Old 03-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
TV Audio Output

Our 2012 Flying Cloud 27FB has Samsung TV's and DVD player, and a Sony stereo head unit. When we play movies on the DVD, or watch programming off the air or from cable, I can only get audio through the cr@ppy little speakers on the TV. I have toggled through all the sources on the Sony while the TV is on, and get no audio choices for the TV or DVD player.

The rear of the main TV has no audio output jacks. There is, however, a stereo pair of RCA cables hanging out through a hole in the back of the TV. They are connected to a longer stereo cable that is bundled with the HDMI and antenna cables that disappear into the hole above the antenna amplifier. The cable hanging out the back is certainly not OEM Samsung. It must have been added by Airstream. The TV in the bedroom does not have it. (we've removed the bedroom TV - we have better things to do in the bedroom than watch TV)

Can anybody shed any light on what the little "pigtail" hanging out the back of the TV is for? Is it possible to get TV audio through the main sound system? The AS owner's manual is no help.

Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Did you buy your AS preowned? Are the cables red and white? Its possible the TV was replaced by the previous owner.

Newer Samsung TV should have a 3.5mm audio out jack. You'd have to get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter to connect the audio cables hanging behind your TV.

For DVDs there should be an audio connection between the DVD player and the Sony head unit. I can't sending the audio via HDMI cable to the TV rerouting the audio back to the head unit from the audio out of the TV.

If the Sony head doesn't have an audio input you will not be able to get DVD or TV sound playing back through the main speakers.

What is the model of Sony head. We can download the user manual.
Kelvin

Old 03-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
As I read OP's post, the cable is hanging out of the back of the television. It sounds like someone modified the TV to add audio output (or input). The cable they are connected to must go to some other piece of equipment. Find the HDMI cable and see if the audio cable is with it and what it is connected to.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
Pictures take the guessing out of the equation.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
To run the audio through your main speakers try this:
On the stereo unit control knob, select CD2.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Thanks to you all, good suggestions. I'm a hifi hobbyist, so I get the interconnection issues. And it is quite odd to see this "pigtail" hanging out of the back of the TV.

Yes, I bought the trailer barely "used." But I think the TV's are original from Airstream. The trailer was only about 18 months old, and the man who bought it new developed health issues and hardly used it at all, and I bought it on consignment from the dealer he bought it from. Nothing in or on the trailer has been modified, as far as I can tell. The two Samsung TV's are different sizes, but belong to the same model group - the remotes are identical.

The Sony head unit is a DSX-S300BTX. I've downloaded the manual, and this model doesn't have any native auxiliary audio inputs. If you want to add inputs, you need a "SensMe" module, a Sony accessory that also enables head unit control of up to 3 CD changers.

The Sony manual is typically cryptic. I deduced from reading about the source selector that it would toggle through a source called "SensMe" and I didn't get that. Instead, I got "CD," and when I used "mode" I got three choices, all showing "no magazine." That led me to deduce that there is a "SensMe" module attached. but there is no CD changer. Hmmm.

I played a DVD, and toggled through sources again on the Sony, and AHA! Silverbee is right! Audio from the DVD through the stereo when on CD #2! I then went to the TV and unplugged that "pigtail." No more DVD audio from the stereo.

So, now I think I understand why Airstream set it up this way. It's not the best, but will have to do. They couldn't pull analog audio from the DVD alone and send it to the Sony SensMe module, because then there wouldn't be a way to get TV audio to the stereo when the TV is getting signal from antenna or cable. Normally, TV audio would be available at a 3.5MM headphone jack and/or at a pair of audio output jacks - but this model of Samsung TV doesn't have either. I can imagine the Airstream stereo installation tech going "WTF?" when he unpacked the first of this batch of TV's. He had a connection diagram to follow, and this TV wasn't gonna work. Hence the "pigtail." They added the pigtail by (probably) just tapping into the speaker connections inside the TV. I imagine somebody in the purchasing department got yelled at, but they had to use these TV's to keep up with the production schedule.

When a headphone jack is available, it normally will disconnect the internal speakers when you insert a plug in the jack. Since there's no jack in this case, the speakers in the TV stay on, which is bothersome because they're so tinny. So the TV volume must be set fairly low, and the Sony volume must be cranked up, which is always less than ideal: the old signal strength vs. input gain conundrum. And since there are no separate audio outputs and no headphone jack, there's no menu choice on the TV to turn off the internal speakers.

So, anyway, problem solved - or, as solved as it's gonna get. Thanks to all you guys who replied - it got my brain in gear and I figgered it out. I have no idea how many trailers of similar vintage are out there with this oddball setup, but maybe this thread will help somebody else noodle their system. I would imagine the number of trailers with this setup will be limited to the ones that have this Samsung Series 4 model 4003 26-inch as the primary TV.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #7
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
More comments about this setup.

Now that I found the DVD audio, I played a new audio CD today and found the whole thing, how shall I say, less than satisfying. To put it mildly.

I mentioned I'm a hifi hobbyist. I take music reproduction pretty seriously, and have built a home system over about three decades that suits me. This Airstream system doesn't. But then, I didn't really expect it to. Especially now that I know how signal gets routed.

The Sony head unit doesn't contain a CD player. So, to play an audio CD, the digital audio signal has to go from the DVD player via HDMI to the TV. Then the TV converts the digital audio signal to analog, in this case strictly for the little teeny cr@ppy speakers in the TV itself. That analog signal exits the TV via the "pigtail" and travels through at least 15 feet of audio cable back to the Sony head unit. The resulting sound is short on depth, very little bass, overdriven in the midranges (scratchy piano, crackly trumpet) and generally just - - not satisfactory.

The Sony head unit, with its "SensMe" module, has three inputs. I'm pretty sure the Samsung DVD player has analog audio outputs. Can't be 100% sure until I pull the unit out, since there's no model number on its faceplate and, of course, there's no manual in the Airstream owner's packet. But, if there is a pair of stereo output jacks (every DVD player I've ever seen has 'em), then I can connect the DVD's analog output directly to the Sony's SensMe module. We never watch TV anyway - we watch videos, mostly - so won't use the TV audio out, on CD#2, very often. We will use the DVD's analog audio, for both DVD's and audio CD's, on CD#1.

The setup from Airstream had to be simple, so any audio that came out of the TV would go through one place - CD#2 on the Sony. I understand that. But I think I can improve things with just one stereo audio cable. That way, I'll be getting audio from the DAC (digital-to-analog converter) in the DVD player, which one would assume would be a heck of a lot better than the DAC in the TV. And two feet of cable instead of fifteen.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I kept it simple. I use a USB powered sound bar.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
While the sonic quality of the TV going though the Sony radio is better than the TV's internal speakers, having the sound coming from behind me negates this advantage. It's unnatural.

My 2013 Flying Cloud has a Samsung Blu-Ray Player BD-E5300 and I was able to download the manual from the Samsung site. Only HDMI and Coaxial Digital Audio outputs, no analog.

Michael (AWCHIEF), I would like to know more about your sound bar solution.

Greg
Old 05-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Further observations. Again, my trailer is one year newer.

My TV has an analog audio output.

Interestingly, they used a three segment cable to carry the sound to the Sony radio and actually physically cut the third female RCA connector (Yellow, composite TV signal) off rather than using a two segment cable.

Greg
Old 05-11-2015, 11:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
And for some 2015 models ... the pigtails audio outputs on the main TV are still there ...
Old 05-20-2015, 10:45 PM   #12

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I am pretty disappointed in the audio set up Airstream has installed in my 2012 Flying Cloud. As mentioned earlier there is a pig tail coming from the main television into the sony aux input box. The sound quality is so poor they installed a filter in line to bring down the distortion. In fact there was also a filter in place on the sub output. I tore it all apart today to get to the end of this. What I ended up doing was replacing the sub woofer with a much better quality powered sub. That set me back a couple hundred. Then since the Samsung TV did not have any proper audio outputs I switched the screen with the one I had in my bedroom. This unit is I believe a VISIO, it is a little larger and it has proper audio jacks. I tried to run this directly into the Sony stereo bypassing the aux box which is really meant for CD changers but the stereo didn't recognize the signal. By removing the filter to the subwoofer and getting a proper audio signal it's a night and day difference. I intend to eliminate the sony stereo all together one day. I would like my audio to connect directly into the stereo.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
For my Sony head, I had to buy a separate audio input "box" in order to have jacks for an RCA cable from the TV. Mine is a 2007. The box has multiple input ports, and I had a heck of a time finding it, as my radio was out of production in 2010, when I bought the AS.,,,,but it works great.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This is the input box I got:

Sony XA-300 Auxiliary input adapter for UniLink receivers at Crutchfield.com

No longer available from this vendor....I'll look some more.

Edit: Several on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...A-300&_sacat=0

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote