Old 03-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
You can connect multiple devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
For those of us less technically savvy, what does the MiFi accomplish that a hotspot on one's phone doesn't?

Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Ok. Going with the Drive 4G-X and Surecall omni. Just let me know what cable to order from your reference. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Just going to leave this here: http://www.air802.com/antenna-cable-...lent/?ctid2=20

Better cable, custom ends no connectors like that over priced trash from 3G store. good service, fast shipping.

If it where me, I would ignore 3GStore's advice and buy the Drive. Second the Surecall is for the external antenna, not internal. It's a better antenna then the small magnet that comes with it. If you're just parked in town though, the small one should suffice. If you're like us, out in the boonies, the Surecall is worth the investment.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #45
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
For those of us less technically savvy, what does the MiFi accomplish that a hotspot on one's phone doesn't?
Your phone can't connect multiple devices or network. Most MiFi's are like tiny routers that can usually handle about 10 simultaneous connections.

Also, connect your phone to your laptop for an hour and let me know how hot it gets. Using the hot spot has it's place, but it's not something I'd use if I want the internet around all day.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Weboost install

Thanks for the replies about the MiFi. I hope I'm not getting too far off the original topic, but I see the MiFi with AT&T is $20 per month to allow usage of a shared data package. This seems a little steep if it's only going to be used occasionally. Is there a less expensive way to go about it?

I have the Wilson DT4G and the stock desk mount interior antenna does great for broadcasting the cell signal throughout the trailer. However, the MiFi working as a router sounds like a great way to allow the kids to tap into service with devices like iPads, but at $20 a month not so much....
Old 03-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Matt, see that you got the answers. When I use the candy bar antenna I keep the MiFI about a foot or so away. Since I work from the road I can sit at the dining table and make calls with my iPhone and data with the MiFi. The candy bar works fine. I also have the small desk top antenna (301211) that I use most often. Sits in the corner under the TV in my Classic during the daytime covering the front of the trailer. At night I sit it on the corner of the table and point it to the back of the trailer. That works well.

The only issue I've ever had is if I need to use the Wilson/WeBoost Yagi and need to point it across the trailer. That may cause interference with the internal antenna. If you have a hardwired antenna, like the inside roof mount shown by Bold, since it's gain is higher you may get the dreaded red lights which indicate oscillation (BAD stuff). That's why I rather like the small portable units. That's about the only downside I can see. Just need to test locations and exterior antennas.

I use the 4G-X and it has gotten good test reviews at Technomadia.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:24 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
What do you guys think of this as a Varizon user:

http://www.amazon.com/SureCall-TriFl.../dp/B00K63J0OS
Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #49
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
That you're over-paying.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Matt, see that you got the answers. When I use the candy bar antenna I keep the MiFI about a foot or so away. Since I work from the road I can sit at the dining table and make calls with my iPhone and data with the MiFi. The candy bar works fine. I also have the small desk top antenna (301211) that I use most often. Sits in the corner under the TV in my Classic during the daytime covering the front of the trailer. At night I sit it on the corner of the table and point it to the back of the trailer. That works well.

The only issue I've ever had is if I need to use the Wilson/WeBoost Yagi and need to point it across the trailer. That may cause interference with the internal antenna. If you have a hardwired antenna, like the inside roof mount shown by Bold, since it's gain is higher you may get the dreaded red lights which indicate oscillation (BAD stuff). That's why I rather like the small portable units. That's about the only downside I can see. Just need to test locations and exterior antennas.

I use the 4G-X and it has gotten good test reviews at Technomadia.

Do you disconnect the candy bar to use the other desktop antenna? Why not just use the desktop one?
Old 03-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Yes I would need to disconnect/reconnect. That's why I seldom use the candy bar. But it does come with the 4G-X along with the stubby external antenna. I don't think you can buy just the 4G-X by itself. So you will end up with the Candy Bar, Stubby and buy your choice of indoor/outdoor antennas. And then cables and adapters for all of the above based on how you plan to mount all the bits and pieces.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Not sure why you would ever want the candy bar over the small antenna?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Yes I would need to disconnect/reconnect. That's why I seldom use the candy bar. But it does come with the 4G-X along with the stubby external antenna. I don't think you can buy just the 4G-X by itself. So you will end up with the Candy Bar, Stubby and buy your choice of indoor/outdoor antennas. And then cables and adapters for all of the above based on how you plan to mount all the bits and pieces.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
The $20. a month MiFi with Verizon can be turned off with them if you are not traveling that month.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Still looking for help on routing antenna cable on a 2015 FC 23'.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:10 PM   #55
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
Still looking for help on routing antenna cable on a 2015 FC 23'.
Route it the same way your TV cable is routed.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Thanks! Sent you a PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Route it the same way your TV cable is routed.