Old 10-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Tom Tom One GPS Version 3

Does anyone use this model of gps?

Are you satisfied with it? Any problems? Is it good value for the money.

Ad says it is loaded with usa + canada.

I am a Garmin user who has had nothing but problems with Garmin. $705 worth of junk. Two years and it lost its mind. Reloaded software, did everything service techs suggested. It made it another 6 months. Just quit on me on the road for two months.

Found this model of Tom Tom on sale this evening for $60. Sounds like a good deal.

wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
When I was shopping, tomtom had better prices amazon and ebay. I have used garmin on my boat, great but much slower in finding satellites but that might be due to it's age. My tomtom had problems finding satellites tonight but I finally figured out it was low on batteries, worked fine once charged.
Check the different models, I kept moving up until I had all the features I wanted and was able to get it on amazon for 100, it was ready to go but had the option for first 30 days to get a free download of newest program.
They are always putting out newer models, size of screen or features but some I knew I didn't need. The one I have has voice connected to street names and will warn for lane change, just an aid for the copilot, who like paper maps and books to find our way down the road, this unit does it better. xl440 4.3inch screen

DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tom Tom

My Tom Tom XL works fine though I'm still tryint to figure out how to program it to lead me the way I want to go (the path less traveled).
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
I bought a Tomtom 345S on last week for $99. It finds the satellites quickly. The 4 inch screen is easy to see. The windshield suction mount works fine. It announces the street names for turns.

I went to their website and downloaded a lot of POIs (Walmarts, Home Depots, Cracker Barrels, Truckstops, etc). Be sure to back it up to your computer. There is a lot of user feedback on Amazon. They all advise deleting the French voices to make some room before you download your free map update. I did that and it handled the map update with no problem. It doesn't have much memory to spare when you receive it.

I've found you have to insert Waypoints to make it use the route you want. You can pick
shortest, fastest, bicycle, no interstates. But there isn't one that allows some interstate travel. But it's pretty easy to set up your Waypoints as Favorites and use them to modify the original route the Tomtom calculates. Using it around town I have found that it recovers if you take a road that is not on its route. Haven't tried it on a trip yet.

It is supposed to recommend lane changes on freeways. I hope I don't have to use that feature while towing!
Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
we have a garmin. last trip it took us on a path that noone should have been on. we did make it home ok. but wow, what a road. certainly not one that was trailer friendly. next time we will also look at a atlas. also need to check how we are requesting info, fastest, shortest, most secnic route??
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
1959 24' Tradewind
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
I bought the Tom tom one version 3 a few months ago. I really like it. The only down side is the battery lasts for about one hour. When I drive around its connected to 12v power so its not an issue for me. The best part is I bought in on for $49.00 and $5.00 shipping. Thats a deal in my book.

2014 Intl 23' FB
1959 Tradewind 24'
2011 Dodge Dually Crew
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
the battery isn't doing well on mine. it's about 22 months old now. it discharges unused in a few days. the battery can be replaced if you have the tools. other than that it has served me well.
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:57 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
I used a Tom Tom 1 for several years. It served me well. I gave it to my Grandson, he uses it now. Very dependable unit.
Only problem the display was too small. I went to a Garmin on sale at Best Buy for $170 last year. Much large viewing screen and trafic information displayed in upper left corner. The maps in both are old. Found that updates are needed, I have not gotten off the extra money yet.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
1 Rivet Short
1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
same here...geat value.. but battery sux...i keep it plugged in. I only paid $70 at pepboys so I think it was a steal.if you can get a deal grab one. accuracy is fine...never failed us.
*Life is Good-Camping all around the Continent*
*Good people drink good beer-Hunter S Thompson*
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Nevada City , California
anyone tried the new Rand McNally GPS

The title says it all. Am in the market for a new GPS.
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We bought the cheapo Tom Tom some years ago. Still working well and have not had any trouble with it other than it taking some time to locate satallites when I turn it on. Once on it works well.

Just a side note. Two summers ago we were traveling in central Colorado. We had been to Mesa Verde and were heading to Lake City going through Durango area. We had been there before and know the route. Later, in Lake City at a campground, the owner of the CG and I were talking about the roads. He said he gets calls all the time from people using GPS's and coming from the Silverton side of the mountains. The GPS wants to take them over the mountains on what amounts to very narrow and very steep Jeep trails. They are towing a trailer or in motor homes. If they follow the GPS it would amount to about 25mi. Going around through Durango and blacktop roads it may be 100+ miles. Moral of the story is know and study the big picture of your route using paper maps. Never, never completly trust the GPS. I took some of these jeep trails ( without my trailer) and it was quite a spectacular adventure and well worth it. But a disaster if you get into it in tow or the big MH's.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
I have a two year old TomTom One and we still use it a little bit. I have to say it is a good value for the money. It has always worked. We keep it plugged into the car, so battery isn't an issue. It takes about 2 full minutes to link to the satellites at turn on. A bit annoying.

I think we need to update maps or something because it has given us wrong turns on a couple occasions.

We recently bought a Android tablet and it has a GPS Nav program in it. The Android is far better than the TomTom One. Primarily because you can use finger gestures to zoom in and out on the big screen, and use the 3G to be Googling at the same time. Now, this is useless for driver only situation, but we are always "driver + navigator" in our rig, so navigator has the GPS and Google box. Because of this new toy, we haven't used the TTO much lately.

I was going to get (or consider getting) the Rand McNally. But since we discovered the nav features on Android, I have backed off on that idea. The Android tablet was only $199. I can take it in the trailer at night and plan routes, then hit the go button in the TV. I like that.

But back to the Tom Tom. I think it is a good solid value, with some small inconveniences.

redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote