Old 01-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #29
Certifiable

. , .
Saints v. Pats this year buddy!
I've heard Verizon is another good choice at about the same price but I would love it if I could skip a few months every year. Up here in the big, bad Northeast we get this thing called winter which I believe y'all are experiencing this year for a change. The closest I get to true steamin' these months is right here on the forum. Sirius for us too. Let's go Mets!

Old 01-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
I am sssooooo hopeful the Saints make it that far - gotta beat the Bears.

And yea, we're having more "winter" than most years, but the "promised" (or threatened) snow didn't arrive today after all. But it didn't keep the whole town from a panic. The grocery stores sold out, schools and gov't closed... and we get rain. Cold, but just rain.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Loving all the Bears love!!!!

Great to see that there is so much support for the SuperBowl Champion Bears here, from the VERY deversely living group of fine human beings, that happen to all be crazy for AirStreams - the the bears!

Never heard of a fine combination - AS's and the Bears!

russtttllle, russtllllle, FLAME SUIT is out and fully operational!!!!

I'm waiting!

From Chicago myself many years ago, and it is the best place to be from, period. WHo knows, I might head back there some time in my life.

Axel
SilverToy
Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by racoco
There's really no good or bad time to pick up a Mac.
Or anything electronic actually. Just load it up with all the power you can get and buy the latest version available at the time. As 2air said, "It will be obsolete as soon as you open the box.

Now having said that, I'm waiting for Apple to release the next version of the OS before I make my next Macintosh purchase, a Macbook Pro laptop. The next version is supposed to have "Boot Camp" built in, so you can boot the laptop as a Windoze PC, or as a Mac without add ons.

I have a lot of GPS software that only runs on a PC, and I really don't want to take two laptops with me for travel. Garmin is supposed to release Mac versions of the software, but I haven't seen it yet.

Randy
Old 02-01-2007, 10:06 AM   #33

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
Thanks 2air. Should I wait until June? (I always thought January was the right time to do something like this.)
I picked up my first Mac, a Macbook Pro just after Thanksgiving. I took advantage of a sale at the Apple Store where they would meet all authorized Apple dealer prices. Amazon.com at the time had a sale for $100 off, plus cheaper prices for the wireless mouse and some applications. The store matched it all, and I didn't have to wait. I can't see much changing in the hardware soon.

The Macbook Pro went through its upgrades late this fall so you get the Intel Core 2 Duo processor along with a 120 gig hard drive and a meg of memory. Nothing more really is going to happen until this spring when Apple puts out the next release of the operating system which is tagged Leopard. It's going to have some neat features. You can go to the apple.com web site and look at the videos they have regarding the new features and see if its worth waiting for, or spending the money to upgrade once it becomes available.

I've used PC's all my life so this was a change for me. It's a slick piece of hardware with some equally slick apps that are built in to it. Keep in mind that with the new Intel processors you have a couple of options in running Windows if you so wish.

Regards.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:08 AM   #34

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodfrey
The next version is supposed to have "Boot Camp" built in, so you can boot the laptop as a Windoze PC, or as a Mac without add ons.

I have a lot of GPS software that only runs on a PC, and I really don't want to take two laptops with me for travel. Garmin is supposed to release Mac versions of the software, but I haven't seen it yet.

Randy
Keep in mind that you still need to purchase a copy of Windows. Boot Camp is only the facilitator that gets you to Windows. I'm also looking forward to some more GPS software. There are some out there but not from the major GPS software folks who produce PC versions.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Keep in mind that you still need to purchase a copy of Windows.
Roger that....
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #36
Happy Trails

2005 16' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Delaware , Ohio
Hi M. Blue,
I have an EyeTV, an older one that I have used in our Bambi for a few years. It cost a few hundred dollars new. It's not particularly high resolution, but we use it on a 12" Mac iBook. I used to lug a small DC portable TV around with us and it was such a pain to haul it in and out of the back seat of our truck each night. But EyeTV is very small and packs well in your AS. You can just scan the local broadcast TV and unless you are in some remote place find one or more channels UHF or VHF. I like scanning local channels because you always get some local perspective on the place where you are Airstreaming. Sometimes on a local news show they will tell you about things to do in the area that you wouldn't have known about before. Nice.

You really don't need a 17" screen either. In fact, I like things small in an AS and our Ibook fills the bill. The EyeTV gets its power from the iBook, and that can be run from the computer's battery. You can watch TV for 4 hours without problem, and doubtless you can get a DC plug-in for the iBook if you need more than that. It's a great system. I recommend it.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:00 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Great to see that there is so much support for the SuperBowl Champion Bears here, ...
OK - that's just rubbing it in, and maybe (read maybe in extreme quotes with a hopeful sigh) premature. After my guys got ...well... whipped, I gotta go with the Colts. At least Peyton is Archie's son; that's kind of a Saints connection.

Honestly at this point, I just hope its a good game and not lop-sided and boring. But then, I could just go work on the AS...
Old 02-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #38
Certifiable

. , .
Yea, it would be a shame if the Colts destroyed dabearcubs 43-12. Gametime is @6:30. Game over @ 8:15.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #39
Certifiable

. , .
Uh, just don't look at my picks from post #29. That was somebody else.... Yeah, yeah, that's right ... Somebody else.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Mistral,

Be careful you don't hijack your thread with the football talk.

Randy

Old 02-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #41
Certifiable

. , .
I think I will be waiting until spring for the Leopard O/S which is about the same time a certain Manning will be slipping on some hardware on his ring finger. Better?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Works for me