Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
My Weboost 4GM and Version Jetpack 4G LTE are a great combo, especially when I place the Jetpack near the candy bar (interior) antenna. I can go from one or two bars to four or five bars consistently.

I mounted this Wilson 12 inch antenna https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/12-...a-male-311125/ on the roof at the rear of the trailer. It sits on a powder coated 8x8 inch steel plate that is attached using 3M exterior adhesive strips. I applied caulk around the edges of the plate.

I've been on the road for six weeks through California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Yukon and Alaska. I use the Jetpack everywhere but Canada, however the Weboost gives great signal boost on the cell phones in Canada.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
So I'm a newbie when comes to the concept of the Jetpack. So it functions as a 'booster' for the internal antenna? So with a weak signal from the internal candy bar it will boost/increase the signal to your phone?
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Weboost install

No. The Jetpack is a Verizon brand name for a cellular hotspot.

The weBoost is supposed to boost cellular signals. So whether it's a Jetpack or a cellphone, the weBoost will boost the cellular signal they get.

The Jetpack and or the cellphones connect to the weBoost using the internal "candy bar" antenna of the weBoost. The weBoost connects to the cellular network with the external antenna.

In theory, the weBoost will boost the signal reception of connected cellular devices, like the Jetpack. For me it didn't work. It doesn't always. There has to be a signal to boost. YMMV.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Make sure that your external antenna has a proper ground pane. It must be mounted on a metal surface in order for the antenna to function properly. I upgraded to a taller 12 inch Wilson antenna than the one included in the weBoost 4G kit.

An yes.....you must have a signal to boost. I've turned a weak Verizon 1x signal to usable 3G on a regular basis.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Omni Antenna Install

Newbie here.

I've just purchased a 2017 FC 25' and will pick it up next week

The first mod will be the installation of a WeBoost 4G-X and the SureCall omni antenna. Anyone have any suggestions on how to mount the antenna? I'll be able to take a close look at the AC hardware to see if there's a suitable point once I take possession but for now I'm looking for ideas.

I'd like to use the provided L bracket as it provides the base plate. See pic of the hardware.

TIA, Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SureCall Omni 2.png
Views:	266
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	268303  
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
I was testing out the 4G-X and our Surecall antenna last weekend at our storage facility (covered on top) and was seeing the bottom 2 lights blink red. Not sure if that was because we were in a covered spot? Anyone have good experience with this setup?
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I installed the same omni on the corner of a solar panel, however the very thick cable presented routing problems. Instead I installed a Wilson 12 inch antenna on a 8 inch square powder coated steel plate mounted on the rear roof of my 23. The thin cable that comes with the 12 inch is much easier to route. I temporarily surface mounted it and ran through the fridge vent.

I'm on my way back from Alaska and have used the 4G everywhere where there is even an extended 1x signal. It will normally boost a one dot 3G to a 2 or 3, a 2 dot to 4 or 5 and the same with 4G LTE. I'll even get two or three dots out of zero dots if there is one dot a hundred yards away.

If you intend to have solar mounted on your new trailer you might consider having your booster antennas cables routed at the same time.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
I was testing out the 4G-X and our Surecall antenna last weekend at our storage facility (covered on top) and was seeing the bottom 2 lights blink red.
From the manual "Blinking Red, Then Solid Green indicates that the booster has shut off on the associated frequencies to prevent oscillation (feedback). This indicates that one or more of the booster bands has reduced power due a feedback loop condition called oscillation. This is a built in safety feature to prevent harmful interference with a nearby cell tower. Refer to the Troubleshooting section."

And this "Relocate the inside and outside antenna further from each other. The objective is to increase the separation distance between them, so that they will not create this feedback condition discussed before."
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
I saw that in the manual. The Surecall is on the aft end of my AC cover and the inside antenna is in the cabinet over the table at the front of the AS. Should be plenty of separation.

