) then toilet, gaucho, formica, heater, custom drapes, stereo/TVaxles and on. So I had put $ 15,000 into her and then she's stolen, no insurance. The only thing good about this process is you can find you a good starter trailer at a decent price and then put money and time in her as it becomes available. Doing this you will have something that is uniquely yours.

New (almost 2006) trailer. Write a check for $34,000. Take home enjoy. No repairs. Large panoramic windows. Dinette, no Gaucho and great seating. Queen bed in front. Very modern. Love it but miss the Tradewind. But if the Tradewind comes back it's for sale. Bottom line is you can spend a lot of time looking for the perfect vintage trailer at the right price. Each one is different. Newer trailers have a lot of models and configurations to choose from.
Find the one you want and go for it.

Towing the new Safari 25FB feels about the same, even though the new one is much heavier by more than two thousand pounds. Going up the hill I can tell but the "pull factor" curves slight inclines and down hill on the two lane roads in Virginia was fun. I'm sure the weight distribution (Reese) make a big difference but it felt good and aerodynamic. I had just put new axles on the Tradewind in July and it had a good hitch setup. A longer trailer might have felt different, didn't notice any difference in the width.
Hope that helps you decide.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dear Rich

Wait until you have to light the water heater. ONE CLICK... no running out in your jammies freezing your tookus trying to get the thing lighted.

And the furnace, turn the thermostat to "furnace" and wait 2 minutes.

And cleaning the bare aluminum walls... damp microfiber cloth works on everything but the spider you squash... a little windex takes care of that.

Oh and that side gaucho/couch DOES pull out... the mechanism changed from year to year... Pull the cushions off, open the storage space underneath and study it intently. Its perfectly comfortable for one without extending it, and frankly I wouldn't put any 250Lb people in it while extended. It's like a strapless gown, no visible means of support

Found the water pump yet? Turn it on and it will reveal itself!

Happy Trails, Paula

PS: INSURE this one!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
All good points Paula. Looked at the couch and don't see a way it extends. Under the cushions is a plywood top, but if it doesn't then no big deal. I had to re-glue the end panel in the bedroom, the one where the thermostat is by the shower. Having one control for heat/AC good, the electronic water heater and water pump are great improvements over the vintage. Need to track down the water pump itself, think it's by the outside front panel. Of and the fantastic fan is nice, still learning about how it works. And yes, my wife made sure we had insurance on the trailer in place before we pulled out of the dealer's lot.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Rich

Sorry about the loss of your beloved TW and congrats on your new purchase. Thanks for the writeup on the comparison of the old and the new. We are in the middle of doing all the "upgrades" and I am enjoying it very much.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Dan it was pretty hard on losing the Tradewind. We had put a lot of money and personal work on her. Spent two years finding her. I even put in wood veneers over all the 70s plastic laminate so she would have that 60s wood feel. But couldn't go through that process again on another vintage trailer, we kept wanting ours back. So the decision was to go with something new modern and still Airstream. Always liked the CCD models so the Safari SE FB seemed to be the best out there with the wrap around panoramic window. Having the 2006 eases the pain.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Changing out the Flat Panel TV

So my trailer has a 15" Sony TV. Was very nice before they cut off the analog TV channels, so has anybody replaced it yet with a true HD set? What I'm interested in knowing is how to pull another cable (HDMI) to the set from the DVD player location. Lots of aluminum in between.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
So RichHog...forgive my lack of electronics smarts, but would like to understand... what would be the purpose of doing that? Is it so you can watch DVDs in HD ...or? Our TV was also not digital-ready but we got a box for it...and we get the Digital signals just fine. We do plan to eventually switch our the TV for a newer digital-ready set...so we don't need the box...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 10-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
When the HD convertors were like $20 it made sense to keep the old TV and add the convertor box. If you hook up to a cable system at a campsite then it doesn't matter. But for $200 I can replace the 15"TV with a 23" Digital one that can use the antennae system and display in HD. Currently it works fine with the built-in DVD player. But when I add an Apple TV then I can rent movies off the web and go straight to the HD TV, also show photos on it from the computer.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks! Gotcha...that makes sense..the piece I was missing is the Apple TV...TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 10-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Put the new Vizio 23" in tonite replacing the 15" Sony Wega, original spec. Was a PITA taking out the Sony, power supple is actually mounted behind the wall where there is no access. Wound up cutting the ends off it and pulled a short extension cable from the power outlet through the mounting plate. Another PITA as the cavity is sealed to prevent gas from the fridge entering the cabin. But finally got the extension cable pulled behind the TV so I have an extra outlet to the Apple TV. That's another night's project. The 23"Vizio Razor looks great and fits well in the space. Not gets HD TV off the antenna.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Is the line from the DVD the crappy yellow composite video (single RCA connector) with left+right audio? The old TV probably has component (3 RCA connectors for 1 video signal, all the quality you'd get from HDMI as long as the run isn't too long) and definitely would have S-Video, though they may not have run a cable for you. If you have enough cables with RCA connectors (5 connectors on each end) you can carry component video + stereo, even if you don't have a single 3-conductor/3-connector component video cable. I have no idea what you have to work with, just throwing out ideas to see if there's an option other than fishing cable through the trailer walls.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote