Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-16-2016, 05:26 AM   #99
Rivet Master
 
KYAirstream's Avatar
 
1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 622
Any additional adhesive needed for those feet?
__________________

__________________
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #100
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
Any additional adhesive needed for those feet?
3M VHB tape #4950 with a cover of SikaFlex 221 polyurethane sealant. Works like a charm every time...........
__________________

__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
My band 2 and band 4 are green. Not sure if that matters for Verizon?


Anyone know which bands are Verizon?
__________________
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #102
Rivet Master
 
kscherzi's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,118
Images: 24
Has anyone tried this setup from weBoost for $499?

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/web...Fc5lfgodFLoCcQ

I'm thinking of installing the large external antenna onto the crank up TV antenna. Any fatal flaw's to this idea? On my 27FB this would then make sense to route the cable down the fridge vent. The dilemma I see is where to put the little internal antenna. I read that it has barely any transmit range at all. What's your experience?
__________________
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #103
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Has anyone tried this setup from weBoost for $499?

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/web...Fc5lfgodFLoCcQ

I'm thinking of installing the large external antenna onto the crank up TV antenna. Any fatal flaw's to this idea? On my 27FB this would then make sense to route the cable down the fridge vent. The dilemma I see is where to put the little internal antenna. I read that it has barely any transmit range at all. What's your experience?
I would think about adding this: https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wil...75-ohm-311155/ as your indoor antenna. It has a greatly increased range over the candy bar antenna that is offered as standard equipment with the 4G-X.

Also look at the SureCall Omni outdoor antenna rather than a trucker antenna: http://3gstore.com/product/3047_3g4g...i-antenna.html
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #104
Rivet Master
 
kscherzi's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,118
Images: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I would think about adding this: https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wil...75-ohm-311155/ as your indoor antenna. It has a greatly increased range over the candy bar antenna that is offered as standard equipment with the 4G-X.

Also look at the SureCall Omni outdoor antenna rather than a trucker antenna: http://3gstore.com/product/3047_3g4g...i-antenna.html
Thanks, this is very helpful. I have another question regarding placement of the internal antenna that you recommend. According to spec's its directional, so I ought to place in a way to aim the signal towards the area where cell phones are most likely to be used, in my case the dinette area. It's not the most attractive thing to hang on the wall (I'm sure my wife will have an opinion), so can the internal antenna be placed into a cabinet without much signal loss? Maybe the coat closet?

Maybe the ideal location would be placement in the upper cabinet at the rear of the trailer facing forward, but in my 27FB I have no idea how to snake a cable into that cabinet without drilling a hole from the outside. So I think I'm constrained to placement of the antenna in the middle of the trailer and pointing it to to the rear, leaving the bedroom area without much signal. I may just have to buy the equipment, then using tape, experiment with placement.
__________________
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #105
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Thanks, this is very helpful. I have another question regarding placement of the internal antenna that you recommend. According to spec's its directional, so I ought to place in a way to aim the signal towards the area where cell phones are most likely to be used, in my case the dinette area. It's not the most attractive thing to hang on the wall (I'm sure my wife will have an opinion), so can the internal antenna be placed into a cabinet without much signal loss? Maybe the coat closet?

Maybe the ideal location would be placement in the upper cabinet at the rear of the trailer facing forward, but in my 27FB I have no idea how to snake a cable into that cabinet without drilling a hole from the outside. So I think I'm constrained to placement of the antenna in the middle of the trailer and pointing it to to the rear, leaving the bedroom area without much signal. I may just have to buy the equipment, then using tape, experiment with placement.
I play most of mine on the ceiling of the trailer/Interstate in a central location. Wilson has a nice ceiling mount kit that works well for this. Use it with 4 rivets and it looks great as well.
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #106
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I typically run the Wilson Ultra Low Loss 400 series cable from the Sure Call Omni antenna thru the roof mounted combiner box when I add solar to the Interstates. It is sort of a package, and I have not installed a Surecall/4G-X system as a stand-alone system yet.

The Omni is mounted to the roof using a pair of tall solar panel mounting feet from AM Solar by using the same technique that we use for mounting our solar panels.....NO HOLES!!!!

Look here for the feet: http://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/mounttl-5
Lewster, thanks for your reply. Several follow-up questions:

1) I understand that the ultra low loss cable is very thick (diameter like a man's thumb). Any issues snaking the cable from the roof to a 2016 Airstream Classic's cabinet above the dinette? and

2) What length of cable do you recommend from back end of roof to the Classic's cabinet? Would 20 feet be sufficient? Or should I go with 50 feet and cut to desired length?

Thanks again. Regards, Dennis
__________________
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #107
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,251
Weboost install

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
Lewster, thanks for your reply. Several follow-up questions:



1) I understand that the ultra low loss cable is very thick (diameter like a man's thumb). Any issues snaking the cable from the roof to a 2016 Airstream Classic's cabinet above the dinette? and



2) What length of cable do you recommend from back end of roof to the Classic's cabinet? Would 20 feet be sufficient? Or should I go with 50 feet and cut to desired length?



Thanks again. Regards, Dennis

I always run the ULL cable through either the roof fridge vent or AM Solar's roof mounted combiner box so I have no direct experience with the cabinet area you describe.

I usually cut the ULL cables to length and add a new end. Requires a much smaller hole this way.


Lew Farber
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #108
Rivet Master
 
kscherzi's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,118
Images: 24
Over the weekend I managed to hook up a large external antenna to the crank up TV antenna, extending it about two feet above the TV antenna. It lays flat when the TV antenna is cranked down. Pulling the cable down the fridge vent to a cabinet was fairly straightforward where it's connected to the Weboost 4-GX and Hershey bar indoor antenna. But I have a question about performance.

With no amplification and sitting inside the trailer while parked in the storage yard, my phone reads about -115 dBm. Amplifier turned on it goes to -83 dBm, but only if the phone is literally laying on top of the Hershey bar antenna. If the phone is more than 12" away from the Hershey bar antenna no amplification is realized. At 6" distance, performance is seriously degraded. Is this normal? Would a indoor antenna like the one below be significantly better? In other words, fill most of the interior of the Airstream with a significantly amplified and usable cell signal (i.e. 83 dBm per above experiment)? Downsides? Just not excited about spending another $100 to increase range from one foot to two feet.

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wil...50-ohm-311135/
__________________
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #109
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I typically run the Wilson Ultra Low Loss 400 series cable from the Sure Call Omni antenna thru the roof mounted combiner box when I add solar to the Interstates. It is sort of a package, and I have not installed a Surecall/4G-X system as a stand-alone system yet.

The Omni is mounted to the roof using a pair of tall solar panel mounting feet from AM Solar by using the same technique that we use for mounting our solar panels.....NO HOLES!!!!

Look here for the feet: http://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/mounttl-5
Lew, as you recommended, I purchased from AM Solar two of the tall solar panel mounting feet to attach the SureCall antenna to. Question: Is it important to install the mounting feet directly to the skin of the AS (i.e. metal on metal) so that any grounding requirements for the SureCall antenna are met? Thanks. Dennis
__________________
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #110
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,251
Dennis,

AFAIK , the Sure Call Omni has no external grounding requirements. I use 3M VHB tape to mount the feet to the roof and then SikaFlex 221 over the top of the feet, so there is no grounding to the roof.


Lew Farber
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:16 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Over the weekend I managed to hook up a large external antenna to the crank up TV antenna, extending it about two feet above the TV antenna. It lays flat when the TV antenna is cranked down. Pulling the cable down the fridge vent to a cabinet was fairly straightforward where it's connected to the Weboost 4-GX and Hershey bar indoor antenna. But I have a question about performance.

With no amplification and sitting inside the trailer while parked in the storage yard, my phone reads about -115 dBm. Amplifier turned on it goes to -83 dBm, but only if the phone is literally laying on top of the Hershey bar antenna. If the phone is more than 12" away from the Hershey bar antenna no amplification is realized. At 6" distance, performance is seriously degraded. Is this normal? Would a indoor antenna like the one below be significantly better? In other words, fill most of the interior of the Airstream with a significantly amplified and usable cell signal (i.e. 83 dBm per above experiment)? Downsides? Just not excited about spending another $100 to increase range from one foot to two feet.

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wil...50-ohm-311135/
The core issue is the output power for the internal antenna. That candy bar represents what the booster is supposed to do, which is proximal boosting only. I tried a couple of other antennas and got no better. I ended up getting a splitter and jacking this into a 4G WiFi device, and that works great for me.

When shopping for an amplifier, take a close look at the 'indoor' coverage. And keep in mind, the more indoor coverage, the greater separation required between the outdoor antenna. This may be a real issue in such a small space. I know with my 4G Home model (installed in the home, not the Airstream), I had to get a lot more separation than I would have thought otherwise.

-brad
__________________
bbdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:32 PM   #112
Rivet Slave
 
Rocinante's Avatar

 
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,127
Blog Entries: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Dennis,

AFAIK , the Sure Call Omni has no external grounding requirements. I use 3M VHB tape to mount the feet to the roof and then SikaFlex 221 over the top of the feet, so there is no grounding to the roof.


Lew Farber
Hi, Lew! Maybe a silly question, but how many of those feet to you use for each SureCall antenna? I don't want the antennae bowing down in the wind, so wondered whether maybe you used 1 or 2 feet for each one.

Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")


Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fan-Tastic fan install Gordon Watt Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 28 08-15-2011 11:41 AM
Brake install -INSTALLATION/ADJUSTMENT/WIRING Sharon Lee Brakes & Brake Controllers 10 07-21-2002 07:47 PM
Black Water Tank Flush-Install JaceBeck Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 0 04-30-2002 11:54 AM
Where should I install new batteries? Andy R Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 3 03-31-2002 10:01 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.