Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #41

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
My wife and I were chucking as we read your post. We’ve been through that learning curve. It takes a few trips to get to the place where you both are communicating in a way that works. It happens, don’t give up, and have some patience. In the end you’ll both be happy you worked as a team to safely back into your parking spot
Oh, she can put me within inches of where we want the trailer to be, but give her a walkie talkie and everything falls apart.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:40 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Has anyone tried the Baofeng Ham radios? Cheap on Amazon.

I think, because they are programmable, that they can do FRS and much, much more. I have no personal experience with them though.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R...=baofeng+uv-5r
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:41 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Went to The-Store-That-Will-Not-Be-Named yesterday and picked up a pair of Uniden walkie-talkies.

Cheap — $24 for the pair. Bonus: They use the same style USB connector that works for all my bike lights.

These things are small and light, even with batteries in place. Nothing like the brick-size walkie-talkies of my youth.

I decided to go with a model that has minimal features, to make it easier to use.

One feature I do like — when you release the talk button, it sends a “roger” beep, so person on the other end knows when it is clear to respond.

Fortunately, does not have the voice activation — something I would have to disable.

As for who talks when, our plan is to have the person in back, giving directions, to hog the mike — keep the key pressed down the whole time.

If the driver needs to talk, can give a wave.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
One question, how does one teach one's better half to remember to push the button before she starts speaking or release it so I can speak?

I usually see her reacting before I get the verbal instructions.
Wow, did you hit that nail on the head. That's the biggest problem I have with them. I bought a nice pair of WT's ( don't remember the name right now ) , but I cannot get my better half to push the button before she starts speaking or conversely release it, so I can speak.

Sometimes, she'll ask me if I want to use them and I say, No, just leave them in the truck and wave to me ! LOL!
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:54 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
One question, how does one teach one's better half to remember to push the button before she starts speaking or release it so I can speak?

I usually see her reacting before I get the verbal instructions.
Stop everything you are doing. Turn off the truck. Walk calmly over. Give her a hug/kiss and say "I love our life".

Walk back to the truck and carry on.

Seriously, happy wife happy life.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:02 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Just received my "reconditioned" Cobra, waterproof, floating walkie talkies from an Amazon supplier. We are sailors so will use there also.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Jones View Post
Has anyone tried the Baofeng Ham radios? Cheap on Amazon.

I think, because they are programmable, that they can do FRS and much, much more. I have no personal experience with them though.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R...=baofeng+uv-5r

I have a few of these radios and they can be used for FRS. They do need to be programmed for those frequencies which is not a simple task for someone who has never done it before. But if you like gadgets, go for it! PM me if you would like to get started.

Be careful as they can also broadcast FRS over 1W which is against FAA regs.

Also you may want to just take a HAM class and get your license!

If not, as others have mentioned before, FRS (family radio service) radios are great as well and cheap!
Old 02-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have pair of Cobra micro talk model # PR590WX, very small [fit in palm of hand] has 22 channels & 38 privacy codes, work well over 1 mile, have had several yrs. so don't no what cost but not exp. We use when I pull AS and wife follows with boat in tow. We have used for other things several times but I'm very satisfied w/them, also use 4 AAA batts.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote