Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
MJBear, If you have talk yourself into buying an Airstream don't do it. The complaints you hear on this form are a tiny fraction of Airstream owners. My 2007 25' Classic has not been trouble free but so far nothing that I haven't been able to fix myself. I will say, for what they cost, Airstream could do a better job. The concept is great, the execution not as good.The quality of the fit and finish has gotten better in the last couple of years but it's not where it should be for such a high end product. To many things still leave the factory that the dealers shouldn't have to correct. One of the members still on the formus sold his Airstream and purchased a 25' Bigfoot at half the cost of the 25' Airstream. Looks pretty nice too. Airstreams aren't for everyone, but if you're a future owner, you'll know it, and then nothing else comes close.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBear
Thanks for the encouragement....one big concern is that we are 3hrs. from the closest dealer in any direction good or bad. I suppose the factory would also be a choice for repairs as it is between 5 and 6 hrs. All those return trips for warranty work sound unpleasant.
It also sounds like there are some years to stay away from re: showers etc. I'm keeping a list. After getting our TV I'll begin the countdown.
I purchased a unit from a dealer going out of business in Atlanta with no prep nothing. The few warranty issues I have had have been minor. Broken Zip Dee awning bracket, leaking seal on water pump, vinyl coming up in bath and some Formica edging coming unglued. I contacted Zip Dee and sureflow and they sent parts, I glued the vinyl and Formica down. No dealer in the New Orleans area. I can honestly say if I had had a dealer in the area to do the warranty work I don’t think I would have bother to hook up the unit to bring it in, I still would of done the repairs myself, no big deal to me. I have pulled the trailer over 5 thousand miles in the last year and it has gotten nothing but better and easier. I still haven’t gotten around to getting the spare tire and rim for the unit, I am living on the edge.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:42 AM   #103
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Last week while washing my unit I discovered that the curb side rock guard (for window) was cracking up.
I called my dealer and was told this is becomming a problem with the new rock guards. Covered my warrenty, Airstream is drop shipping one too me.
You might want too check yours. NO crack visible on the outside, but when you open it and look thru you will see the cracks. I had four right in the bend.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

Good grief!!! What are the QC people at Airstream doing? Doesn't anyone check the trailers to see what problems there are?

When you spend this much money for an Airstream, you sure do expect quality!

Sure is affecting our decision to buy newer.

Gloria Pace
72 Sovereign
WBCCI 7287
Greeenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:12 PM   #105
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
New - in a heartbeat

I just have an old 72 Tradewind that I have been renovating and it is a great hobby. Axels-replaced, Univolt - boat anchor, electrical switches and lighting modified or replaced, new poer vents etc,.....

Including the buying price I have about $7000 into it now. I anticipate another $3000 - $3500 (+time) into it including polishing. I should have something that will take me on a very long retirement tour (and a few campouts between now and then).

Would I buy new considering what I have read in the forum....in a heartbeat if I had the $ (and got a good trade in).

I read somewhere that AS employs about 400 in Ohio. You have to sell a fair number of trailers to support a factory and staff of 400. Considering the pople I have talked to that either have now or have had an AS in the past there are very few complaints. Look how long they last. Mine is 35 years old. I knw it was originally sold in Michigan (Owners Manual) It has been to Florida on someones anniversery trip (found a hand drawn card while renovating), it has been in Indiana Ohio & Michigan--that I know of, in addition to the Florida Trip. 35 years, 25 of which seemed to have seen good use. Not a bad deal for the original $.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:15 PM   #106
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
New - in a heartbeat

I just have an old 72 Tradewind that I have been renovating and it is a great hobby. Axels-replaced, Univolt - boat anchor, electrical switches and lighting modified or replaced, new poer vents etc,.....

Including the buying price I have about $7000 into it now. I anticipate another $3000 - $3500 (+time) into it including polishing. I should have something that will take me on a very long retirement tour (and a few campouts between now and then).

Would I buy new considering what I have read in the forum....in a heartbeat if I had the $ (and got a good trade in).

I read somewhere that AS employs about 400 in Ohio. You have to sell a fair number of trailers to support a factory and staff of 400. Considering the pople I have talked to that either have now or have had an AS in the past there are very few complaints. Look how long they last. Mine is 35 years old. I knw it was originally sold in Michigan (Owners Manual) It has been to Florida on someones anniversery trip (found a hand drawn card while renovating), it has been in Indiana Ohio & Michigan--that I know of, in addition to the Florida Trip. 35 years, 25 of which seemed to have seen good use. Not a bad deal for the original $. Yes I would love to shop for a 27 CC of 28 SE but I can't afford it. Would I invest the time and $ in an SOB...get real, I know this trailer will last, it is just do for some rehab. The last 2 owners had no beefs even though the plumbing was on the fritz. They both thought it a good solid trailer.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:53 AM   #107
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Arrived West Yellowstone at 9PM last night. Cold in MT. and no heat.
Filled both 30 Lb bottles with 5 Lbs propane. Still no heat.
Reset thermostate and blower comes on and some heat for a few short time, then no heat.
If I ever buy another Airstream, someone please shoot me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh yes it has been check by three dealers and the Mother Ship.

Don
Old 08-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Sounds like a leak in the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
Arrived West Yellowstone at 9PM last night. Cold in MT. and no heat.
Filled both 30 Lb bottles with 5 Lbs propane. Still no heat.
Reset thermostate and blower comes on and some heat for a few short time, then no heat.
If I ever buy another Airstream, someone please shoot me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh yes it has been check by three dealers and the Mother Ship.

Don
I had the same problem. There was air in the line. I purged the line and it worked just fine.
Use a spray bottle with soapy water to find the leak (or loose fitting). The lines are outside from the tank until they enter the cabin near the heater (on mine).
Why buy another Airstream? You have a great challenge there.
I do hope you are taking a moment out to enjoy your surroundings every now and then between repairs.
Let's see, you are tortured by a new Airstream while touring this great country in the company of a good dog.
Gunny, happy trails.
Keep posting, I like pictures of scenery and dogs too.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #109
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

It does the same thing with the AC, so it is the thermostate.

Don.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #110
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Don, Your A/S must of been made the day after the company picnic where the employees were told no raises or year end bonus because the board of directors just restructured the CEO's pay package & stock options... gotta love these hot shot business types where everything is about shareholders while forgetting about the product they're supposed to build. Oh well, they'll move on to bigger & better things... too bad they reproduce.

MJBear, this is our second A/S. Our first one had it's share of issues that had to be fixed by the dealer and by another where we eventually traded it in on our larger unit (Camper Clinic II in Buda, TX). They've been great - no problems (let us store our Airstream there for over a year for free while we were moving, buying and remodeling our home). Our current one had some minor problems after the 'shakedown' cruise, shower leak, loose vents, entrance step problems and a power lift that failed. All fixed and nary a problem since. Had it for going on 3 years.

We have had several friends that have bought 5th wheels and SOB trailers. One, who has a 5th wheel, has had problems rivaling Don's and to make matters worse, the construction materials were really cheap. Where Don had his higher quality water pump replaced by a cheaper one (dealership issue), my friends 5th wheel began with a cheaper water pump and it went down hill from there. In laws had a 5th wheel... Looked good and was **HUGE**! Walked in and well, felt like I was in a doublewide...! Maybe even a triple-wide! After a little over a year, everything was "rickety"... and this was after having an incredible number of repairs made on shoddy & cheap workmanship. How many 30 year old SOB's do you see on the road? 20 year old? Heck, 10 year old? How many people restore SOB's and how many do you see on the road?

I guess a comparison (at least for me), is that even if you buy a Rolls-Royce or a Bently, you'll still have mechanical issues & problems to deal with and some dealers that are better than others. Same as with a VW Beetle. Guess it just boils down to what you want to travel in.

Just my opinion...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 AM   #111
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Left Yellowstone monday and am now in Bend Oregon.
I hit two birds on the way. One cracked the center rock guard, but window ok.
The second hit the passenger side mirror and then the segment protector, no damage.
I am at Crown Villa RV Resort, 1-866-500-5300 in Bend Oregon and it is one of the best parks I have seen in two years on the road. If you are comming this way, make reservations early, as they stay full.
When I pulled in my neighbor came over and said he was glad too see me again, but I didn't know him! He said he stayed at a military campground in Wasington with a ex-Marine who had the same silver truck and Airstream and thought I was him.
Does anyone on the forum have a rig like mine, see avatar and was in Washington, if so give me a e-mail.
Sat I will start back too Salem, the knife is waiting.

