Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks that covers it for now.

We were hoping to avoid a taller mast/pole arrangement so it sounds like this system is an option.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #22
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Here are a couple of photos that show how we mounted our SureCall omni antennas:
http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog-As...ty/i-f3jw5zL/A
http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog-As...ty/i-DNL7ssq/A

We used these feet from AM Solar, two feet per SureCall Omni antenna: http://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/mounttl-5

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:33 AM   #23
2016 26U FC + 2011 LX570

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Our install of the Omni Directional antenna is very much same as Rocinante's install. His looks very nice - we also used a liberal spread of silkaflex. The only difference is we used the chrome metallic marine pass through connects for the cable seal from scanstrut (they're pretty nifty). Best
Debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:20 AM   #24
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
With apologies to the OP, I'd like to add a quick question rather than start a new thread. It may be pertinent to the OP as well.

With these types of amplifiers, how close to the indoor antenna do you need to be to get a signal? Can you be outside the trailer or does that present the same problem only in reverse?

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #25

Thanks for the kind words on our install.
Workable distance varies with the booster and the antenna you use for the boosted signal. We use a panel antenna vs. the candybar antenna that came with our WeBoost Drive 4G-X booster and that seems to work well inside the trailer, where our router picks up the boosted LTE signal. For around the campsite we use the Wi-Fi signal that comes out of our router, which we can rebroadcast via one of the SureCall omni antennas on the roof. Works great!

Old 12-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Limited
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
DW also works and needs Internet access when we camp. Given campground wi-fi is an oxymoron, we would not waste any money on a WiFi Ranger or anything like it.
Actually, there are some very good reasons to use a WiFiRanger type of device. First, you can set up "connection bonding" that connects to the slow park wifi, AND your 4G device, at the same time. It uses as much bandwidth as it can from the park wifi, and then "makes up" the difference of the speeds you need for whatever you are doing. At roughly $10/GB for cellular data, a mere 50GB saved pays for the cost of a device. On my last trip for 15 days, I was able to see that the WiFiRanger used 13GB of data from public sources, and I used 7GB on the Verizon jetpack. Doing the math, I've saved a lot over the time I've used it. It's also nice to be able to use it for big bulky updates and let it churn along all night connected to some far off, but slow signal.

Occasionally, I run into very fast park WiFi. At a site in McCall Idaho this last summer, I was given unlimited, free, 5x5Mb at the resort, and it rarely slowed down. Park was fairly full as well, so that is a pretty nice service, and I was able to catch up on a few Lost episodes on netflix. The catch, was that the 5x5Mb was in the office lobby, which I was able to connect to from my site with my outdoor unit on the roof. My laptops couldn't even see the signal, (because Airstreams are WiFi blockers...) and I didn't want to watch Jack & Locke duke it out in the lobby.

Park wifi may be slow at places, but it is often free bandwidth. If you can use it to augment your cellular device, and save money and ultimately data, then why not?
Aluminum03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #27
2016 26U FC + 2011 LX570

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
With apologies to the OP, I'd like to add a quick question rather than start a new thread. It may be pertinent to the OP as well.

With these types of amplifiers, how close to the indoor antenna do you need to be to get a signal? Can you be outside the trailer or does that present the same problem only in reverse?

Thanks.
Our SureCall booster amp came with a movable paddle antenna attached to the side and that rebroadcasts the amped up signal inside the airstream. I'd estimate it spreads a reliable signal 10-15 foot. Since it's placed mid-coach in the cabinet above the slide out micro, it provides good coverage throughout the 26U.

But since I use my Verizon mifi hotspot to make the wifi signal, I simply move the hotspot to wherever is most convenient to have a strong LTE signal (from the booster) and to provide a reasonably close wifi broadcast (for devices). If we want to use wifi outside, we put the hotspot by the window or the openned door.

