Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Wifi antenna and Cell phone question

Greetings

I have been working on a solution to communication for some time, at least the last few months. I finally have come to some conclusions based on advice from the 3G store tech help and Wilson, Inc.

My solution:

I was told that I can buy a single antenna to work both cell service and wifi depending on the need at the time. Happy Happy.

Also, I have discovered, thanks to a lead from a member here, about the Wilson Sleek. What is new news though is that next month they are scheduled to release a new updated version that adds 4G band 13 compatibility. Although I have an iPhone 4s (3G phone) the future can change things! I found that I can mount the antenna to the Wingman antenna! So, the antenna, the sleek and service should provide what I need for both improving Wifi when available and then augmenting that with cell phone service when needed. The iPhone will act as a hotspot too so it acts as a router to share Internet per se. It sounds like a plan that has been confirmed as a good one by both people who use the stuff as campers and also those who sell these items.

QUESTION:

Those familiar with the Airstream roof, what is one of the best ways to get wiring to the inside? I have to go from the Wingman to the interior with a coax-like wire. Also, I am going to do something about my backup camera different so this is an important concern that I look forward to some ideas on solving.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
What are your goals? I am an RF Engineer with both cellular and Wifi experience.
2ndflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I believe I have a solution for service (see post) but I am not sure the best way to bring the wiring into the coach.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
If you have an external TV antenna, then you need to determine where the wire terminates inside the AS. Use that wire to pull in another. If that is not possible then you could use a splitter to add the Wifi signal to the TV cable.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
You must be careful because the TV cable is 72 ohm while the cellular /Wifi is 50 ohm. What is the outside antenna spec for your suggested solution? If you have a manufacturer for the device, I can check it for you to be sure it is compatible.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
I looked at the specs for the sleek. I believe you will see some improvement in cellular service in weak signal areas but you will not see any improvement in WiFi signal because the sleek's bandwidth on the 1900 side does not cover the 2.4Ghz Wifi frequency range. To get an improvement in Wifi signal you must overcome the signal loss because of the shielding from the Airstream construction. I have found that an external antenna is the only way. An external patch antenna and separate cable would be required. you need two antennas and two cables.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Hey 2ndflats,
We're going to be hitting the road next year and I'm in the market for a good wifi solution. Since you have much experience, can you recommend one? Thanks!

Mike
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Yes, the plan is to use the Sleek 4G V for cellular service but use the external antenna for both the sleek and for an internal wireless repeater. That way, I can use one antenna for both depending on need - check local wifi first then move on to cellular mifi when needed.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I just purchased a PepWave SURF On The Go (SOTG) mobile router from the 3Gstore, and a Novatel MiFi 4510L with a 4G/3G, 10GB/10GB data plan from Millenicom. My original plan was to use campground or other free WiFi as WAN whenever possible, and the MiFi for secure communications and when boondocking. However, I now think that the MiFi and PepWave can be used almost exclusively, due to the ease of setup and Internet speed.

I am currently testing this setup at home and have modified the overall implementation plan. I am now testing the MiFi as the primary WAN source that feeds the PepWave SOTG via WiFi; and the SOTG feeds the WAN signal to our home D-Link router via CAT5. We have 4G service in Phoenix, and the MiFi/PepWave combo is two to three times faster than the DSL line previously connected to our home router.

I estimate our data usage to be less than 10GB per month; so if everything works out, at the end of June, I plan to cancel the DSL and two land lines for a savings of $35 per month. (We already have two cell phones for voice calls.) Then, the MiFi and PepWave will be the primary Internet source at home.

When we travel, the MiFi and PepWave SOTG will be moved to our pickup or Airstream for use as the mobile hotspot and router for all of the devices we use on the road.

As a backup plan for boondocking, I am looking at a Cyfre CA-819 amplifier/external antenna kit for the MiFi. However, all of our favorite boondocking spots have cell phone service; so the amp and antenna will wait until experience dictates their need.

In the first week of testing, the MiFi disconnected one time. Otherwise, use of the MiFi and PepWave have been transparent; and the only difference noted is faster Internet speed. Our first boondocking trip is coming up, so we'll see how much slower the 3G connection is. However, I do not anticipate any problems with the new setup while mobile.

(Edit: Sorry, if I hijacked this thread. If necessary, please move this to a separate topic.)
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I use a Wilson cell booster setup with the antenna on top of my flagpole. The wire enters the trailer through the "fuzzy" window arm slot in my front window. I make sure some of the wire hangs lower than the point it enters the window slot in order to make sure water doesn't come down the wire when it rains. So far it is working very well. If I were doing it again, I would purchase the interior phone cradle instead of the interior antenna. My phone works best when in direct contact with the antenna instead of being able to walk around inside the trailer as I had intended to.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
The RVers Internet Choice
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91208 View Post
Hey 2ndflats,
We're going to be hitting the road next year and I'm in the market for a good wifi solution. Since you have much experience, can you recommend one? Thanks!

Mike
Theres some good info here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ead-90596.html on topic, and directly addressing the "no new wire issue."
Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
My solution, which works well for me, is:

1 - I have a 1/4-wave antenna mounted on the roof (just in front of the fan/vent). The aluminum skin is a great ground plane for the Wilson 1/4-wave antenna. The co-ax wire feeding the antenna is inside the wall and exits just under the street-side gaucho cushion.

2 - The antenna co-ax is attached to a Wilson amplifier which rests on the floor under the street-side gaucho cushion. I had a 12-volt socket mounted on the side under the gaucho cushion where I plug in the power plug from the Wilson amplifier. The power plug has a switch with a small red LED to indicate that I have switched the amplifier on. The "pickup" antenna for the amplifier is attached to the small portion of wall just under the window and above the folding table - it can hardly be seen.

3 - I use a Cradlepoint router that I place on the ledge of the window just above the Wilson "pickup" with a Verizon aircard.

This setup provides me with both connectivity in marginal areas (for example, at the Lake Mead NRA campground I had no service until I switched on the Wilson amplifier) and a wireless network in my trailer which allows me to use both Windows and Linux notebooks and connect wirelessly to a printer.

The pickup antenna had a range of about 2 feet, so in marginal areas, I have my cell phone within the 2-foot limit and use a bluetooth connection to it.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Ok I am revisiting this again. Some of you asked about specs. Here is the antenna that I want to mount. Note that it has broad applications. Also, I thought about mounting it on the Winegard antenna rod below the TV antenna. My issue is that I need some advice on how to get the new antenna wire into the stream. I have not found how the TV antenna enters and where it goes so any help on that would be great. Here is the site on the antenna:

http://3gstore.com/product/2875_wils...na.htmlhttp://

Here is the new booster model that a forum member recommended for mifi boosting:

Wilson Sleek 4G #815326

The 3G store told me that I can use the same antenna for wifi boosting since it also covers the 2400mHz range.

Anyone have a clue as to how much cable is needed to get from the roof Wingard antenna area to the front right roof locker? I just have no idea where the coax stuff is in the wall.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Why do you want to reinvent the wheel?
WiFiRanger has done all the engineering on this and results in a simple install on any Airstream or any other brand.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Ok I am revisiting this again. Some of you asked about specs. Here is the antenna that I want to mount. Note that it has broad applications. Also, I thought about mounting it on the Winegard antenna rod below the TV antenna. My issue is that I need some advice on how to get the new antenna wire into the stream. I have not found how the TV antenna enters and where it goes so any help on that would be great. Here is the site on the antenna:

http://3gstore.com/product/2875_wils...na.htmlhttp://

Here is the new booster model that a forum member recommended for mifi boosting:

Wilson Sleek 4G #815326

The 3G store told me that I can use the same antenna for wifi boosting since it also covers the 2400mHz range.

Anyone have a clue as to how much cable is needed to get from the roof Wingard antenna area to the front right roof locker? I just have no idea where the coax stuff is in the wall.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
On a side note regarding wires, I will add that when I bought my stream, the outside radio antenna on the roof (black flexible type) was missing and the metal around the mounting opening was bent. The mount screw was down into the hole and I was unable to find the wire location in the wall so I just mounted and sealed a new antenna on the mount screw. I mention this because I have as of yet to find where ANY coax type cable runs in the walls of my AS. I had the roof vent out but saw nothing and also took the roof locker access panel off to the radio only to find wires running off in oblivion. My radio is mounted in the front right upper locker. Above that on the roof is the Winegard antenna and the radio antenna is mounted in the middle of the top front (about 4 feet from the radio locker) My model does not have factory AV options in the locker. I added them in the credenza where the TV wire shows up.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Why do you want to reinvent the wheel?
WiFiRanger has done all the engineering on this and results in a simple install on any Airstream or any other brand.

Dave
Yes, well, when I did some digging on the WiFi Ranger solution, there was quite a bit of negative information on it and their product reviews were low AND the 3G store rep told me of issues.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Many people, myself included just run the wire down the refrigerator vent. I did this for my solar panel.
However, I wanted to keep the wire short for my cell phone to minimize loss so I just drilled straight through the inner and outer skins over the location were I wanted to sit while using the cell phone.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #18
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
In my short 2 months of WiFiSky experience, I can say I am extremely happy with it. It is just a matter of using and gaining familiarity with it. There is now more information on their website for questions.
Can be mounted anywhere with simple modifications in the field.

Dave

Quote:
Yes, well, when I did some digging on the WiFi Ranger solution, there was quite a bit of negative information on it and their product reviews were low AND the 3G store rep told me of issues.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Thanks. When I first started looking into this I was advised by some on the forum about the WiFi Master system, that they were happy with theirs. Then when I went forward I was met with differing advise. One thing I am looking at is a potential twofold antenna solution. Originally when I shared that I wanted to boost WiFi signal strength AND get a MiFi solution via a data card. The advice I got told me that I would have to have two separate antennas for each need and various other equipment. Then later discussions with 3G store reps led me to this one antenna that I was told would do most of both WiFI and Mifi signals but be directional. I liked that solution and thought that I could mount it on the Winegard antenna rod that turns via the roof handle.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
The RVers Internet Choice
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Thanks. When I first started looking into this I was advised by some on the forum about the WiFi Master system, that they were happy with theirs. Then when I went forward I was met with differing advise. One thing I am looking at is a potential twofold antenna solution. Originally when I shared that I wanted to boost WiFi signal strength AND get a MiFi solution via a data card. The advice I got told me that I would have to have two separate antennas for each need and various other equipment. Then later discussions with 3G store reps led me to this one antenna that I was told would do most of both WiFI and Mifi signals but be directional. I liked that solution and thought that I could mount it on the Winegard antenna rod that turns via the roof handle.
On your wiring, be careful of the length. It's not just a "wire" but a RF cable, meaning it will have to carry the signal from the outside to the inside. The assumption that an outdoor antenna, with a coax cable into the coach, that will help for both WiFi and 3/4G is not accurate. You will have to have an amplifier inside to counter the losses in the RF cable, and a single amplifier will not handle 3/4G cellular modulation, and WiFi modulation. If you put a 3-5db gain antenna outside, and run 25ft of LMR-100 (commonly used) will drop apx 4.5db in the cable, and .5db for each connection. Resulting loss, is 5db which will all but cancel out any benefit.

See this for info on cable loss:
Coaxial cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The amps for cellular will work fine if you keep the cable short, and have a good high-gain antenna. But keep in mind, a simple passive antenna strategically located inside the coach will work for about 99% of the USA.