Don
Old 01-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #112
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Warrenties

I bought the new Italian Range Exaust Hood in Dec 07 for $200.00.
Three days ago the fan blade broke and as I hurried too turn it off the switch's fell out.
The switch was easy, just put two screw's in that were left out.
The fan blade is another problem! Airstream can't deside if it is a warrentie issue!!!!
Today I called customer service too be given a line of S---. So I said just send me the fan blade and I will pay for it. NO CAN DO!!! "I'm not sure we use an Italian made hood"
As a full timer, I need the hood fixed.
They will call me back, like Sutton will call me back ( see first post, the phone still hasn't rang).
And people ask me why I have a big LEMON on the front of my TRAILER.:h uh::h uh:

Gunny
Old 01-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Gunny, them Italians are the same one that made that Fiat car. You been around long enough to know that. Next time buy Acme.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #114
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

And don't buy it from AIRSTREAM!!!
I can't beleave that they don't know if it is a warrenty issue, when it is less than 30 days old. Even Auto Zone well replce there junk in the first 30 days.

Gunny

PS: I gotta get me a TETON.
Ps PS: Good too hear from you Jim.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #115
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Got a call at 1:45 my time from Airstream. They will mail me the fan blade monday at no cost too me.

Gunny
Old 08-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #116
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Zip Dee Awnings

The last week in July I ordered three awnings ( Fabric Only) from Zip Dee for my 06 Safari. $974.00.
They were shipped on 8 Aug.
On 26 Aug Roger Williams Airstream removed my old awnings.
On 27 Aug they began installing the new Awnings. The Patio is perfect, the street side short awning is 2" short & the rear window awning has a seam 17" in from one side.
I called Zip Dee and was told that the seam was because the material is not wide enough.
I told the Owner (Ron) that my old awning didn't have a seam, nor did any of the one's on my dealers lot. He ask what he could do too make me happy and I said send me a window awning with out a seam.
He said we can't deal with you and hung up.:angr y:
I didn't even get too the street awning or the fact that gray thread on maroon looks bad.
I would like too know if anyone with maroon Zip Dee awning have gray thread.

Gunny

PS: Photo's are under my phto's on page 1.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:39 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Awning material?

Hi, I checked your pictures and here is what I see:

(1.) The awning with the seam near the middle is because your material was at the end of the roll and spliced. Not acceptable.

(2.) The side awning being a few inches short is out of range: I would accept the fact that production could vary between 1/4" to 1" maximum, but beyond that would only be acceptable only with an agreed discount as in a second.

(3.) As for the gray thread used on the seams, I don't know, maybe they use the gray thread on all awnings? Or maybe they don't. I don't know.

You should write a book on your Airstream experiences and get rich on their failures that you have lived to tell about.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:20 PM   #118
_

. , .
hi gunny

my unit has the burgundy cloth, with gray stitching.

honestly i hadn't noticed the stitching color till u mentioned this.

it looks like others are getting the 'sections pieced together' material too...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f485...7fb-43356.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #119
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Well today we finished the 50 AMP conversion & the axle replacement with new mags and Michelin tires.
I added remote air pressure braided hoses too the trailer and new truck spare tires.
The new door window will be in Tues which should allow me too be in my winter camping site by Wed.
Then I can start looking for an awning shop that can buy Sunbrella material and remake the two awnings.

Gunny
Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc View Post
Well today we finished the 50 AMP conversion & the axle replacement with new mags and Michelin tires.
I added remote air pressure braided hoses too the trailer and new truck spare tires.
The new door window will be in Tues which should allow me too be in my winter camping site by Wed.
Then I can start looking for an awning shop that can buy Sunbrella material and remake the two awnings.

Gunny
Pics Gunny, Pics!!

PS - you like the new Super Duty truck? I still love mine!!
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote