Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Want to install Rear view camera 2000 Excella

I want to install a Voyager rear view camera on my 2000 Excella . It looks like the only place is above the clearance lights . In order for it to work the lights need to be on . My question is will the glare from the lights cause a problem with the camera view ? The newer Airstreams have the lights mounted higher on the roof than mine . If I install under the lights the emblem is in the way . Has anybody installed one this way above the lights?
Thanks , Les Grace
Toledo Ohio
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I installed a Voyager camera in the back of my 2006 Bambi, mounted on the license plate frame. I just tapped into the license plate cables (going to the bulb), and ran my Voyager off of that. I don't know if this works for you. Yes, you must have the lights on- but I consider it a great safety reminder. It rocks. It is so great to see what's behind you, things that extended mirrors simply miss.

I did it by ordering a couple adapters that prevented me from having to cut any wires. I got a 2:1 tail light splitter that made the single bulb socket into two. I put the bulb back into one of the sockets (actually, I put in a bright LED bulb instead, but that is irrelevant). Then I plugged in a Bulb-socket-to-2-wire assembly that brought the two wires out for 12V power. I spliced these into the assembly Voyager give you for power. If you bring in your taillight bulb into a NAPA or other dealer, you should be able to get all these parts. I ordered on Amazon. That's it. Voyager has great range. I powered it up and drove around the block, and you had to be a half block away to lose signal.

I put the quick disconnect loosely behind our license place. I used a knurled knob to attach the Voyager. If I choose, I can disconnect the rear view camera in a minute, and put it away for anti-theft.

Don't know if this works for you or not.
larry9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:45 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Thanks for the reply . That is a good idea .
Les
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote