Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tampa , Florida
Wi-Fi.

This will be easy for you experienced travelers.
Do you find the Wi-Fi signal is blocked by the metal exterior? The signal that many campgrounds provide free.
Sitting duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
It has not been a problem for me.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Generally wi-fi in a campground is a bit of a myth. If they have a signal, and you can get it inside your AS, you will generally be disappointed in speed, connection reliability, etc. Even setting up something like a WiFI Ranger to boost the connection usually has disappointing results. The CG usually doesn't have adequate bandwidth coming into their park for the 50-100+ folks that all want to be on wi-fi at the same time. Add to that folks that then want to stream their favorite movie or TV show and you can imagine the challenge.

So it is a miracle when it works but have an alternative like a MiFI puck or cellphone with a data plan if you rely on a good connection.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yes, frequently all it's good for is mail. But this September in the Canadian Maritimes we had great wifi. I streamed netflix with no problem. The campgrounds were practically empty but they told its that good all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We can usually get the campground signal just fine in the Airstream. Very often there is no usable Internet on it. Most often we use our own wifi hot spot from our Verizon smart phones.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We have the panorama windows by the dinette and that's where we sit when using CG wifi inside the trailer. We've rarely noticed any degradation in the signal or usability of the wifi as compared to sitting at a picnic table right outside the door. The wifi's usability is usually more affected by how many other people are online, how many repeaters the CG has used and of course the speed of the CG's internet service.

Having said all this, we often will use our JetPack even if there is CG wifi because the CG wifi speed is usually pretty poor with 100 people watching Netflicks.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
The Otter Box on my iPhone causes more problems with WiFi than the AS....
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Sittingduck: We report mixed results with camp ground WiFi service. The aluminum shell of the Airstream doesn't seem to make much difference.

We rely more and more on internet service and cell phone connectivity making traveling so much easier than the old Woodalls and pay phones at fuel stops. We find the cell phone company data package and hot spot device works pretty well. Maybe 10% of the time we can't get a good cell signal and we are still without internet access.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
No it does not in our case, however, WiFi in campgrounds is not secure, therefore if you are using their signal to do banking and paying of bills like we do your laptop and all it's information is open. We instead use a VPN our son set up, we log on through his home VPN and use our own WiFi off our Verizon tablet and we are as secure as we believe we can be while traveling.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
This is always a problem for us. Essentially, if encryption involves a password, how do you distribute the password without compromise? It's pretty straightforward to come up with a very secure system, but that very security is threatened by the act of handing out the password. Certainly, we've found our password in the hands of folks to whom we did not ourselves distribute it.

One solution I've thought about it is a kind of double system: The main, park-wide system would be only poorly protected, the password easily available, kind of like we've seen at other places. The secondary system would involve only an unamplified signal from a second router with tough encryption. Folks would have to come up to the office to use it, and we'd do the computer set-up ourselves. And, of course, change the password fairly often. In this way, if folks want to do banking, we'd provide a secure way for them to do it, but not via the less secure, park-wide system.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
No it does not in our case, however, WiFi in campgrounds is not secure, therefore if you are using their signal to do banking and paying of bills like we do your laptop and all it's information is open. We instead use a VPN our son set up, we log on through his home VPN and use our own WiFi off our Verizon tablet and we are as secure as we believe we can be while traveling.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
One solution I've thought about it is a kind of double system: The main, park-wide system would be only poorly protected, the password easily available, kind of like we've seen at other places. The secondary system would involve only an unamplified signal from a second router with tough encryption. Folks would have to come up to the office to use it, and we'd do the computer set-up ourselves. And, of course, change the password fairly often. In this way, if folks want to do banking, we'd provide a secure way for them to do it, but not via the less secure, park-wide system.
Even easier. Secure system in the office/lodge/wherever can be ethernet, not WiFi. That way, only the people who are physically plugged in can use it. You have total control.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
My experience is most CG have limitations on how much data one IP address can download and once this is met the CG's system turns off or severally limits the bandwidth available to that particular address. As I upload large photographic filed, this has always been a problem. Thus, I went with Verizon Hot Spot, service is available in almost any area there is cellular service. Cost is about $50/month and up, but gives me service virtually in all places. I use this in any place where the "WiFi" is less than ideal.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have found that most campground wifi is junk. We use our own hotspot through our Verizon smartphones. We create our hotspot through an Android App called FoxFi without any monthly payment to Verizon. We have been using this app for about five years now. It works great and is much more secure than any campground wifi.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
WiFi from the campground has been hit or miss. Sometimes it's poor strength, sometimes it's a limited number of users or it's just plain slow.

I carry my own WiFi hotspot from Verizon. The downside is it's subject to cellular reception which affects speed. The Airstream also restricts cellular reception.

Typically a hotspot device performs a little better than a hotspot cell phone since it's a single function device. The one I'm carrying now has 10 hour battery life, can either broadcast WiFi on the 5GHz or 2.4GHz, can provide WiFi to up to 15 devices and has a port that can provide a battery charge for another device.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
iPhone hotspot

Over the past three years, I think we have only taken the computer with us twice, each time on week long trips. The latest time, we took our new MacBook Pro with us and I had the need to do something on the internets and used my iPhone as a personal hotspot. Really easy and worked well.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
kansas city , Missouri
We have had hit and miss with CG wifi so we added a boster and it really works for us and I think it adds a level of security.

"Pepwave surf 200"
Be sure to set it up with a password!
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Whatever they have doesn't matter to me, I'm probably not going to use it.

I use my hot spot. It works well for my emails and I can get on the internet. That's really all I care about anyway.

But, I hear that my next Chevy truck will have kick ass wifi.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I'm replacing the old TV antenna with a crank up dual Yagi version, especially for Wi-Fi.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #19
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I found that the WiFi Ranger made a big difference in signal strength....but as noted by just about everyone, campgrounds who advertise wireless access (in general) are a far distance from what you would find in a hotel/motel. They just do not provide adequate bandwidth to do much more than email. It can be very frustrating to do route planning or any modest web surfing. Forget trying to watch Netflix or any streaming video.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Over the past three years, I think we have only taken the computer with us twice, each time on week long trips. The latest time, we took our new MacBook Pro with us and I had the need to do something on the internets and used my iPhone as a personal hotspot. Really easy and worked well.
Goal15, please clarify….Are you saying you just use your iPhone when you need to get on the internet? Or, does the iPhone act as the hotspot device to help connect your Mac to WiFi? We both have iPhones & an iPad & MacBook Air. Can we use our phones to connect our other devices when the cg signal is not good? How? We would like to be able to do this.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote