Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1960 - 1965 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Kansas City , Missouri
Hot water heater

We have a 62 Safari, 22 ft., twin beds. We are replacing our hot water heater and finally have it removed after a real struggle today. We just found wet wood rot under it. So part of the floor will have to be replaced. Next will be the furnace, it does not seem to work either. The Dometic refrigerator is questionable as well. Has anyone had to tackle any of these areas in a 62? Any suggestions on appliances? Sizes? Does anyone happen to have a wiring schematic for this year? Flooring, any suggestions there? Thanks. Peggy
Peggy Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Wilson View Post
We have a 62 Safari, 22 ft., twin beds. We are replacing our hot water heater and finally have it removed after a real struggle today. We just found wet wood rot under it. So part of the floor will have to be replaced. Next will be the furnace, it does not seem to work either. The Dometic refrigerator is questionable as well. Has anyone had to tackle any of these areas in a 62? Any suggestions on appliances? Sizes? Does anyone happen to have a wiring schematic for this year? Flooring, any suggestions there? Thanks. Peggy
Peggy.

Before you consider appliances, you should update the trailer witha Univolt system, where everything operates off of 12 volts DC, except the Air Conditioner.

Then you will be miles ahead of what to do.

What is the brand name of the furnace you now have?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Hi Peggy

I don't have your answers but you and I live in the same world. When I started my Airstream repairs I budgeted for all 4 new gas appliances. I believe that will turn out to be a prudent plan. My water heater didn't leak, I just don't want to go to all the work of adding new water lines to a 35 year old water heater. I was happy to see that it hadn't leaked yet when I removed it. Mine came out with no problems.

I plan to install a gas/110 volt pilotless ignition model. For space reasons I intend to go from a 10 gallon to a 6 gallon.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Kansas City , Missouri
Thank you for your comments. Our furnace is an International TTG 1125. This unit operates off of 12V and 115V IF it were running! We can't get it to light, nor could the previous owner. (Although there was a glimmer of hope when he said he had used it 4 years ago.) We knew going in to this, it was going to have to be replaced.
We need a wiring schematic to know what wires go where. We don't really know what we have! (The interior walls are not off.)
As far as the WH, advantage / disadvantage: buy a gas WH or a combo gas and electric WH. What are the electrical requirements? Breakers size?
There is a sharp learning curve for this! Thanks everyone for all of your help.
FYI: Our trailer was made in Ohio if that helps.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi, Peggy, and welcome to airforums.com. You and your husband will find lots of information and help understanding your new "toy" on here.

As a side note, for some reason we call it a hot water heater too, and my brother in Georgia always asks me why we heat hot water.

He's always been a pest
Old 09-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Wilson View Post
Thank you for your comments. Our furnace is an International TTG 1125. This unit operates off of 12V and 115V IF it were running! We can't get it to light, nor could the previous owner. (Although there was a glimmer of hope when he said he had used it 4 years ago.) We knew going in to this, it was going to have to be replaced.
We need a wiring schematic to know what wires go where. We don't really know what we have! (The interior walls are not off.)
As far as the WH, advantage / disadvantage: buy a gas WH or a combo gas and electric WH. What are the electrical requirements? Breakers size?
There is a sharp learning curve for this! Thanks everyone for all of your help.
FYI: Our trailer was made in Ohio if that helps.
Peggy.

DO NOT attempt to light that furnace.

They are famous for EXPLODING because of faulty design.

Most of them have been removed and deposited in the center of the Pacific ocean.

The main burner crumbles because of the poor design, and when the LPG flows into it and then a spark or flame follows, the the big BANG happens.

When that furnace was new, it had many different recalls, up to and including leaking gas valves.

Dealers that had parts for them, threw them away, because of the "LIABILITY".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Kansas City , Missouri
Wow Andy, thank you for that information. It has been removed and deposited in a recycle bin.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Kansas City , Missouri
Andy: We are back to battery ideas/ questions. Originally we had a battery in the front of the trailer. We are now considering a second battery under the couch approx. 15 feet from the original. We have a new converter installed in this location. Do you have any recommendations or suggestions for this sort of installation? Wire size, gauges, routing, maximum distance, terminal block, etc...... Since there are no wiring schematics for this age airstream, we are hoping to design a safe method for power. We are also interested in solar power, style, size and etc. Geez, and we thought we would buy this trailer and just jump in and use it! At every turn there is something to be replaced and repaired. Good thing my husband retired in Dec. 2010! Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Refer

Can you post photos of the fridge? If the ammonia system is still intact you may be able get it operating.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you go to the "Forums"section and scroll down to the "Electrical" section you will find tons of info on batteries, their installation, and solar among many other items.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #11

1960 22' Safari
moline , Illinois
bargman L77

Wow, I'm sure this is a longshot-but I'm having some problems getting started on this site and can't seem to respond to your classified ad-so I ended up finding you here. I want to buy the door handle/lock if possible, plz respond. thanks
candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Kansas City , Missouri
For Candy....

Sorry to say, but that old hot water heater is long gone. Well I'm not really sorry it's gone, but sorry I couldn't help you with the parts!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
Think about an upgrade

Hi Peggy,
I just did all the research for a new water heater and a furnace. My Globetrotter is about 17-20 ft. After looking at all the options and finding replacing with same was not an option, I installed a really nice catalytic heater and rebuilt my cabinets (since the old one left a hole when removed). Also the airstream came with a larger water heater than needed so I went with a 6 gallon. I will have some new photos up in a week soon to show the installs. I also had floor rot too, and installed a new floor. Andy is correct. If you replace the water heater it is a good time to remove your old Univolt(big box that converts incoming electricity) to a modern system. Mine is now done and what a feeling it is that I now know not to worry anymore about electrical failures. If you need specifics do not hesitate to ask. Good luck in your endeavors!
Randy
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote