Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1960 - 1965 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2008, 05:30 AM   #481
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
your fishing and your not catchin' ....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #482
2 Rivet Member

Utica , New York
Tiny Circus

My 22' is transitioning to mother-ship role for a group of smallified 'streams to house a crew of travelling artists.

Details of the project are here, and from now on I will post progress pictures and news to the blog link at this url:

Tiny Circus

It's a community oriented project, consider a tiny donation - there is a donate link on the web page as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6_5_GardenStreamFields.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	62359  
C_Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #483
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Ferguson View Post
It's a community oriented project, consider a tiny donation - there is a donate link on the web page as well!
Done.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #484
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Way to go. Some nice ideas, and lots of great work. How bout some finished pics...?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #485
1 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
Chico , California
Woodstove Questions

Hello Carlos and all!

I have downloaded this entire thread w/ photos for offline reference. Totally inspired-- thank you!

I am on the verge of ordering parts to attempt an install of the same Sardine wood stove that you have and I've got some questions. But since this thread is :

1) I'm presuming you did not ever need/want to upgrade to the next size up? Can you speak to that choice?

2) I'm wondering if these are the same components you used for your install (would be ordered direct from MarineStoves)?

Insulated Pipe Components :: 4" Ins. Pipe Adapter (HT- 4PA)
Insulated Pipe Components :: 4in Rain Cap (HT- 4RC)
Insulated Pipe Components :: 4in Roof Support (HT- 4RS)
Insulated Pipe Components :: 4in Storm Collar (HT- 4SC)
Insulated Pipe Components :: 4in x 24in Insulated Pipe (HT-424)

3) I like the large stand-off heat shield -- how/where can I find the materials for something like that? Did you put in the hole yourself?

4) And can you explain why you chose to recess your woodstove i.e what are the benefits to having it open on only one side (obviously for loading)?

5) Lastly, my Airstream is a 30' Sovereign International and I am wondering if anyone can advise me regarding where I should or should not put a whole in my ceiling for the stove pipe?

Thanks everyone!

-Sara Brooke
SaraBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #486
1 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
Chico , California
I know this is an old thread, but it is new to me!

So, here's a thought about this condensation issue:

In the earlier pages of this thread I noticed that Carlos' mattress was the foam-crate style. In my experience these have an exceptional prediliction for condensing moisture beneath them, reagrdless of conditions. So, I wonder if it could potentially be the foam style mattress itself that has caused the persistent condensation?
Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 AM   #487
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Hello and welcome!

I'm not Carlos, but I have some answers because it may take him some time to notice this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBrooke View Post
3) I like the large stand-off heat shield -- how/where can I find the materials for something like that? Did you put in the hole yourself?
The heat shield is simply some soft aluminum cut to the right size. It is attached to the inner skin using some stand-offs. He rolled the edges, so no sharp edges or corners would be easy to bump into.

Quote:
4) And can you explain why you chose to recess your woodstove i.e what are the benefits to having it open on only one side (obviously for loading)?
I don't know why he did that, and I would have done it differently. Cast iron stoves work mostly by radiant heat, and any barrier around the stove absorbs then re-radiates the heat, and some just goes back to the stove and up the chimney. He did say that with hindsight he wished he'd got the next size larger, too. I'd like one I could also heat a pan or water on - just a little bigger...

Also, I would have put a flap in the flue/chimney as near the roof as possible, so when the stove was not in use, the flue would not act as a heating or cooling body filled with outside ambient temperature air. Finicky, but just my preference.

As to where you'd put it in your 30 footer - where would you like to put it? As long as the flue doesn't port under a roof vent where fumes could recirculate, you have a lot of freedom

Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #488
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Easton , Massachusetts
Quote:
Hello Carlos and all!
Hi Sara,

1) I'm presuming you did not ever need/want to upgrade to the next size up? Can you speak to that choice?

The first stove he showed in the forum is a Sardine and the one at the end of the forum is a "Little Cod". I also enjoyed this thread so much I picked up a Little Cod wood stove. My Airstream is a 22' Globetrotter and I believe that it will heat it with no problem.

Look for an alloy dealer near you to help with shipping costs. Once a week I do a search on craigslist to see if anyone is selling anything I need. (this is how I found my "Little Cod" for $300.00....)

Carlos is a very good craftsman, I'm very impressed with all of his work!

On where to put the woodstove, I plan on installing mine like the one on the front page of Marinestoves.com.... I want to show it off!!! Also I like the fireplace look to it.
Traditional Cast Iron Marine Stoves by Navigator Stove Works,Inc.

No-matter where you install it you can install 12v computer fans to circulate the heat around the trailer.

I hope this helps....

Mike
Cogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #489
1 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
Chico , California
More wood stove thoughts...

Thanks, Mike!

Snagging a "Little Cod" off Craigslist is SUCH a great find! Congratulations!

As for me, I was not sure if a "Little Cod" or "Sardine" would be best for me, so I WAS going to go with the smaller foot print and lower cost. (Plus, the "Sardine" is eligible for a 30% tax credit in 2010 that the "Little Cod" just missed.)