The paddle antenna and our SureCall booster model does not provide a strong enough boosted LTE cell signal to pass through the aluminum skin. (You really wouldn't want that though because it can cause feedback interference with the inbound signal coming to the Omni directional antenna). But you could use an external antenna to rebroadcast the boosted LTE cell signal outside in pointed path away from the inbound signal. Sounds like Rocinante has done this successfully.
Debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
The set up I’ve been using for the past 5 years is a Cradlepoint router with the USB cellular modem along with a Wilson amplifier and roof-mounted cellular antenna.
First, the external roof mounted antenna on an AS works very well, as the ground-plane needed for the vertical antenna is the wonderful aluminum body. Co-incidentally, over the past 35 years in ham radio I’ve only had vertical antennae.
While the cellular modem I have is only 3G, it covers most of where I go, as 4G service is mainly in large urban areas.
My ISP is Verizon – yes, their coverage is superior. While my data cost has stayed the same since I first started with Verizon in 2008, the monthly data allowance has more than doubled, and now with the new carryover, I’ve finally got enough for my purposes.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:02 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
The set up I’ve been using for the past 5 years is a Cradlepoint router with the USB cellular modem along with a Wilson amplifier and roof-mounted cellular antenna.
First, the external roof mounted antenna on an AS works very well, as the ground-plane needed for the vertical antenna is the wonderful aluminum body. Co-incidentally, over the past 35 years in ham radio I’ve only had vertical antennae.
While the cellular modem I have is only 3G, it covers most of where I go, as 4G service is mainly in large urban areas.
My ISP is Verizon – yes, their coverage is superior. While my data cost has stayed the same since I first started with Verizon in 2008, the monthly data allowance has more than doubled, and now with the new carryover, I’ve finally got enough for my purposes.

Good choice on the cradle point but I think your a little behind on the 3G point. Everywhere rural I've been for the last couple years has had either no service or full 4G. Just in the last month I've been in rural Kansas, rural TN mountains, rural AR, and rural AL. I've had excellent Verizon 4G everywhere.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #30

Wifi for Wife -it has to be good!

We also use a Cradlepoint router IBR1100 LP6 which is pretty awesome. It supports LTE and LTE+ (LP6). That's a good thing, because it is also pretty spendy. 😱 Most folks go with a Pepwave and a usb-connected mi-fi device, which is less expensive and also works well.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #31
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
You know Millenicom is back offering TMobile service. Cheap...
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
We recently installed a WiFi Ranger. Works pretty well so far. But your still have to have some sort of open wifi to connect to.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:51 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I went a route that let me change setup in the future if needed. I installed a radio labs marine antenna on an extendable pole that I put together in 2 minutes and secure to bumper of AS. Cable runs to refrige access door where I installed a weatherproof usb pass through to the inside of AS. It goes to a usb repeater booster under seating by tv wall. Seams to work for me with very good boost.

DBLee and Southern Belle on the road
Old 11-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

crestview , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
You'd have to boondock near a Starbucks to get good Wifi. Cellular boosted, larger data plan are what you need. Supposedly there are people selling their transferable Verizon unlimited data plans for around $1000.

Kelvin
Where can I find these people? I would be willing to pay for that.
catesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #35

We have generally had good luck with coverage by using both Verizon and AT&T. For a while we had a router that held two SIMs, and we just switched back and forth between them depending on which one had better signal and remaining data that month. We put antennas on the roof and a panel antenna inside, and had reception when nobody else did. No, we never bought a sketchy grey-market Verizon UDP for a thousand bucks. The risks seemed far too high. So, we just got the best plans we could find and lived within those limits. We got luck at one point and nabbed an AT&T "unlimited" plan that's designed for a device called "Mobley." We still have the plan and the device, which we use once the hotspot data on our Verizon plan tops out across two different cell phones. One great place for info on plans and devices, often mentioned here, is https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ . That's where we found out about the Mobley plan, which we believe is no longer available, though ours is still working.

Old 11-30-2020, 06:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
We-boost DriveXRV Hotspot

You mentioned AT&T phones. I ran into this dilemma before heading out on my month long trip down south. I needed to be online working during the day. The kids like to stream a movie or two. Not sure what you have for a cell package. I have 100gb/month on my phone, my wife’s phone and one iPad. This gives us a total of 300gb/month. I then hotspot my computer and Apple TV to my phone or iPad. I purchased the we-boost Drive XRV...not the tall mast... install was a breeze!!! I used my exterior SAT connection for my exterior antenna. Installed the unit in the upper cabinet by the DVD player...no need to run coax. I then only mount the antenna when I need it using two small C-Clamps to the Awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	065469BA-D38B-494D-BC34-0A1D07A3C24D.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	384114   Click image for larger version

Name:	D44CFC79-0721-4D82-9DD5-E62CDA28801F.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	384115  

Click image for larger version

Name:	C9029B70-D38E-4C54-B3DF-05E2FB3CC6D0.jpeg