Any chance the roof on the storage facility is causing interference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
From the manual "Blinking Red, Then Solid Green indicates that the booster has shut off on the associated frequencies to prevent oscillation (feedback). This indicates that one or more of the booster bands has reduced power due a feedback loop condition called oscillation. This is a built in safety feature to prevent harmful interference with a nearby cell tower. Refer to the Troubleshooting section."

And this "Relocate the inside and outside antenna further from each other. The objective is to increase the separation distance between them, so that they will not create this feedback condition discussed before."
Old 08-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #90
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
I have the 4g-x in my house, and the original 4g mobile in the airstream. I would have serious concerns about the ability to get enough separation with the 4G-x as it is powerful enough to cover up to 1500 square feet. In other words, it may be too much for your space.

At the house, the antenna is outside and a good 40 feet away from the 4G-X.

In the airstream, I have my 4G mobile jacked in to a WiFi hotspot from ATT - Verizon sells them too. That works perfectly for me as I can use Skype to make calls instead of the phone and so far, that has worked out every time.

Hope this helps - let us know if you can get the 4G-X working!
bbdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Bay Area Airstream has done several of these installs and would only install the 4G-X. I am reaching out to them to see if others have had this problem...
Old 08-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #92
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
I am mistaken! I have the Home 4G, which does 1500 square feet. Otherwise accurate post
bbdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
That makes more sense. The dealer definitely did not want to put that high power one in! A lot of people on here have the 4G-X/ Surecall setup so maybe it is a simple fix or due to being under cover at an Interstate Storage facility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdo View Post
I am mistaken! I have the Home 4G, which does 1500 square feet. Otherwise accurate post
Old 08-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Still looking for advice on the flashing red lights. The dealer said that they talked to Weboost support and went through a bunch of checks together to convince themselves it is still boosting well.

When I called Weboost I got the "not enough antenna separation"...

There are several of us on here with this setup and I welcome the real feedback.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #95
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I had that problem several times with the 4 G-X system that I have in my Sprinter service van. My indoor antenna is 12' from the outdoor Surecall, but the tech said that feedback (red/green flashing) can also occur if the amplifier is too close to the outdoor antenna.

I increased this distance and the problem went away, so I would assume that there is something to this.

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:22 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
My band 2 and band 4 are green. Not sure if that matters for Verizon?
Old 08-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I use weBoost products, along with Sure Call antennas and ultra low loss cables in almost every large solar installation that I do now. Makes sense to put them in when everything is apart and accessible.

Try 3Gstore.com, 3G/4G Routers, 3G/4G Antennas, 3G/4G Amplifiers & Boosters, Data Cards, WiFi, Data, IP Switch & CloudCam They are a great source for all things cellular and are nice folks too!
Lester, do you specifically use the Sure Call 9.5" Omni antenna with a weBoost 4G-X? How do you connect the antenna to the Airstream's roof? The bracket included with the antenna seems to need a right angled foot. Finally, what type of cable do you recommend and do you seal the connection to protect from weather? Thanks.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:53 PM   #98
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
Lester, do you specifically use the Sure Call 9.5" Omni antenna with a weBoost 4G-X? How do you connect the antenna to the Airstream's roof? The bracket included with the antenna seems to need a right angled foot. Finally, what type of cable do you recommend and do you seal the connection to protect from weather? Thanks.
I typically run the Wilson Ultra Low Loss 400 series cable from the Sure Call Omni antenna thru the roof mounted combiner box when I add solar to the Interstates. It is sort of a package, and I have not installed a Surecall/4G-X system as a stand-alone system yet.

The Omni is mounted to the roof using a pair of tall solar panel mounting feet from AM Solar by using the same technique that we use for mounting our solar panels.....NO HOLES!!!!

Look here for the feet: http://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/mounttl-5
Old 08-16-2016, 05:26 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Any additional adhesive needed for those feet?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #100
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
Any additional adhesive needed for those feet?
3M VHB tape #4950 with a cover of SikaFlex 221 polyurethane sealant. Works like a charm every time...........