However, I consider myself lucky to have also found a little old boat stove on Craigslist, so that will be the one that I install! It is a 12"x 10" x 18" wood stove by Washington Stove Works, a foundry that is now closed but used to be in Everett, WA. Two burners on top. I'm imagining that it will be just the ticket.

As for fans, you can get these great EcoFans that sit on top of your wood stove and operate solely on the temperature differential:

http://www.wttool.com/landing/cafram...FZJd5Qod4kIJ3A

And for location, I've also decided to put my stove in that same little corner spot that you like, Mike (like the one on the Marine Stoves website).

But here's a question for everyone:

Adjacent to the corner where I want to install my stove there's already a wide, covered vent/shaft that runs up through the roof (photo included here)Click image for larger version

Name:	P9040637.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	110228-- right above where the original refrigerator used to be. Since there is already a whole through the roof right there, just a little offset from where the stove will sit, can I just put an elbow in the stove pipe and then use this pre-existing/whole vent? It is not the right size/shape right now, but maybe I could work with it somehow? Seems better than putting ANOTHER whole in the roof, especially since this shaft is not serving a function anymore. (Actually, I don't really understand what the vent was there for originally-- the refrigerator, I guess?) I would, of course, need to remove the current "cover" that composes the shaft first...

What do you all think?

Thanks,
Sara Brooke
Old 08-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #490

Winchester , Idaho
I think your idea for your bathroom is great, however, won't it be a pain having to lift the walls everytime you want to use the bathroom or shower...if you are using the space for work...? Instead of a tent type system...have you considered hinged walls and door that will fold at counter height...with the interior of wall and door being covered with a fiber glass sheeting like a shower would have to make it water proof for shower and yet have the feel of a small room with privacy...have the interior cubby for the hand held type shower head, similar to an exterior shower system...but have a simple hook after walls are unfolded to hang for a nice hot shower...you could use a slider bar that goes into the wall to secure the walls to the side and a cross bar for the door to hold it into place...just a thought....
MMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #491
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Might be interesting to find out what she did being that the last post was almost two years ago.
just sayin'
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #492
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Carlos, where you been, buddy? Last I saw you were towing that extremely short Airstream projection booth around the country.

Zep
Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #493

1973 31' Sovereign
Burlington , Vermont
Carlos -

This project is fantastic!

I am researching for the renovation of a 1970 Sovereign. Currently looking into types of flooring. I was wondering how you cork floors have held up? I love the look and the light weight characteristic but I am concerned that a cork floor will not hold up. The airstream will eventually be a hotel room of sorts for festivals.

I am also curios about your choice of insulation. Why the bubble (Reflectix insulation) over say a spray foam insulation.

Thanks!
NorthLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #494
4 Rivet Member

The cork has held up fairly well, but I'm happier with the hardwood cherry floor I put in another airstream. My thinking on those things is choose materials that look good when they are beat up as they eventually will be beat up. The cork is pretty tough, but when it gets damaged by dropping something sharp on it, it just looks damaged. The cherry looks better the more dings it gets. I made 3/8" thick floorboards and glued them down.

I would probably spray foam now, but the insulation has been fine. Spray foam would be more expensive and better, probably it needs to be closed cell as there will be leaks somewhere and the open cell can absorb moisture.

Carlos
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #495

1973 31' Sovereign
Burlington , Vermont
Spray foam insulation

Hey Carlos,

Thanks for your feed back on the cork floors.

About the spray foam insulation, do you think the closed cell foam would desinigrate over time from the movement of the trailer?

Do you know anyone who has tried this method and been satisfied with the results?
NorthLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #496
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Hey Carlos, Where Y'at?, Homeboy! (as soon as you arrive here, you become an honorary homeboy-slash-Yat, btw) How's the mansion coming along? You're probably ready to bring in a plasterer by now! I need to get some macerator info from you, someone is considering renting my rig for six months to do a home renovation in Riverbend. We (the band) return to Chickee Wah Wah on Jan. 5 for our Annual 12th Night shindig, put it on your calendar. cheers, rick O.
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #497
4 Rivet Member

Northland,

I wouldn't worry about the insulation being pulverized. I don't worry much about this kind of thing... I have thousands of miles on my airstream and don't find that that road is that hard on it.

Rick,

well... I sometimes long for the days when I was working on a tiny airstream, but things are coming along. I'll check you out on Jan. 5 if I can remember!

Carlos
Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #498
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
san antonio , Texas
Carlos..

ANy updates on the stove?? Anything new to add for new installs?? Did u upgrade??

Thanks..

PS: I may get a 30 footer and gut it, then remodel with bed, kitchen, stove, living area.. No bathroom, maybe not even shower.. Just cowboy cleanup/shower..
sandmanxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:10 AM   #499
GlamperGirl

I got very lucky - I found the best thread on the site I believe.
thumbelinadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #500
4 Rivet Member

Aw, Thanks!

Tags
1962, 1962 safari, 22'