Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
TV antenna+cell Phone+Laptop=?

We plan on using our laptop as a TV by connecting it to the cable at the campground so don't need the TV antenna. So, while the AS is at Timeless Travel Trailers for major hail repairs, I've asked them to remove it.

But, got to thinking, why not hook the FM radio (used more then a TV by us anyway), the cell phone, and the laptop to the TV antenna thereby increasing the ability of the cell phone tower to communicate with our phone and laptop?

Will this work to advantage?
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Not to a noticeable degree. TV antennas are tuned to the frequency required for TV signals. FM radio and cell phones work off of a completely different set of frequencies. In order for your other devices to see some improvement, you will need antennas (available at lots of stores like Radio Shack) tuned to the proper frequencies. You might see a little improvement in the FM Radio signal, but it will be very slight.

Good Luck
Old 04-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Thank you
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Elvie,

Why remove it? It doesn't do any harm, unless you are running out of real estate for your solar panels. A reason to keep it is so the next guy who owns your trailer can have it (we all upgrade, don't we?)

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Elvie,

Why remove it? It doesn't do any harm, unless you are running out of real estate for your solar panels. A reason to keep it is so the next guy who owns your trailer can have it (we all upgrade, don't we?)

Pat
I agree. Also, on my 1983 Excella, the TV antenna is the FM antenna. I will admit, I don't know what your Airstream uses for the FM antenna, but be sure and check.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvie View Post
We plan on using our laptop as a TV by connecting it to the cable at the campground so don't need the TV antenna. So, while the AS is at Timeless Travel Trailers for major hail repairs, I've asked them to remove it.

But, got to thinking, why not hook the FM radio (used more then a TV by us anyway), the cell phone, and the laptop to the TV antenna thereby increasing the ability of the cell phone tower to communicate with our phone and laptop?

Will this work to advantage?
A cell phone can and likely will be damaged beyond use by hooking it to an antenna not specifically designed for it. This also applies to any other device that transmits, such as wifi adapters etc.
The FM radio might work better, but I image it already has its own outside antenna.
However I certainly would not remove a factory installed antenna from a trailer that new, If for no other reason than resale value.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Vaporville , Confusion
Dont do it

Antenna's are designed specifically for the device/application that they are to be used for. You COULD theoretically remove the tv antenna, and use the boom bar that its mounted to and add a cellphone antenna and a wifi antenna. But its really unnecessary to do what you are proposing. I personally would re-think your plan. Why do you want to have 1 laptop and do everything with it? What happens when it stops working in the middle of a trip? TV's are so cheap now that I cannot imagine setting up the way that you describe. And I do have a TV tuner on my laptop, as well as all sorts of streaming media devices. I would get an LCD tv with VGA in, and a Western Digital WDTV and have a laptop, and call it a day. Just my 2 cents.
TropicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Choices!

WOW, too many choices. Looks like we'll leave it up there and look into using the right antennas for the computer and cell phone.

Using the laptop for TV and internet saves one piece of equipment. We are mostly full timing in the Bambi 16, and are minimalists as you might imagine-we won't get into a fight if we both want to use the laptop for different purposes, I hope.

You know, I put the antenna up and turned it around when we were staying at Catalina State Park near Tucson to see if it would improve the reception for the NPR station there but it did not seem to make any difference, leading me to wonder if the FM radio is using the rubber ducky antenna instead of the TV antenna.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

You know, I put the antenna up and turned it around when we were staying at Catalina State Park near Tucson to see if it would improve the reception for the NPR station there but it did not seem to make any difference, leading me to wonder if the FM radio is using the rubber ducky antenna instead of the TV antenna.
It does.
If you are experiencing problems with wifi reception inside your Airstream, as we are, you can get a wifi signal booster and simply plug it into a 120 volt outlet and place it just outside your door. Reception will be improved without removal of any hardware.
Linksys Refurb Wireless-G Range Expander - Wireless G 802.11g-Networking Price only $29.99
Old 04-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Vaporville , Confusion
Im planning on installing an external wifi antenna on top of the AS and connectign that to a Wifi repeater for those rare occasions that I need to use external wifi. In addition, I just ordered one of the Wilson 3G signal boosting amps for my 3G router. Will send you a pic once its all installed.
TropicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
FM broadcast is between TV channel 6 and 7 (before digital) so it is an FM antenna.

Wifi is at another (higher) frequency and needs its own antenna.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Yaggi Antenna

When we first moved to Maine and the current outpost we used an antenna obtained from the cell phone company. It is a Yaggi. We also received coaxial cable and I bought a conversion box from Motorola. The Yaggi went up on top of a 20-25' antenna, the coax came through the wall and we hooked it into the motorola box then into the bag cell phone.

A lot of this technology has changed but we still use the Yaggi for TV reception.
If you google up antennas and follow the threads I think you will come up with something.

Also there are a bunch of full timers here that use the internet to post on the Airforums.
Ask, research and you shall be one with the web Grasshoppa.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
OK now I'm thinking leave the TV antenna up there and ask Timeless to make sure the FM radio is hooked to the TV antenna, then ask Verizon (whose cell phones we have) about an external antenna for the cell phones and the computer as I've heard good things about their system, and if they say an external antenna is a good idea, ask about mounting it on the TV antenna and leading a coax cable for them into the AS.

How's that sound?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Quote:
OK now I'm thinking leave the TV antenna up there and ask Timeless to make sure the FM radio is hooked to the TV antenna, then ask Verizon (whose cell phones we have) about an external antenna for the cell phones and the computer as I've heard good things about their system, and if they say an external antenna is a good idea, ask about mounting it on the TV antenna and leading a coax cable for them into the AS.

How's that sound?
Hooking the FM radio to the TV antenna is a good idea.

The cell phone antenna may work better if it is mounted directly on the roof so it can use the roof as a ground plane.

Buried deep within the Verizon basement there is probably a guy that knows a lot about cell phone external antennas however, your chance of getting to talk to him/her is near zero. My experience with Verizon staff on this subject was such a waste of my time that I went to the people that make the external antennas. Look first to verify that your cell phone has a port to plug in an external antenna. If yes, then look up your phone model on their web site, buy the antenna and the adapter to connect it to your phone.
If your cell phone does not have an external antenna port then you would need a system that
requires no physical connection to your phone -
Transmits and receives an improved wireless signal inside your vehicle or trailer. • Requires NO physical connection to your phone
• The system can be used by multiple phones.
• Works with all cell phone models and cellular data cards
• Inside signal range may vary with signal strength
• Must have an external antenna Each Mobile Wireless Amplifier System contains an amplifier, a Low-Profile inside antenna, a 6-foot coaxial extension cable, a universal external antenna adapter, and a power cable that plugs into a 12-volt cigarette lighter adapter.
For permanent mounting Antenna Options Click Here.

Here are some web sites that address this issue.
Cell Phone Antenna, Cell Phone Antenna Booster, Cell Phone Booster
CellAntenna - Cell Booster, Wireless Repeater, Digital Antenna products
Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

You may miss your antenna as it works very well for HDTV reception and cable TV is not available in many campgrounds. Our laptop also has a TV tuner (Pinnacle) and am continually amazed at the quality of reception when hooked up to the trailer's antenna, even at a significant distance from the station, particularly here in the Gulf Coast area. Also must agree with pmclemore that it should stay on there for resale value. My two cents, Pat
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
I'd keep the TV antenna. If it doesn't have the batwing attachment for better UHF/HDTV reception, I'd buy one of those as well - I think they're 20 bucks or so at Camping World.

Since you say you're going to use your laptop to watch TV, I assume you have a TV tuner card for it? If not, get one that has an easy external antenna connection. You can then connect it to your TV antenna from inside your trailer and use the built-in booster in your antenna and the directional aiming of the roof-mounted antenna. You'll get much better reception than from inside the rig.

For cell phone - Wilson (and several other manufacturers) make a wide range of boosters. I've used a number of different ones with very good results. The system typically has a roof-mounted antenna (magnetic or permanent mount) a signal booster/amplifier (that can run off 12V) and an internal antenna, or a wired connection to your cell phone. My recommendation would be the internal antenna model as hard-wiring to cell phones is a nightmare of different connectors, wires, and inconvenience. Also, the internal antenna is generally a small piece of black plastic on a wire that you can hold next to any device you want to boost - cell phone, 3G wireless internet card, etc. Our current system has a VERY low-profile antenna (a hockey-puck about 3" high and 2" in diameter) mounted on the roof. It works quite well.

Since you're trying to be minimal, if you're not already using a 3G (or 3G/4G card) with the laptop - that's a great way to go for internet connectivity.

We did several of these things recently, and I wrote about them in a blog post:
Getting Connected - Riveted

Your FM is most likely connected to a rubber ducky antenna on the roof. I'd just leave that.
tfmkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #17
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Thanks for all the above, let the shopping begin!