Old 07-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
This may be a stupid question, but for those that installed this before, what type of screws were used in mounting? I was not sure if where this is mounted on the rear of the Airstream if there was a support member under the skin that was being tapped into or just screwing into the outer skin.

Done many things on the inside of the Airstream but none on the outside and was not sure how it was really attached to the skin. Thanks for helping easing my hesitation into drilling into the outer skin.

Thanks
Most of the installs i've seen are right below the middle clearance light. I'm assuming there will be a truss there but others will know better than I. As for the screw question. I would use stainless as you don't want anything to rush and stain the alum.

Did you buy a camera? If you did what did you buy?
(enquiring minds need to know.......)

Cheers
Doug

Old 07-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
No Doug, still just mulling the whole thing. I am more interested if there isn't a truss there are just self taping ss screws enough to hold it in the skin. I just didn't know if they are using some sort of expanding anchor if the skin is thin there and no sub structure.

I am still hesitant over the $700 cost. Still researching some of the other options.

Chuck

Old 07-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Well I will wait and let you finish your research Chuck. Then once that's done you can tell me the best one to buy also........😓

I'm still thinking I can mount mine on my bike rack and access power through the licence plate light. At least I think I can.......

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
No Doug, still just mulling the whole thing. I am more interested if there isn't a truss there are just self taping ss screws enough to hold it in the skin. I just didn't know if they are using some sort of expanding anchor if the skin is thin there and no sub structure.
There's no truss but the metal's thick enough that #10 SS sheet metal screws will hold the camera and mount in place. You can also use some adhesive such as Sikaflex 221 if still concerned.

Here's a picture of mine. Doesn't require drilling another hole in your AS for the camera power cable as you can notch the base of your middle clearance light and run the wire through the existing clearance hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1265.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	243176  
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
South Western Ontario , Ontario
I have a 25FB EB and there was only the sheet alum. no truss to mount to. I have the Voyager and used stainless steel screws and mounting tape to isolate the metal bracket from the Alum. skin. My main use is for backing up and want to see the rear bumper but the arch makes it difficult to get it in the camera view. The drip molding over the rear window gets in the way but I can see withing an inch of the rear bumper. If you have a rear awning you would have more difficulty. Also don't be too aggressive drilling as the insulation will wind up around your drill bit and you can put it back.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Northborough , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post

I am still hesitant over the $700 cost. Still researching some of the other options.

Chuck
You know that you can reinforce the area if needed... just take a "patch" made of the skin material and rivet it to the skin before you mount whatever. I have used this trick to reinforce wherever I need to. The patch can be a circle or rectangle with the corners radius-ed. Space the rivets reasonably. Pop rivets will work if you squeeze some sealant into the hole in the middle. Gutter seal works best. If you have access to Olympic rivets and the associated head shaving tools then you can use that instead for a more professional looking job. I use 50 thousandths skin material instead of the 30 thousandths material that is used on the Airstreams... You can buy a 1' square piece for under $10 plus shipping... That should make several such patches.
My awning was trying to pull its anchor screws out and I used this trick to make things very sturdy again. Done right it looks like it was supposed to be there.

Chuck