Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Weboost install

Considering buying a Weboost 4G system for my 22' Sport. Anyone have advice on install? I understand there is an external antenna that needs to be wired from the inside unit. I would guess the power for the unit would be hooked up to my 12V plug near the stereo. Any advise on how to do an install that at least sort of hides the wiring? I'm guessing wiring would go through the window? Or can you just place the antenna outside when I need to once I get to camp? Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated.
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Fyi: weboost is the new branding for the Wilson booster range. I have the Wilson 4G booster and it works great. I had it installed as I did not want to cut holes on the roof of my shiny new home!!!
Old 05-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
Fyi: weboost is the new branding for the Wilson booster range. I have the Wilson 4G booster and it works great. I had it installed as I did not want to cut holes on the roof of my shiny new home!!!

May I ask who did your install? Local Airstream dealer?
Old 05-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Weboost install

I keep my Airstream at a campground year round, and noticed that when I upgraded to an iPhone from my old flip phone I no longer had a signal in the rear bedroom. I installed a 4g booster for small homes and now I have a great signal throughout the trailer. I mounted the outdoor antenna in a front window and ran the coax behind seating and the fridge to the rear bedroom, where the booster and indoor antenna are installed. About 20 ft of separation is needed from the booster and external antenna, so this works pretty well. I did have to dial down the booster manually a little since more separation is preferred, but it still improved my signal significantly for both voice and data.

Wilson Electronics - 460101 DT 4G - Cell Phone Signal Booster for Small Home or Office
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I use weBoost products, along with Sure Call antennas and ultra low loss cables in almost every large solar installation that I do now. Makes sense to put them in when everything is apart and accessible.

Try 3Gstore.com, 3G/4G Routers, 3G/4G Antennas, 3G/4G Amplifiers & Boosters, Data Cards, WiFi, Data, IP Switch & CloudCam They are a great source for all things cellular and are nice folks too!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Airstream adventures in Galdstone (SE Portland). They did a great job, very happy. A number of forum members have had positive experiences with them.

I bought all the gear from 3G store as Lewster outlined, booked an appointment and about 3 hours later it was all done!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Great thanks. That's where I bought my airstream! Mind if I ask how much was the cost for install?
Old 05-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Another ? I had was regarding signal amplification. I assume the Weboost only helps with your 4G signal 'inside' the trailer but not 'outside' correct? What if you are nearby? Sometimes I'm just sitting outside the trailer as my kids nap mid day. Would it help in that situation?
Old 05-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaeha View Post
Another ? I had was regarding signal amplification. I assume the Weboost only helps with your 4G signal 'inside' the trailer but not 'outside' correct? What if you are nearby? Sometimes I'm just sitting outside the trailer as my kids nap mid day. Would it help in that situation?
Nope. Not unless you want to get fancy with your antenna's or buy one of the indoor systems and modify it. (which some do)

If you buy the cradle kit, your device has to be in the cradle. If you by the mobile 4G-M it has to be within 2-3 ft of the internal antenna. And that antenna must be 4-5 ft from the external antenna.

You can use other antenna's and cable, but just know, an antenna like this one here I installed in my Airstream runs upwards of $90

I have external antenna's as well for boosting, cell and wifi.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Close to buying the 4G-X for my 22 sport. On the 3gstore site they have options for an alternative antenna. They said the outdoor directional would get the best results but I'm worried that will require more of a 'permanent' install. I was thinking of buying the optional 12" magnetic antenna. It will likely not have the power of the directional but would allow me to use a suction cup metal mount that I can set up outside my kitchen window when I reach my destination. Anyone have any thoughts or comments?
Old 06-25-2015, 11:41 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
I got the Proxicast omni-directional antenna for my install. It is part number ANT-127-001. Could not be happier with the performance.

I zip-tied it to the TV antenna mast in such a way that it stands off a bit and doesn't interfere with anything. It is light enough that I am not concerned about any other ill effects of sharing the mount.

I also got the Wilson 400 ultra-low loss cable, PN WA952320 plus the appropriate adapters for each end.

I ran the cable into the vent stack and drilled a hole to bring it into the cabin, then taped and zip-tied the hole shut. All in all, no holes of any consequence and a hidden install!
bbdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Very interested in the Weboost for our FC 23D and will have Bay Area Airstream install.

A couple questions:

How does this differ from the wifiranger system?

Which model/antenna should I get from the 3G store?
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
The Wilson/Weboost amplifiers discussed here only boost cellular signals, not WiFi.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
So now the question is am I better of with a cell or wifi booster? Assume if cell I then use a hot spot?
Old 03-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Yes, you can set up a hotspot with your phone if you've got additional devices you want to connect via wifi.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
That sounds good. Will have to do the trades on cost using a cell booster and a hot spot vs just a wifi booster.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I've found my 3g/4g service to generally be faster than most wifi set ups at campgrounds, so I often turn off the wifi on my phone to prevent it from constantly locking in the slow wifi connection.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Agree. Given that back to my original question:

What weboost equipment do I need for a professional install?
Old 03-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
Agree. Given that back to my original question:

What weboost equipment do I need for a professional install?
The WeBoost cell amplifier is a very popular addition to the solar charging systems that I install. use either the 4G-M or more powerful 4G-X amplifier, Wilson's 400 ultra low loss cable and the Sure Call Omni outdoor antenna.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
My thinking is, if you are constantly stealth camping the WIFI booster is good to have. I guess its hard to sleuth camp with an Airstream. Pick up Starbucks, hotels and retailers WIFI. Majority of campground WIFI is limited so no need there. I would invest in cellular boost vs WIFI first then consider adding WIFI if you find you could use it.

I don't have either so I may be way off in this analysis.

Kelvin