Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #21
The RVers Internet Choice
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Yes, well, when I did some digging on the WiFi Ranger solution, there was quite a bit of negative information on it and their product reviews were low AND the 3G store rep told me of issues.
Early WiFiRanger experiences were, well early. We were breaking ground on some un-charted things. The latest products are extremely easy to use, and much simpler to operate than others.

The 3G store no longer carries our product. We decided that we can support customers better directly, reduce middlemen, and as such brought all distribution in house. Since they don't sell it, they probably will not recommend it. Their experience with the product is about a year old, so they have no current knowledge of the capabilities or how well it works.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
On your wiring, be careful of the length. It's not just a "wire" but a RF cable, meaning it will have to carry the signal from the outside to the inside. The assumption that an outdoor antenna, with a coax cable into the coach, that will help for both WiFi and 3/4G is not accurate. You will have to have an amplifier inside to counter the losses in the RF cable, and a single amplifier will not handle 3/4G cellular modulation, and WiFi modulation.
On this note, I was told to buy the "low loss" special cable (which I referrred to as a wire), run it up to no more than 20' if possible and use the SLEEK's external antenna connection for hookup to the antenna mounted on the WineGard rod. This setup would function as the cell boosting signal. IF a WiFi signal was present, the SLEEK would be disconnected from the antenna and a WiFi device connected to the antenna. I saved the cart on the website with the suggested "device" but offhand do not remember what it is. It also acts as a router I believe inside the coach.

Obviously I am not trying to be brand loyal but seek options and solutions. I note that some here are sellers of a product that I am openly sharing my findings with including negatives. I am not "against" any product at this point but trying to zero in on what to get.

Quote:
The 3G store no longer carries our product. We decided that we can support customers better directly, reduce middlemen, and as such brought all distribution in house. Since they don't sell it, they probably will not recommend it.
Understood. It is logical to assume that they would support their products. Your product sounds like it covers 2/3rds of the Internet connection goal. How do your customers deal with weak cell signals where no WiFi is present? (the other 3rd) Will the SLEEK work with an aircard solution simultaneously used by your Ranger Go? What about the antenna for the SLEEK?
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndflats View Post
I looked at the specs for the sleek. I believe you will see some improvement in cellular service in weak signal areas but you will not see any improvement in WiFi signal because the sleek's bandwidth on the 1900 side does not cover the 2.4Ghz Wifi frequency range. To get an improvement in Wifi signal you must overcome the signal loss because of the shielding from the Airstream construction. I have found that an external antenna is the only way. An external patch antenna and separate cable would be required. you need two antennas and two cables.
You are correct 2ndflats. My plan is to use the SLEEK only for cellular boosting and disconnect the antenna cable to a WiFi router device with external antenna jack when WiFi is present. In other words, try WiFi first, then move to SLEEK and cellular as a backup for Internet.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
The antenna is the Wilson directional 301157. The frequency range is:

700-800 / 824-894 / 880-890 / 1710-1880 / 1850-1990 / 2110-2500mhz
Old 07-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Rodsterninfl,

In an earlier post, you mentioned that you were considering using a MiFi for a cellular data connection. Is that still your intention?

If so, the MiFi is a WiFi hotspot. The Wilson Sleek booster amplifier and antenna is designed to receive and transmit the cellular frequency signals the MiFi uses to connect to a cell phone network (Verizon, Sprint, ATT, etc.).

You can then use the WiFiRanger to connect to either campground or other free WiFi, or to connect to the MiFi's WiFi signal; either of which will provide an Internet connection through the WiFiRanger using "WiFi as WAN".

Note: The mobile broadband setup I have uses a MiFi connected via "WiFi as WAN" to a PepWave SURF On-The-Go (SOTG) mobile router, and it works fine in this configuration. I would think the WiFiRanger would work equally well in a similar setup.

Please sent me a PM, if you would like to discuss details further.

Thanks,
Phoenix
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote